• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
I dont care anymore....I am starting a storm thread for March 20-21. Got nothing to lose.

Ji

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting run. 850s marginal esp SE of I-95. It will take the heavy precip/rates the Euro is depicting to produce snow in my yard. If it ends up light, forget it, it will be mostly sleet/rain. 

Not sure the second wave is going to end up that suppressed. Its possible, but it will be really interesting to watch this evolve.

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

I know "out here" you guys are good.  As the Governor of the Urban areas, I'd like to see a 50-75 mile shift south.  We may have to put our eggs into the front run thump at this point.

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Second system on the NAM might be ready to do business tho

That's why I'm disappointed about wave 2 trending flat. Wave 1 isn't going to make us all happy. I win with the NAM but then D.C. South rains. If DC south gets 6"+ from it I'm probably fringed up here like the icon and gfs. Wave 2 could be a full region win. 

You also not wrong the nam was about to get us all with wave 2. But that's because wave 1 was stronger. It was essentially showing the global idea from 24 hours ago. Unfortunately it's likely just the nam over amped at range bias. 

Only way to get a hit from the second system is if there's a lot more ridging ahead of it, which will probably bring the first storm north.  The troff isn't going to Amplify far enough west to hook anything back into the coast, once the front gets south, it's over.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That's why I'm disappointed about wave 2 trending flat. Wave 1 isn't going to make us all happy. I win with the NAM but then D.C. South rains. If DC south gets 6"+ from it I'm probably fringed up here like the icon and gfs. Wave 2 could be a full region win. 

You also not wrong the nam was about to get us all with wave 2. But that's because wave 1 was stronger. It was essentially showing the global idea from 24 hours ago. Unfortunately it's likely just the nam over amped at range bias. 

You really don't think we have much chance with wave 2, huh?...

It is definitely toasty at the surface before the precip gets rolling. Even out this way it is in the mid 30's at onset. 850's are good at the start on a line including Frederick county, VA, Clarke, Loudoun, the northern half of Faifax county and DC. Everything north of there is good at 850. South of that line is sketchy. It is a little early to be worrying about temps. But that is what the model shows verbatim.

i'm assuming the cutoff to the north is probably a mix of confluence and having a nice high building in from the lakes.  that helps the dc crew, but i'm assuming that puts southern PA on the watchlist.  weaken the north, and/or strengthen the sourthern vort and i'm assuming they're in the game.

1 minute ago, Amped said:

Only way to get a hit from the second system is if there's a lot more ridging ahead of it, which will probably bring the first storm north.  The troff isn't going to Amplify far enough west to hook anything back into the coast, once the front gets south, it's over.

Yeah you might be right here. I am not sure what to root for lol. If the first wave is stronger/takes a "good" track, I might very well still end up mostly rain, and then completely miss on the second wave. Good news is, I have zero say in how this transpires, so I just roll with it and take whats coming. Fun and interesting regardless of what happens.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It is definitely toasty at the surface before the precip gets rolling. Even out this way it is in the mid 30's at onset. 850's are good at the start on a line including Frederick county, VA, Clarke, Loudoun, the northern half of Faifax county and DC. Everything north of there is good at 850. South of that line is sketchy. It is a little early to be worrying about temps. But that is what the model shows verbatim.

I'm more worried about the time, than the surface temps.  What time is the precip onset?

1 hour ago, RDM said:

based on entire loop - there's multiple more hits in store for the MA after Tu/Wed right on though 02 April...  Going to be a potentially captivating couple of weeks.

Winters where blocking like this sets in between dec 15 and feb 15 is when we get a big winter. Shame this came so late. But better late then never it's fun tracking at least. Been a crazy ride this month. 

1 minute ago, WeathermanB said:

As far as i'm concerned, rates actually increase the closer you get to the rain/snow line. This could help if you're close to the rain/snow line, especially if the rain starts falling heavier it might actually turn to snow.

Yes this can happen, esp with the 850 temps right around 0c as depicted.

This might be your best ever post.

Archived