March 11-12 Storm - Model Discussion STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

This would be after sundown fwiw

nam3km_ref_frzn_eus_32.png

Given how much the two vorts have separated, there would be a decent amount of PVA in the region Monday evening... I could certainly see an after-dark dusting developing with temps right around 32-33 degrees.

10 minutes ago, 87storms said:

if that ull vort can end a little further north then maybe we can have a late game miracle finish, but that's really just trying to find ways to make it work.  the models suggest that it won't.

What if the ns energy dives in faster and the low develops slower?

4 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

What if the ns energy dove in faster and the low developed slower?

For us to get snow the NS troff axis needs to be over Indiana or further west, I've yet to see a model show it west of  the OH/WV border.

Happy hour = sad hour. :weep: 

I mean maybe the last episode of snow tv for the DMV?  I won’t give away the ending...but the good guys get their ass kicked the entire winter. :poster_oops: 

Oh damn. Are we still in storm mode? Delete delete delete! Oh I mean Aleet Aleet Aleet!!

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

Happy hour = sad hour. :weep: 

I mean maybe the last episode of snow tv for the DMV?  I won’t give away the ending...but the good guys get their ass kicked the entire winter. :poster_oops: 

Oh damn. Are we still in storm mode? Delete delete delete! Oh I mean Aleet Aleet Aleet!!

Time to start looking at retirement property in New England.  Their worst winters are better than our best.  I don’t want to die snowless. 

47 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Neutral or really weak.

Last year was weak, but the 3.4 tri-monthlies and atmosphere (precip patterns and enso precip index) clearly supported a Nina:

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

The current Nina is on its deathbed with a strong equatorial kelvin wave propagating across the Pacific atm (as a result of the strong westerly wind burst in Feb). More westerlies west of the Dateline are in the forecast -- so it's only a matter of weeks before the 3.4 index responds and fades to neutral or even slightly positive.

A third Nina episode isn't impossible next winter, but isn't exactly favored at the moment either.

9 minutes ago, peribonca said:

Just go to McHenry... they rock

Been ages since I’ve gone skiing at Wisp. As a Mountaineer, we would drive out all the time in mega lake effect events and hit fresh pow. So much love for that area. Great spot if you like winter. No doubt. Never fails out there. Ever. I don’t even know how they consider that part of MD. That area should be part of New England. :lol:

8 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Last year was weak, but the 3.4 tri-monthlies and atmosphere (precip patterns and enso precip index) clearly supported a Nina:

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

The current Nina is on its deathbed with a strong equatorial kelvin wave propagating across the Pacific atm (as a result of the strong westerly wind burst in Feb). More westerlies west of the Dateline are in the forecast -- so it's only a matter of weeks before the 3.4 index responds and fades to neutral or even slightly positive.

A third Nina episode isn't impossible next winter, but isn't exactly favored at the moment either.

There was a good bit of discussion about this in the SE forum, because the SE ridge kicked our butt last winter pretty much all winter long.  It seems that it was right on the borderline between neutral and a very weak Nina, but regardless, apparently the upper air pattern was strongly Nina-ish.   

I actually wouldn't be shocked if we had one more threat. Long range ensembles spit out some crazy solutions. One EPS member smokes D.C. nw with a 2-3 foot storm. Another fringed D.C. and jacks VA with 2 feet. There are others. The pattern isn't bad. But I know how late it is and I could care less I'm not rooting anymore I'm just pointing out don't be shocked if we get one more tease. 

Of course 1942 the area had maybe less snow then this year then march 30th D.C. got 12", Baltimore 22", and Westminster  32". 

#hailmary 

15 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

I can't believe with all the precipitation showing up on radar to the south of us in southwest of us that we can get fringed as much as the models look like we're going to be. Something is terribly wrong

Yeah. I’ve been looking at GOES wv loop.   

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I actually wouldn't be shocked if we had one more threat. Long range ensembles spit out some crazy solutions. One EPS member smokes D.C. nw with a 2-3 foot storm. Another fringed D.C. and jacks VA with 2 feet. There are others. The pattern isn't bad. But I know how late it is and I could care less I'm not rooting anymore I'm just pointing out don't be shocked if we get one more tease. 

Of course 1942 the area had maybe less snow then this year then march 30th D.C. got 12", Baltimore 22", and Westminster  32". 

#hailmary 

Yep. I am a bit on tilt right now. But we can still score into early April. At least those of us to the north and west. But with the way the past 2+ years have gone I wouldnt put a dollar on a 100-1 bet that we score a 3 inch event. Hopefully the deck gets completely reshuffled over the summer and we have a great winter next year. Statistically speaking 3 winters in a row like this in my area are just about impossible. I mean. The past 2 years rank in the top 5 worst winters of all time at OKV. There is no chance we have another winter like that next year. Right?

Archived