SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12th - 13th Scraper

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I can’t believe anything it says after the last two storms. As others said between them both I should have 24”. Instead I ended up with 3”. 

Throw in last March too. In fact, amounts predicted for me have not verified anywhere close for a few storms now. Most of the time it is less. Understand this is the way it is. Can't control it. Just hasn't been our season the past two. And yet we get 2 feet in Jan 2016 in an otherwise warm winter. Go figure. And I know,  you were in TX. We'll get one again someday. Guaranteed.

FXUS61 KOKX 111802
AFDOKX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
202 PM EDT Sun Mar 11 2018

For QPF, increased amounts across the board by 0.10-0.20 inches from
the previous forecast and this may need to be adjusted upwards with
subsequent forecasts. Used the colder guidance for temps through the
event (close to SuperBlend). This should be primarily a snow event
based on thermal profiles and with most of it occurring at night.
Boundary layer temps and sun angle may however result in either a
mix of rain and snow or a non-accumulating snow during parts of the
daytime hours Tuesday or whatever manages to fall by day`s end on
Monday. Current forecast has the just about all of area at advisory
level snowfall. The exception is over Northern New London County
where a winter storm watch is being issued after collaboration with
the surrounding offices. More zones may be added later today,
especially if models show the storm trending towards the 40N/70W
benchmark. A trend towards the benchmark will also increase the
chances of frontogenetic banding somewhere over the forecast area,
so this will need to be considered as well.

Feb 12 06  comes to mind---- 

Northeast_Snowfall_Impact_Scale.gif.f62b1333a2821d572c81f35ee916d780.gif

A_24hrsfc.gif

19 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Throw in last March too. In fact, amounts predicted for me have not verified anywhere close for a few storms now. Most of the time it is less. Understand this is the way it is. Can't control it. Just hasn't been our season the past two. And yet we get 2 feet in Jan 2016 in an otherwise warm winter. Go figure. And I know,  you were in TX. We'll get one again someday. Guaranteed.

19 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I think there is a sore need for the development of new models, rather than trying to tweak old models.  I've read that the models we follow do particularly poorly for our part of the world during the winter for various reasons (land-sea interactions, gulf stream, etc.)  Theoretically, I wonder if it would be possible to develop a more accurate model, just for the the NE/MA region specifically developed to handle coastal storms.  I dont care if it cant predict storms going into the west coast or a heatwave in the summer, or even if it cant predict a hurricane hitting the Caribbean.  Just a very specialized model that outperforms global and short range models on one specific type of storm in one specific part of the world- call it the north east winter storm model and ensemble system.  Intuitively at least the smaller the region that the model covers, the more accurate you'd be able to make it.  I remember reading that the GFS developed a cold bias because we were trying to fix its overdevelopment of tropical systems.  Well, if we have a model that is specific to one type of storm in a specific part of the country we should be able to increase the accuracy because that is the only thing it's supposed to predict well- it's the era of specialization folks ;-)

• Rjay locked this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived