Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12th-13th ULL Discussion

Hvward

2 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

True, but I was still surprised since I didn't expect NAM to be right. Neither did NWS or local TV mets. I was placed under WWA an hour ago; this morning there was not even a mention of snow in the HWO for MBY. The met at WAVY barely mentioned wintry precip in the 5pm forecast...

Yeah, I was a little surprised too.  But the NAM within 48 hours is usually good with strengthening coastal lows from my experience. 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jburns said:

I'll never understand why so many get all excited about those big fat flakes. Most often that signals a brief period of snow.

For me, it depends on the expectations.This was never going to be a big event for us. If I had expected an earlier changeover that never happened to only have a burst of big flakes then yeah that would suck. However, this storm played out exactly as expected. Changeover around dark as the heavy band moved in and I was never expecting more than a dusting up until yesterday morning when they started mentioning an inch. I ended up with at least 1.5 here at the house.

An overperforming blizzard of biscuit sized flakes was as good as this system could have been for us and I liked it!

12 hours ago, jburns said:

lol  When I see a pretty woman I can't have I don't get excited. Same when I see a big fat pretty snowflake that means it will be stopping soon.

Yet in this case the large snowflakes occurred as we transitioned from rain to snow. We saw 30-45 minutes of them before the column cooled and transitioned to more normal snowflakes. Impressive indeed. 

Archived