• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13th ... west Atlantic bombogenesis type low clipping SE New England, more certain ...may be expanding inland

Typhoon Tip

Have toggled ad nauseum looking for the flaw to dismiss the Euro vs. RAPs at H5. Can't find an obvious flag.

There was lots of discussion about the northern stream and better sampling later tonight... perhaps a bigger culprit to watch is the southern stream energy, which imo is the biggest difference 18z GFS / 12z Euro compared to their prior bigger hit runs.

I also went back and trended past 5 RAP runs for H5 at 6z Monday, and you can see the energy over Tennessee trends subtly more robust, so there may be validity to the trend in the GFS/Euro. This more robust southern stream energy stays dominant longer, and delays the "subsume" process thereby dragging the system further east.

I think we want to see this trend reverse for the closer benchmark tracks that hit western areas hard too, and there is still time.

Obviously areas eastern/southeastern SNE have more buffer whether this ticks east or west, and the mid-level fronto will deliver if the qpf maps do not with the farther ots tracks, though verbatim the best lift on 18z GFS looks just offshore. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The models, including the vaunted EURO, only properly diagnose precipitation born of low level forcing....that is the heavy amounts that you see to the east.

In a system this well developed, there will be another band that is even heavier just to the west of the H7 Dry slot that will deposit the heaviest amounts..

This is what impacted W CT, the berkshires and s VT last event.

I'd hit this band up

IMG_20180311_190411.jpg

36 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yep Scott,  lock me in for my 6-12".  I do have a question for you.  During that last storm the pivot/deformation band sat over the W Mass/S VT to give them the high totals.  Given the slp track now SE of the benchmark where would that probably set up?  Seems like there is many times a secondary max way west?  Edit.  Since I wrote this and reviewing the new posts my question has been answered,  further east than me!

Who is Scott

Have to check back in later to see if this isn't the normal, "Take me to the bridge", stuff that happens every time the models update or whether it misses us altogether. NWS hasn't done too badly lately (unless snow is the ONLY factor,in which case the monster that slammed us a week ago last Friday was a bust--when in fact it was a wicked good storm to watch unfold). Last week was amazing in the Berks and most of the rest of us west and north of 495 did OK or better. NWS is being prudent right now, if you look at the forecast discussion, but seems pretty convinced it isn't going to be a whiff. Should be a lock in by late tonight, tomorrow morning.