• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
I dont care anymore....I am starting a storm thread for March 20-21. Got nothing to lose.

Ji

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Glad to hear that. If anyone deserves snow in this forum, it's probably you. Hopefully we get both snow here & you get an epic ski trip in :)

I'm going skiing for spring break out West, so I can't complain about the lack of snow here.

@psuhoffmanwill still complain that he got fringed even in New England. :lol: 

My favorite in the NE is always Killington. Had my spring break there as well. Just won’t say what year. Lol. Out west has to be Park City. Been years since I had a real trip though. I’m jealous of both of you. 

54 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Yeah, sounds about right. Suppressed underneath us until it gets revived off shore just in time to slam Jersey on up. But this time I might freaking chance if it is throwing out these 2' + totals up north. Throw the dogs in the kennel and head on up. With or without my wife. :)

When my wife wanted to come with me on a snow chase to CT back in 2013 and then helped me dig our way off the highway when we got stuck in 40" and didn't complain once I knew she was the one. 

3 minutes ago, Scraff said:

My favorite in the NE is always Killington. Had my spring break there as well. Just won’t say what year. Lol. Out west has to be Park City. Been years since I had a real trip though. I’m jealous of both of you. 

Yeah Killington is pretty good. I enjoyed my trip there 2 winters ago, even though it was a little more icy than powdery when I was there.  Seems like they're doing quite well with snow, so presumably it will be a great place to visit the remainder of the month. 

50 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Right now we have a much smaller group (mostly the regulars) following this and it is somewhat manageable. In the heart of winter we would probably be looking at 5 to 10 times, if not even more, people following all wanting to add into to the banter. We saw that several times this winter where it was an absolute crap fest. Pretty much why we have a banter thread to begin with. To allow an avenue for people to post whatever without trashing the model discussion thread beyond redemption.

THIS... and right now its all in good fun.   We are all in the joke TOGETHER so its fun.  Back in the winter, for whatever reason, there was a group that seemed intent on letting us know how stupid we were being discussing long range stuff and that was grating on some people's nerves.  The banter wasn't fun it was antagonistic at times.  But this was the first year it really bothered me at all.  I love how it is right now, I am NOT against banter and I am not the discussion topic police.  Youall know me over the years...I like to BS with the best of em.   I don't know why suddenly this year it went from a manageable level to out of control.  Maybe two back to back awful snow years?  But for a time it was like 70% crap posts and hard to have any good discussion with all the fights breaking out.  If we can somehow manage to have the fun lighthearted banter that is enjoyable without being hostile and distracting (tighten up when things get real) then its great.  This year toppled over from great into "hot mess" territory. 

35 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Where in New England are you thinking of going? I'm also considering a ski trip somewhere if I can take a few days off, but I'm not sure yet.

I have the week before Easter off...and where I go is pretty open to wherever has the best snow conditions.  I like tree skiing and off trail stuff...I really love to go out west but with a toddler and another on the way along with a LOT of work commitments this year that wasn't possible.  But I am kicking around Jay, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf and Wildcat as my main options.  Might try to hit more then one up in a few days that week.  If a storm gets more suppressed and south looks better maybe Killington but that's only if the other options don't have good soft snow.  I don't mind spring conditions but ice sucks and at my age I just don't feel the need to deal with it anymore. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I have the week before Easter off...and where I go is pretty open to wherever has the best snow conditions.  I like tree skiing and off trail stuff...I really love to go out west but with a toddler and another on the way along with a LOT of work commitments this year that wasn't possible.  But I am kicking around Jay, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf and Wildcat as my main options.  Might try to hit more then one up in a few days that week.  If a storm gets more suppressed and south looks better maybe Killington but that's only if the other options don't have good soft snow.  I don't mind spring conditions but ice sucks and at my age I just don't feel the need to deal with it anymore. 

Awesome... I'm glad your injury wasn't as bad as you thought and I hope you enjoy some good powder days.

22 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Hmmm....I missed that somehow, hope everything works out well and you get to enjoy the trip.

I pulled a calf muscle a week ago.  I have torn that muscle before when I played soccer at Penn State and again in an adult league so its a problem for me.  When it first happened it felt like those other injuries which had me held up for months...but in the last few days its improved dramatically and I am walking fine again with little pain and I am hopeful in another 2 weeks I will be good to go. 

18 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Revelstoke in BC is my favorite...5000 feet of vertical and killer bowls and tree skiing. 

OK back to our hail mary blizzard... I don't want to derail the thread...I will take any further ski talk to banter. 

4 hours ago, mappy said:

Was coming to say the Euro blankets everyone with a foot+

the next weekend thing looks kinda ugly and warm on the gfs, but the Ji storm looks like it has some standard overrunning potential.  the flow looks a bit suppressed, but better vort pass than this past one.

