Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Storm - Model Discussion STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Time to have a drink or 2 and relax. The real fun starts at 0z tonight. Getting pretty close to crunch time.

agreed.  the 18z gfs outcome was entirely based on the GL energy slight east and north, but it's still way too close to call it one way or another.  0z's should definitely shed some light on where this system will ultimately end up.

7 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

GFS seems to have been consistently showing the southern trend. Doesn't seem like it wants to budge. Any other models supporting the 3k NAM right now? Or is it an island?

Most models have come north and west since 6z this morning. 18z 12knam and GFS actually moved west with SLP placement from 12z. It's just they don't interact as well with the stream coming in from the lakes. 

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

18z 3k Nam and Gfs look great for the southern end of the viewing area. Starting to get cautiously optimistic. Both give a pretty good schlacking to the slopes of the southern blue ridge.

He didn’t adjust his timing. Too early for initial after today’s guidance.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Time to have a drink or 2 and relax. The real fun starts at 0z tonight. Getting pretty close to crunch time.

Yup. That's the worst part though - crunch time is seemingly being pushed back continuously. If I had a quarter for every "we'll have a solid idea by 12z on XX" post or tweet I've seen for this thing... I'd be able to do laundry in my roach infested depression laundry cavern in the basement of my building for weeks!  On a serious note though, the position of the low at 00z tues on the 18z GFS was only about 75-100 miles south of the position at 12z. It was at pretty much the same longitude. We're dealing with error ranges here. The bad part of that is that we're on the northern band of the error range. Odds are higher that'll miss south than it will be a hit, but a hit isn't impossible. 

Just now, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

My gut on this is we get fringed...some steady snow for a few hours but 1-2” of slop. Better “stuff” down in Central VA. Another, hey it snowed but not super exciting storm

Good post.  In the end that’s how it looks to me from north of EZF to south of BWI get fringed...northeast and southwest of those locations look solid.  The 3k gave pause but not jumping in on that.  But today was way better than I thought looking at 0z GFs last night.  

2 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Aren’t we at the range when the short-term models are more reliable than the globals?  Also, did the 12z Ukie have anything good for us? 

The short range models are OK and have a purpose in banding and temp detail situations but I’d still tend to lean towards the globals in the actual track of systems. The 12z Ukie was close but a little too Far East 

Just now, snowmagnet said:

Aren’t we at the range when the short-term models are more reliable than the globals?  Also, did the 12z Ukie have anything good for us? 

If you blend every piece of guidance then central VA is the most likely place to see decent snowfall if they aren't too warm. That really hasn't changed much in general even though models have been moving the pieces around. The ONLY model that has had an acceptable solution for potential accums here in the corridor is the 18z 3k nam. It is completely on it's own. No other meso or global drops enough precip fast enough to overcome what will be slightly above freezing temps at best. 

Personally, I pretty much wrote this one off 2-3 days ago. Just didn't trend the right way at the right time and now we're in the short range. Unlikely that we'll see wholesale changes. On the other hand, there have been "hints" of a decent stripe of QPF through the metros and surrounding areas. It's an outside chance kind of deal is most of us are just expecting the worst and hoping something comes out of it. 

As far as your question goes, it's always best to blend all guidance. Meso models can overdo things and globals can broad brush them. The ground truth usually falls in between. If your yard has a legitimate chance at something, you'll know by the end of the 0z suite tonight but the final won't be locked in until probably 0z tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you blend every piece of guidance then central VA is the most likely place to see decent snowfall if they aren't too warm. That really hasn't changed much in general even though models have been moving the pieces around. The ONLY model that has had an acceptable solution for potential accums here in the corridor is the 18z 3k nam. It is completely on it's own. No other meso or global drops enough precip fast enough to overcome what will be slightly above freezing temps at best. 

Personally, I pretty much wrote this one off 2-3 days ago. Just didn't trend the right way at the right time and now we're in the short range. Unlikely that we'll see wholesale changes. On the other hand, there have been "hints" of a decent stripe of QPF through the metros and surrounding areas. It's an outside chance kind of deal is most of us are just expecting the worst and hoping something comes out of it. 

As far as your question goes, it's always best to blend all guidance. Meso models can overdo things and globals can broad brush them. The ground truth usually falls in between. If your yard has a legitimate chance at something, you'll know by the end of the 0z suite tonight but the final won't be locked in until probably 0z tomorrow. 

Thanks for the clarification.  I just about gave up last night, but this morning saw some positive trends to the NW.  I hope the 3K is on to something... and I really never give up until the storm is passed.  I love it when storms don’t do what they were supposed to do (as long as it means more snow for me!) 

Archived