Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, stormtracker said:

Yup, skunked and it slides right under us.  Good snows in central/s VA.   That's a painful, agonizing map as is.   But it wouldn't take much.  

the northern stream ull closed off and slowed down...had that been as fast as 6z...would of nailed us. With that being said..the precip field is pathetic for such a strong low. Ive seen lows in Alabama give moisture to NE Pennsylvania lol

Though the surface low placement looks better I think that is more a function of the NAM's habit to have the 500's and the surface be out of sync with each other at longer ranges. Thought the 500's actually took a step backwards. General overall look is still progressive. But it's hard to get overly worked up over the NAM at range and if anybody does we need to send PSU with his stupid stick to straighten them out.

40 minutes ago, Ji said:

JB wont be referencing the Brazilian Model for this storm--Fail

https://weather.us/model-charts/bra/usa/sea-level-pressure/20180312-1200z.html

Is he even on board for this storm?  I don't follow him regularly, once in a while I will watch a video or read a post just to see what he is on about if I have time and am bored.... but a couple days ago (last time I checked) he was very non committal and wishy washy on if he thought this would phase or not.  For him that is almost a firm NO since there is rarely a storm he doesn't compare to 1996 or 1993. 

Also...he tends to bust horribly for the DC area in general.  Makes sense because DC has had the least luck with snow over the last 10 years or so of all the northeast cities...and JB simply hypes snow so he will do better in locations that get lucky and get a lot of snow and look like a genius.  And places that don't snow he will look stupid.  Its a simple equation.   I also think he doesn't understand our climo because he sometimes references storms that missed DC as analogs to justify snow in DC lol.  But the last few times I read or watched him I definitely noticed a lack of "talk" about our area...when he does that it isnt good because he usually deals with a bust by just moving on and focusing on the places he did good and ignoring or minimizing where he sucked (here) again. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Is he even on board for this storm?  I don't follow him regularly, once in a while I will watch a video or read a post just to see what he is on about if I have time and am bored.... but a couple days ago (last time I checked) he was very non committal and wishy washy on if he thought this would phase or not.  For him that is almost a firm NO since there is rarely a storm he doesn't compare to 1996 or 1993. 

Also...he tends to bust horribly for the DC area in general.  Makes sense because DC has had the least luck with snow over the last 10 years or so of all the northeast cities...and JB simply hypes snow so he will do better in locations that get lucky and get a lot of snow and look like a genius.  And places that don't snow he will look stupid.  Its a simple equation.   I also think he doesn't understand our climo because he sometimes references storms that missed DC as analogs to justify snow in DC lol.  But the last few times I read or watched him I definitely noticed a lack of "talk" about our area...when he does that it isnt good because he usually deals with a bust by just moving on and focusing on the places he did good and ignoring or minimizing where he sucked (here) again. 

Hasn’t said much.  He nailed yesterday better than almost anyone though.  Had only like 3-5 for NYC til the last minute.  I’ve noticed once inside 72 hours his forecasts for amounts can be pretty good.  Prior to that though he is often off the rails    

3 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

@mappy Can we please ban posting of 6/18z gfs? They are complete garbage runs. No idea why GFS runs 4 times a day with 2 times being old data, lower res.

Either you are completely uninformed or you are trolling. The 6z and 18z GFS receive copious amounts of satellite derived data. It is not "old data" and it is not "lower res" they just do not receive weather balloon data. However, they get aircraft reports etc in addition to the satellite data. 

It has been mentioned time and time again by red taggers that the advent of the modern weather satellite has largely reduced the argument about "the energy not being on shore yet" - it can factor in a bit - but satellites see most if not all areas of the globe. We have geostationary satellites and polar orbiting satellites all sending back great data. Just look at the data that the new GOES sends back. 

Your argument is completely wrong. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

he has hardly mentioned this storm which is concerning. I think in my gut its game over...ensembles suck....pro mets dont like it....all i am hoping for now is just some blind good luck.

JB is the only person i have ever heard talk about the brazilian model which is why i made the post. 

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm OK with the Central VA bullseye at this range. Models do that a lot. It'll slide north at least a bit.

Agree with this... I am ok if the consensus today settles on a central VA jackpot.  I don't want to see that start to get south of Richmond though...thats when we are in trouble. 

33 minutes ago, Ji said:

the northern stream ull closed off and slowed down...had that been as fast as 6z...would of nailed us. With that being said..the precip field is pathetic for such a strong low. Ive seen lows in Alabama give moisture to NE Pennsylvania lol

One other difference is the speed...the system is 6 hours faster...thats not good.  Bumps up against the departing 50/50 more...plus races it out ahead of the NS a bit more...and gives things less time to amplify.  It's close enough...and its the long range NAM so...whatever. 

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

if there is any good news from the run...that Great Lakes low hasnt started diving yet and the storm is already off the VA capes

yea but like i said above the faster speed of the STJ wave also means less room to amplify behind the departing 50/50 so if its not one problem its the other...there is a shorter window then I would like there between those two features.  But there is one...

Archived