• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

Look at how that major ULL/shortwave near Hudson Bay is steadily getting out of the picture early in the storms development.  This is a good thing.  It was helping suppress the flow.  50/50 also is east on this run relative to the last couple.  

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh78_trend.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This thing is 72 hours out from being substantially formed and the GFS is giving us a major event and the Euro has a weak wave off Jacksonville.  Drink up friends.  

Amen. This is nuts. And it is not like they are a little bit different. They are totally different after 48 hours. Makes no sense at all.

Hahaha This is comical...it really is. Something told me the 18z might trend north again :lol::lol::lol:. Oh boy...well, whatever happens, one of the two (Euro or GFS) has seriously crapped the bed with this storm. And I suspect we're gonna find out who in the next day or two. Seems the goal posts of the GFS have been much more consistent...I guess if you're a TV forecaster, ya either don't mention the storm or just say "We'll keep watching this"

2 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Nice setup if you want a Snowquester part 2. Largely cold rain or suppression for most people.

It's 33-35 at the surface in the UHI region but easily supports snow in the upper levels, the BL warmth is very thin so with decent rates this would be a pasty snow storm assuming the model is right with the thermals from range.

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

GEFS should be interesting.

Not really because of how nondispersive the GEFS is.  It's really lost significant value.  I'm sure it will be a substantial improvement over 12z based on the Op run.  

4 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

GFS snows on us for 24 hours straight. 

Bit tricky in the cities, I-95. Western folks make out well.

ive always wondered if the Icon is 2 days ahead or 2 days behind the modeling but it seems to be good at sniffing stuff out 

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Ok board. You have one of two options. You lock this above map EXACTLY AS SHOWN in, or you take your chance with whatever happens. What do you do?

Take my chances.  Snow is no use on a Monday without an OPM closure.

3 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Don't see why 18z runs are always "happy hour" runs though. Maybe its because bartenders always make 18z GFS runs?

Monday morning was Happy Hour when the GFS and Euro were on the page with a pretty coastal storm. Then they all got hammered and yesterday's 18z GFS  sent everyone to the ledge.  

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Look at how that major ULL/shortwave near Hudson Bay is steadily getting out of the picture early in the storms development.  This is a good thing.  It was helping suppress the flow.  50/50 also is east on this run relative to the last couple.  

A legit few more adjustments at 50/50 and we could see this come north another 50-100 miles. We have seen this song and dance before. Less suppression in time and things trend north. Of course, that's only helpful if our NS/SS vorts phase well to give us something significant. We're moving more in line with that now, but we need what's north of 50N to cooperate. 

hHvDjha.jpg&key=20e76c2c6358c0c2d3c2f676722b3977f7da4f745a188b5a01bf76eb80760f8396h:

Ok board. You have one of two options. You lock this above map EXACTLY AS SHOWN in, or you take your chance with whatever happens. What do you do?

South of Lynchburg where I now live I lock it in. But if I'm in Arlington where I'm from I'll of course roll the dice for better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just now, benjammin said:

South of Lynchburg where I now live I lock it in. But if I'm in Arlington where I'm from I'll of course roll the dice for better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In central MoCo I'm at about 4".

I think I lock that in, it would be my biggest snowfall of the season.

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

This back and forth stuff is getting tiresome. I just want some consistency. I know that's asking a lot in this setup, but it would make the job easier. Cannot be having any of that I guess, 

Looks like a complex setup, a lot of moving parts. Factor in that it’s March, a month of typically dynamic transitions and you have a cocktail of volatility. 

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Looks like a complex setup, a lot of moving parts. Factor in that it’s March, a month of typically dynamic transitions and you have a cocktail of volatility. 

Yea, but unfortunately you need almost everything to go right, especially for the low landers.  Having a good chunk of this at night or early AM helps.

Definitely a big step forward, but we need more. 7 inches of snow in 24 hours isn't going to amount to much of anything with those temps. We need it to really thump. We basically need a HECS, or a shorter duration with a real thump, to get significant accumulation. Hopefully, this is the start of a stronger storm in a better spot and over time we trend to slightly better temps and more precip.

Archived