• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12th - 13th Scraper

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Doesn’t it seem to be a little sparse on the western edge...

Model QPF/Precip maps tend to be underdone on the west side of deepening Atlantic storms. Key is to look at the cyclonic flow on the west side of the storms to get a better idea where precip will extend on the western side (learned that from Bernie Rayno's videos)

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Up to 42 hours it looked great... NAM’s “wheelhouse” is usually inside that range (if we consider it to have one LOL) so I would take a lot of positives from this run... others agree? 

Something just wasn't right with that NAM run. I thought there was improvements at H5 which would argue for a much closer trek towards the coast. Better trough alignment along with more stream interaction. Go figure.

12 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Something just wasn't right with that NAM run. I thought there was improvements at H5 which would argue for a much closer trek towards the coast. Better trough alignment along with more stream interaction. Go figure.

It closes the southern stream vort off too far east this run near the BM restricting precip expansion further west.

namconus_z500a_us_41.thumb.png.f20e3212946a21de4c2e5a6fd970cacf.png

7 minutes ago, North and West said:

I know I’m in the minority after getting rocked on Wednesday, but I could live with it being East of me and my kids having school and my power staying on.

I get that and I think most here would agree; even here in E NJ where totals were very modest the impacts of the heavy wet snow were severe. That said a number of us in these parts have not had a big storm this year ( over 8-9 ), and many wouldn't mind seeing one. Still, no one is going to cry if that doesn't happen. And it doesn't seem to look like it will happen ATM for us. You're not in the minority for wanting better weather for your area. Being without power sucks. Especially if you have sump pumps....good luck up there.

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Is that how the early Jan storm played out? That storm was further baway but still pulled the deform to NYC.

sort of? the overall large-scale trough, if measured from the center of the mid-level northern stream low to the center of the southern vort - is negative tilt. the jan 4 system developed early and got pulled into that negative tilt instead of being kicked out to sea like a lot of guidance showed.  some of it comes down to sensitivity to convection, but it's also very much down to timing of both pieces of mid-level energy and the strength of their associated jets. SSTs are still very warm over the atlantic, which i think will play some part in this.

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

sort of? the overall large-scale trough, if measured from the center of the mid-level northern stream low to the center of the southern vort - is negative tilt. the jan 4 system developed early and got pulled into that negative tilt instead of being kicked out to sea like a lot of guidance showed.  some of it comes down to sensitivity to convection, but it's also very much down to timing of both pieces of mid-level energy and the strength of their associated jets. SSTs are still very warm over the atlantic, which i think will play some part in this.

Thanks

The storm was within 30 miles of bm

Just now, USCG RS said:
3 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

The storm was within 30 miles of bm

yup, passed *just* south of the benchmark, similar to the 12Z rgem, tho a good 15-20mb weaker in the model.

• Rjay locked this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived