Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I don't ever remember there being this much disagreement between the GFS and Euro at 72 hours. Pretty astounding. 

I know we want the GFS to be right but why is the Euro wrong?  I mean we can’t answer that but now but it’s still not a jv model.    

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I know we want the GFS to be right but why is the Euro wrong?  I mean we can’t answer that but now but it’s still not a jv model.    

It' just crazy the distance between the 2. All the jv models are basically in between them so who knows who's right

It' s hard to believe either one would be this wrong 72 hours out.

24 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I don't ever remember there being this much disagreement between the GFS and Euro at 72 hours. Pretty astounding. 

My guess is that the 00z Euro will begin to correct to the north. One of these models have to correct. My gut feel says that it will be the Euro. 

2 minutes ago, stormy said:

My guess is that the 00z Euro will begin to correct to the north. One of these models have to correct. My gut feel says that it will be the Euro. 

Why?  They could meet in the middle.  then most of the CWA gets nearly zero.  Maybe we have to wait for short range models tomorrow but mainly Saturday.  

29 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I like the cluster of tucked in lows.nice move but expected with the group think idea.

It was, but it's nice to see the GFS / GEFS head back that way.  The GEPS doesn't have as much group think, and they have a similar cluster.  More tucked in than 00z.

nRNk6rw.gif

The look on the GEFS and GEPS takes some of the sting out of the EPS.

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Why?  They could meet in the middle.  then most of the CWA gets nearly zero.  Maybe we have to wait for short range models tomorrow but mainly Saturday.  

I'm not really a fan of the meeting in the middle theory or taking a blend. Sure it could happen but probably not in this case.I know a lot of very good Mets would disagree.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

True, but the UK has been throwing darts this season with big east coast storms.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont forget the Euro has the Ukie on it's side as well. It is not out on an island right now.

Seems like the EURO has been unusually late to what parties we've had this year. GFS has been more consistent but we'll see how this turns out. EURO could very well be right with this one. Who really knows? Bad patterns (La Nina") beget bad modeling, or so it seems, imo.

50 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Every model disagrees with the GFS at 72hrs, even the NAM. We may still get a storm, but it won't be a Miller B like the GFS shows. 

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

True, but the UK has been throwing darts this season with big east coast storms.

I'm under the impression that it has been jumpy as well.  I think meteocentre has old Ukie Runs archived, so maybe I should see if I can find a home for them in the model discussion thread.

9 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Seems like the EURO has been unusually late to what parties we've had this year. GFS has been more consistent but we'll see how this turns out. EURO could very well be right with this one. Who really knows? Bad patterns (La Nina") beget bad modeling, or so it seems, imo.

The Euro has been the best model this year.  When I put together the maps of the model runs from yesterday's event, I was surprised to see that the Euro had something similar to what actually happened from 10 days out and never really lost it. 

But it can make mistakes too.  It really struggled with the event on January 17th, and it appears to be an outlier here.  My guess is that the Euro comes back tonight with some snowfall in VA, but I think it's also a good sign that the other models are more likely to trend towards more suppressed solutions.

There’s probably valid reasons for both a suppression and a move north.  There’s no real strong high to the north so you could argue it has more room to move north as well. On the other hand, if the northeast low is strong enough it could keep things sheared and suppressed.  Could very well be that we end up somewhere in the middle with a Carolina/VA exit but enough precip to get a decent event. I would think a hecs is unlikely without a nice high to the north but we shall see.

Archived