Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12th - 13th The It's Not Coming Storm Part 2

Rjay

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

People see what they want to see.  In January 2015, Steve Dimartino was screaming to watch the observations as we were all noticing that this was busting.  Hours later, bust.  Cranky thought last week's storm was colder and would hit big cities harder.  He busted.  Simply put, these guys bust as much as the next guy.  Could they be right this time?  Sure.  I certainly don't know more than they do.  It's possible not a flake falls in the City tomorrow.

Maybe no flakes tomorrow but probably some within the hour...

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

People always hate on LI and SNE specials. I get it, but it’s annoying. Nassau and Suffolk will see a nice event here, as will most of Connecticut. I think the city sees a few hours of steady snow as well.

Everyone should enjoy

It's not exactly inhuman for a weather weeinie not to enjoy snow that's not coming. People will 'hate' on a storm that doesn't materialize IMBY, just human nature. 

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

People always hate on LI and SNE specials. I get it, but it’s annoying. Nassau and Suffolk will see a nice event here, as will most of Connecticut. I think the city sees a few hours of steady snow as well.

Everyone should enjoy

People hate on interior specials too 

1 minute ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I don't know what people were expecting from this storm. Since Friday night 0z it was a clear consensus from the ensembles for NYC west that this would be at most a 1-3" storm. Anyone expecting more than that has no reason to do so. Long Island and New England is another story. 

Long Island as in Nassau and Suffolk or is this a mainly Suffolk special?

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Mets can be like models in a given winter.  Some years some will see things better  than others.  This winter Steve has been doing fairly well.  It’s been crazy hard to get any of these storms recently right but he’s been close on most of them to the general idea

We're probably just as guilty of seeing things that we want to see.  But unlikely Steve D. and Cranky - who have sought to do nothing but support their initial thoughts - I think people here are simply asking what is going on.  Steve D. - who I actually find to be pretty good for the most part - went apoplectic at the idea of the NWS issuing an advisory for NYC, because he believes only a C-1" will fall there.  When you have a conclusion - as they do - and then will do anything to get to that conclusion, that is not the proper way to forecast an event, even if their forecasts verify.

1 minute ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I don't know what people were expecting from this storm. Since Friday night 0z it was a clear consensus from the ensembles for NYC west that this would be at most a 1-3" storm. Anyone expecting more than that has no reason to do so. Long Island and New England is another story. 

I don't know what people are expecting from comments like this. Nothing is clear regarding the weather, and that goes doubly so for a storm like this. There are likelihoods. Deterministic stuff like this doesn't contribute to anything except someone's existential need for certainty. 

2 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

We're on the cusp of an 8-month period almost entirely devoid of trackable weather. Even if we're being charitable and assume a couple enhanced/mod risks, a tropical threat, and a big heat event, it's going to get really boring here before long. I agree that expectations are probably too high, but you can't fault anyone for holding out hope at this point in the season.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Light rain/snow currently. Hoping for 3-5” here. I think the city sees an inch or two. East of the William Floyd Parkway should have totals approaching a foot-the NAM has some very impressive banding there and potentially west to Rte 110. 

Wind blown light snow.  I smell a bust here btw. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Light rain/snow currently. Hoping for 3-5” here. I think the city sees an inch or two. East of the William Floyd Parkway should have totals approaching a foot-the NAM has some very impressive banding there and potentially west to Rte 110. 

JM, Is this a case if you drove 10 miles North from where you live in LB there would be more snow?

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It’s going to be sooooo close. Especially for me in eastern Nassau. I think this is a non event anywhere west of the deform. I think at least eastern Nassau gets into it for a time and that’s when any impactful accumulations occur.

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s going to be sooooo close. Especially for me in eastern Nassau. I think this is a non event anywhere west of the deform. I think at least eastern Nassau gets into it for a time and that’s when any impactful accumulations occur.

Superstorm93 posted this elsewhere earlier.  Great link.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/tburg/cyclones/

I love a good winter storm just as much as the next person but I think we have alot of wishful thinking/hoping going on right now that this will turn into something bigger for more of the subforum. Honestly, I am getting a bit tired of these snowstorms in March, next winter lets get back to having winter storms from Mid December thru Mid February and we will be back in business.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived