SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12-13 possible coastal event

The Iceman

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how consistent the GFS op, GEFS, and GEPS have been irt how far N this system gets. Measurable snows into SE PA on all 3. Not sure of rates/stickage but point is signal still there. Actually 0z geps 24 hour precip is even farther Northwest and increased again. Again now sure about rates/stickage. As Iceman said, low rates during day wont cut it but we can sort that our later....lets keep the track coming N first. Amazing how the models are diverging so much right now with the Northern ones going farther N and the Southern camp being more squashed. Again, confidence still low on this as minor changes aloft will impact the overall track and end result immensely but sticking with my thoughts from yesterday that there is more room for this to be a N track than a Southern squashed one (exit off NC coast vs FL/GA coast camps would lean more NC). Might not end up a square hit here but the Southern US squashed OTS tracks are probably overdone. 09741084307eb6d5a47b7becd6776b48.jpg&key=300b3b97f4964d9c2d65db5ebe845c65004a6855f21b87a226a930a204186844101577dfd82151ea911fe0d29c8be707.jpg&key=57f00a99968a5ca56df8eaadc5a62659d946dcf2f6512f8d83695aa262d57b6e

Have only seen sref plume 21utc but looks like it is on board, .39 through end of run with more to come. 
Surprising how the SREFS continue to be N and bumping precip with a clear Northwest lean yet the NAM is squashing the lp. Arent they essentially the NAM ensembles? Major disagreement even among similar model families attm.

Random thought....one of the main things keeping confidence lower than usual here isnt necessarily the disparity among guidance even among similar model families. Iceman has a rule that states NEVER go against the Euro and NAM (EE rule) when they agree and this has been fairly accurate in general past few storms. We have the Euro and NAM completely squashed possibly the most suppressed and sheared OTS off the SE Coast than any other guidance. Do we ride them and assume that is the solution that verifies? From a meteo sense, the amplifying ridge out West and trof location off the W Coast are in perfect sync for a downstream SECS look.... 50/50 is present... Neg NAO check.... Diving vigorous ull into midwest and OV trying to close off, check.... SS energy riding across the southern tier states, check. Meteo data alone supports a SECS but some models say nah, nothing to see here, move along. Meteorology vs verbatim modelology the way to go here.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

i don't know how anybody could feel one way or the other confidently. I'm just catching up since I still don't have power but from what I've seen the euro, although still a miss, made some pretty major concessions to the GFS last night. I hope we see a distinct north trend today. IMO it's now or never today as the players on the field should be sampled by 00z tonight. I'm leaning right now on a scraping blow similar to 1/30/18 which won't do much since it is mid march. But since blocking is not nearly as strong as it was then, I won 't be surprised if it ends up further north than that.

Im not all that thrilled with this one.  Even if it does come further north all guidance is showing this is a far less amped up storm.  With it falling during daylight hours I see this as mostly a white rain event if it does creep further north.  Very low (if any) impact for our area.

The majority of the energy shoots offshore with the initial wave and the energy on the backside coming through is too late to give us much more then some white rain.

Im not all that thrilled with this one.  Even if it does come further north all guidance is showing this is a far less amped up storm.  With it falling during daylight hours I see this as mostly a white rain event if it does creep further north.  Very low (if any) impact for our area.
The majority of the energy shoots offshore with the initial wave and the energy on the backside coming through is too late to give us much more then some white rain.
My BK is reopening in a few days.....looking forward to devouring a Whopper in your name at that time! ;-)

My guess before seeing the 12z suite is that this is a miss for us. Being reliant on a full phase to get up the coast to us is generally a losing proposition. Low qpf and rates in March means minimal impact and likely rain. 

Dont look now but the NAM showed massive changes at h5 and tries to keep primary in tact much long, farther N punching it into the Tenn Valley and even lower OV 42-54 hrs. Big shift N and W on this model. Waits for the ull to catch up. Im more focused short range nuances with this threat (60 hours and under) as opposed to final outcome. Too much variability and final solutions on table for confident medium range results.

3k 12z nam @ 60 looks identical to those GFS crush jobs. great trends so far at 12z we are so close to a big storm...
NAM gets primary to KY area. Other 12z models starting to hold primary longer and drive it farther N. 50/50 moving out after retrograde and into a better position with less of a suppression influence on coastal low.

24 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

THIS is a big short term change and maybe something to consider with energy re-emerging from sparse data regions and finally just starting to get sampled. Could be wrong too but I think it is certainly of importance to note:fc953b13999dfbf38caf8c77a2d601ff.gif

What would happen here if we could get that other closed low on the MN/SD border to drop down into the one in the OV?

42 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
1 hour ago, hazwoper said:

My BK is reopening in a few days.....looking forward to devouring a Whopper in your name at that time! ;-)

HAZWOPER is an acronym which stands for Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response. HAZWOPERtraining is covered under OSHA standard 29 CFR Part 1910.120.

;)

Archived