• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I dont care anymore....I am starting a storm thread for March 20-21. Got nothing to lose.

Ji

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

"Like all freak March weather, the 1958 snowstorm was unexpected. The morning weather forecast made no mention of snow. But by afternoon, light rain had changed into big wet snowflakes, some 2 inches across. The snow fell for 28 hours."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-03-15/news/1991074120_1_snow-march-weather-warm-kitchen

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

1993 was pretty lame in the lowlands. It was a big deal at elevation and also just because of being a triple phase and having very low pressure.

i hated how short term the initial heavy stuff was.  the morning hours were pretty epic, but it switched to sleet too quickly.

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

1993 was pretty lame in the lowlands. It was a big deal at elevation and also just because of being a triple phase and having very low pressure.

for me the thing about '93 that was so amazing was the shear magnitude of the area of snow that the storm laid down.  from the deep south up through eastern Canada with significant accumulations all the way back to central Kentucky and Ohio and deep into Ontario and Quebec provinces.  I don't know of any other storm that encompassed so much real estate with significant snow.

Just now, rcflyermd68 said:

that's a lot of mixed mess

I have a feeling if we get a region-wide 1.5"+ QPF bomb with the potential to support snow, something like DCA would report 4 or 5" while IAD would report 13". Of course it won't happen that way, but if this supports wintry precip it spells power outages 

1 minute ago, kdskidoo said:

for me the thing about '93 that was so amazing was the shear magnitude of the area of snow that the storm laid down.  from the deep south up through eastern Canada with significant accumulations all the way back to central Kentucky and Ohio and deep into Ontario and Quebec provinces.  I don't know of any other storm that encompassed so much real estate with significant snow.

Probably a West Jan 4th storm IMO. That had potential but the low developed off the coast of Florida

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

I have a feeling if we get a region-wide 1.5"+ QPF bomb with the potential to support snow, something like DCA would report 4 or 5" while IAD would report 13". Of course it won't happen that way, but if this supports wintry precip it spells power outages 

GEFS has 1 inch plus on the means

The member plots aren't out yet.  Not sure how much of that is wet and how much is white.

Just now, Chris78 said:

GEFS has 1 inch plus on the means

The member plots aren't out yet.  Not sure how much of that is wet and how much is white.

I see snow mean is 2-3". Not bad given the QPF distribution on the previous run had the 1" QPF mean all the way into upstate new york, while the snow mean was like 1-2" for DC

Just now, Cobalt said:

I see snow mean is 2-3". Not bad given the QPF distribution on the previous run had the 1" QPF mean all the way into upstate new york, while the snow mean was like 1-2" for DC

yep significant uptick

Just now, Ji said:

why isnt this pin thread while another thread that nobody is posting in is not pinned. Makes it annoying to have to scroll down all the time. I am annoyed enough as it is this winter

I think that's the secret though. Keep it like this until the WSW's are hoisted.

Everything looks close enough to me. I'd say 12z is a win so far. If we can cross the 96hr barrier with  an acceptable track I'll start digging into details. Honestly, this is as good a chance as any so far. There won't be a "perfect" anything this year. We just need something to not be overly flawed. We still have that going for us.

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Everything looks close enough to me. I'd say 12z is a win so far. If we can cross the 96hr barrier with  an acceptable track I'll start digging into details. Honestly, this is as good a chance as any so far. There won't be a "perfect" anything this year. We just need something to not be overly flawed. We still have that going for us.

sounds like you like this  disaster more than last weeks disaster

Archived