Bolton Valley-Stowe along the Catamount Trail is an option too.  They have 25-40" base in the backcountry now and could reach ideal backcountry conditions (>50" base) by mid-month. 

"We've picked up a foot of new snow since Saturday afternoon, and nearly three feet of snow since March 1. This bounty of pow has the mountain in excellent shape right now. This means you'll find plenty of powder as you explore over 1200 acres of backcountry terrain. We picked up a dusting to an inch of snow as of 6am on Tuesday and snow is expected to continue straight through until Friday. We could see upwards of two feet of new snow over the next few days. You really need to shuffle some things around on your work schedule so you can ski and ride this week. If you don't, you'll be kicking yourself this summer when everyone is remembering their best pow days and all you'll have is a story about a great spreadsheet you made at work this week. We are expecting temps in the upper 20s with snow on Tuesday. Our Nordic groomer won't be out again until Wednesday, so until then enjoy the touring and the powder. The wax of the day will be Blue."

I like this, we are getitng the drop yet again, as spoken about a few days ago with the wave induced - NAO redeveloping. Then, a rise after the drop signaling yet again a storm might be on the horizon and supports Ji's timeframe.  

nao.sprd2.gif

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

THIS... and right now its all in good fun.   We are all in the joke TOGETHER so its fun.  Back in the winter, for whatever reason, there was a group that seemed intent on letting us know how stupid we were being discussing long range stuff and that was grating on some people's nerves.  The banter wasn't fun it was antagonistic at times.  But this was the first year it really bothered me at all.  I love how it is right now, I am NOT against banter and I am not the discussion topic police.  Youall know me over the years...I like to BS with the best of em.   I don't know why suddenly this year it went from a manageable level to out of control.  Maybe two back to back awful snow years?  But for a time it was like 70% crap posts and hard to have any good discussion with all the fights breaking out.  If we can somehow manage to have the fun lighthearted banter that is enjoyable without being hostile and distracting (tighten up when things get real) then its great.  This year toppled over from great into "hot mess" territory. 

Have actually enjoyed the convo, jokes and banter the last couple of days. This is actually the way I prefer it. But like you said, we haven't had people come in constantly reminding us how stupid we are, the models are and our general overall climate is. That gets to be a real drag and quickly and this is not to mention the non-stop whining from some. If some people could learn to control themselves somewhat we could actually have this type of thread throughout the winter with the usual clamping down somewhat at T-Minus 3 days or so before an event of course. But unfortunately some do not have the ability to self-moderate their behavior so the majority have to suffer for their childish behavior. 

5 minutes ago, frd said:

I love the excitment 

Have to agree. Looking at the blocking break down and the 50/50 withdraw on the EPS was great to see. But all that depends on the -NAO breaking down and the GEFS did not agree. Can still score with that setup even without the blocking breaking down but we need the 50/50 where the EPS has it, not the GEFS. GEFS' locations probably get's us a very similar solution to our storm yesterday. One other thing, we will most likely have a colder storm with a breakdown where the cities would definitely be in the game. But no break down and I think we have serious temp issues in the cities as well as potentially to their NW.

14 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Have to agree. Looking at the blocking break down and the 50/50 withdraw on the EPS was great to see. But all that depends on the -NAO breaking down and the GEFS did not agree. Can still score with that setup even without the blocking breaking down but we need the 50/50 where the EPS has it, not the GEFS. GEFS' locations probably get's us a very similar solution to our storm yesterday. One other thing, we will most likely have a colder storm with a breakdown where the cities would definitely be in the game. But no break down and I think we have serious temp issues in the cities as well as potentially to their NW.

The lack of breakdown is why the gefs actually likes the day 10-15 more then 8-10 for snow. But in this case delayed will be denied as climo gets worse everyday. This time a gfs euro blend isn't so bad. Maybe. 

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

If you are going to have a hissy fit then take it to banter. :D

On a serious not. I'll throw up all the snow maps. But it would take me half a day at least so I would expect some recomp. $100 or Mod and banning privileges until our day 8 storm is past either would do nicely.

It's not even a hissy fit or reverse psychology or whatever yall want to call it.  It's about pure, abject bitterness.   I'm going to **** all on this storm.  It's akin to a primal scream...it feels cathartic.  

15 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Any time there's a storm on the map that's a GL low or an app runner, it's stays the same, run after run after run.  

i've been reading this forum enough over the years to know that there's 2 things that suck...a GL low and a 500 vort going above us.  better have a lot of cold air in place before any of those 2 situations happen or else it's "next".

Archived