SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one bites the dust. The story of our winter. That pic someone posted the other day that had the season snowfall up until a few days ago is the most depressing thing I’ve layed my eyes at since that Keenum pass to Diggs...it’s gonna take a lot of patience to wait another 9 months before we start tracking again. I don’t know why I got my hopes up for this one. Usually when we start a thread early it means a storm will happen. Oh well...

in other words, I’ll see you at 18z

what if the euro is off its rocker. It seems to be an extreme outlier......i mean the 12z GFS and the 12z Icon showed a good snowstorm. The GGEM was close. The euro isnt even in the same galaxy. I would toss it. Game back on!

Desperate times call for the FV3.  Top left is last night's 00z GFS, top right is the GFS-in-training. Bottom is how much more snow the next GFS gives us.

There are a lot of caveats, but let's ignore those for now.

kl21CoY.png

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

If a global can do this than I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for the EURO to recover just fine.  

either the icon is 2 days ahead or 2 days behind everything else. I mean its German engineering. Has to count for something. So far this year...the ICON/GFS duo have been deadly

8 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Another one bites the dust. The story of our winter. That pic someone posted the other day that had the season snowfall up until a few days ago is the most depressing thing I’ve layed my eyes at since that Keenum pass to Diggs...it’s gonna take a lot of patience to wait another 9 months before we start tracking again. I don’t know why I got my hopes up for this one. Usually when we start a thread early it means a storm will happen. Oh well...

in other words, I’ll see you at 18z

Do you remember where that was? I'd like to look at it.

wpc isn't all in on the euro...

The shortwave coming through southwestern Canada shows some differences in the models early on with the 12Z NAM less amplified across the southern portion of the trough compared to the 12Z GFS/ECMWF/UKMET/CMC. These differences grow downstream into the Plains with little agreement seen among the models. Most model run to run continuity is poor, with perhaps the GFS showing the most consistency over the weekend. However, the 12Z GFS appears to be a stronger outlier with its surface low as it develops and tracks across the South. At 500 mb, ensembles and the majority of deterministic guidance shows a trend toward stronger with the mid-level trough east of the Mississippi River on Sunday into Monday. The is contrary to the 12Z ECMWF which trended much weaker for Sunday across the South. While ensemble scatter low plots show a moderate to large degree of spread on Sunday, a center point of the lows, when considering trends, is nearest the position of the 12Z GFS and 12Z CMC valid 00Z/11 to 00Z/12. The 12Z ECMWF appears too weak with the system at 500 mb while being too far south at the surface, south of most of the latest ensemble low plots and appearing worse than the 00Z ECMWF. The 12Z NAM is significant faster at the surface while the 12Z UKMET also appears too far to the south like the ECMWF, appearing worse-off than its 00Z cycle. No single model or two-way blend is preferred here given the large differences and poor run to run consistency. Therefore, a multi-model blend of the 12Z GFS/12Z GEFS/00Z ECMWF/12Z CMC is preferred with hopefully the strengths of each model being maximized while minimizing apparent weaknesses.

Archived