Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12th - 13th The It's Not Coming Storm Part 2

Rjay

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

picked up a quick 6 inches of fluff.   Amazing mega band.  It has since moved east and down to light non accumulating snow.

Yeah I flirted with the western edge of that band for hours but it never quite backed up enough for to get under it. Another 12 miles or so and I would have gotten at least 3-4" more. As it is I won't be too disappointed with the 5" that I got.

17 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

10 inches last storm and 9.5 today. 

What are your thoughts for the next storm.

More potential for some type of snow around the region with the NAO dropping again and a source of cold air. We could see a flash freeze tonight as slushy patches  freeze-up. The mid level lapse rates look really impressive for tomorrow afternoon. So there could be some streamers.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

More potential for some type of snow around the region with the NAO dropping again and a source of cold air. We could see a flash freeze tonight as slushy patches  freeze-up. The mid level lapse rates look really impressive for tomorrow afternoon. So there could be some streamers.

My hunch is the next potential event may be mostly an inland one but if it happens it’s probably going to be legitimately cold with that sort of surface high to the north 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

My hunch is the next potential event may be mostly an inland one but if it happens it’s probably going to be legitimately cold with that sort of surface high to the north 

During the 2010's, these snowy runs just want to keep going.

4 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Dammit.  I go back to sleep for an hour and the band retreats on me after only 30 more minutes of the good stuff, as per the radar history.  We now have 1.5" of new snow on the ground (and just a coating on paved surfaces) and it's only snowing lightly. Need to get more intensity to make it to 2+" and not sure that's going to happen.  Moral of the story is never sleep while it's snowing, lol.  

Well, we didn't get much more intensity and my final measurement around 8:45 am was 1.7".  Not as much as hoped, but nowhere near as bad as it could've been.  Got to work at 9:00 in Rahway, 9 miles NE and there couldn't have been more than 1/2" here - and I recall watching the radar and seeing a pretty sharp cutoff to my NE.  

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Thanks

14 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks

No problem. I am just happy that we got an opportunity in March to make up for the lack of snow in February. Luckily, the 11-12 winter was the big outlier for the 2010's. This will go down as one of the greatest snowfall decades on record.

1 hour ago, USCG RS said:
3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:
Yup, that area was dancing with subsidence for awhile but it looks like that band over Western LI is finally performing well.
Again, the North shore of Suffolk County is unlike any other part of the coast in the state of NY or NJ.

That I can definitely attest to. North Shore is light years away from the rest of the area

The LI Sound is not a trivial body of water, but one way to look at this is that we are 25 miles from the ocean.  That and most of the north shore is between 100 and 400 feet ASL.  And quite far removed from the NYC UHI.  And runs about 41N.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived