SnowHabit
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Good:  it came way north 

bad: I don't like the look of a suppression then late phase and hook up the coast. That's a typical Nina way to screw us over. 

Better than its 00z run.  I will take 0.4-0.5 frozen (hopefully) QPF from this run and like it

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

bad: I don't like the look of a suppression then late phase and hook up the coast. That's a typical Nina way to screw us over. 

0.1 for us in March won't do a lot. but at least it came north. 

WPC discussion tosses 12z GFS. Says it’s less likely to verify. CMC more consistent. With that in mind and seeing the UK coming north and likely a formidable coastal storm given high QPF from central VA to Cape Cod...I think we are still in this. Honestly. Players on the field, just not in sync yet. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So that look drives the primary into WV then transfers over is and sends the low northeast?  

26 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I'm in agreement but when do they make a move. I'm not one who panics but I really thought we would see a better 12z suite.

The 12z suite as a whole wasn't terrible, imo. Seems like we saw a few more positive steps with some models than negative ones...fasten your seatbelts, lol

GEPS has been consistently getting better over the last several runs, and the MSLP off OBX has barely budged in the last 2 days.  First some caveats:  we're getting to the point at which the global ops start outperforming ensembles, and there's probably a lot of rain in here.  But today's GEPS run was the best of them all.  Almost certainly the best of the winter.  Only 3/21 members give me less than 1".  I can't figure out how to create a GEPS mean snowfall map, so... enjoy.

sk7lspW.gif

(The above are all through 12z on 03/13)

3 minutes ago, cae said:

GEPS has been consistently getting better over the last several runs, and the MSLP off OBX has barely budged in the last 2 days.  First some caveats:  we're getting to the point at which the global ops start outperforming ensembles, and there's probably a lot of rain in here.  But today's GEPS run was the best of them all.  Almost certainly the best of the winter.  Only 3/21 members give me less than 1".  I can't figure out how to create a GEPS mean snowfall map, so... enjoy.

sk7lspW.gif

(The above are all through 12z on 03/13)

Gotta love the member 1 that gives the Winchester area 3-4 feet and the rest of the nw burbs 2-3 feet. lol. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

I would guess that GEPS member #1 would be a lot of NW VA fantasy run lol

@cae sorry if this has been asked already, but where do you get that?  Can I get the link for it?

http://dd.weather.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/grib2/raw

1 minute ago, mappy said:

he has been making them himself

Right.  I've been using Panoply.  Not too hard once you get the hang of it.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Ah, thank you for letting me know.  And thank you for posting the two images of the CMC ENS above

welcome

1 minute ago, cae said:

http://dd.weather.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/grib2/raw

Right.  I've been using Panoply.  Not too hard once you get the hang of it.

oh, nice you do have a link to them. wasn't sure. but i knew you were making them :)

Archived