Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

You know when you look at it, it's not a huge difference between last run and this one.

It only takes a little variability to get us back to crushjob land.

ag4kG7j.jpg

In most other situations we would just call this noise.  But when it takes away 20 inches of snow its really loud noise

16 minutes ago, Ji said:

These minor changes take me from hecs to whiff to mecs to secs to wiff to hecs. Awful hobby

The northern stream flow is actually very suppressive. And the vort digging in isn't some super impressive digging trough. The only runs that work are ones that eject a really strong system early on that then bullies the setup. It's amped enough to pump more ridging in front, slow down, and north enough then to get caught and phase. You know if it's a good run or not by 72 hours because weak ejecting means no chance. There isn't some way for it to recover and amplify later. If it misses the boat and starts south it's getting squashed in that flow. 

The block is a little south of perfect. The 50/50 holds a bit too long. Without the ridging ahead of a STRONG system the flow is flat or even worse then flat. We are totally relying on a strong enough and north enough southern system here to make this work.  Absent that this will fail. 

Below is 12z compared to 6z.

It's still a moisture bomb. We just need it 200 miles north of where it is on the GFS.

With it still 4.5 days out i like where we are.

It's not like it's a weak 1010 mb low scooting south of us

How many times have we seen a north trend in the final 48 to 72 hours that puts us out of the game. Generally blocking/confluence  is modeled too strong,  far out in time hence the north trend. Doesnt mean it is this time but if I needed a trend i would prefer this. 

gfs_apcpn_us_19.png

gfs_apcpn_us_20.png

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The northern stream flow is actually very suppressive. And the vort digging in isn't some super impressive digging trough. The only runs that work are ones that eject a really strong system early on that then bullies the setup. It's amped enough to pump more ridging in front, slow down, and north enough then to get caught and phase. You know if it's a good run or not by 72 hours because weak ejecting means no chance. There isn't some way for it to recover and amplify later. If it misses the boat and starts south it's getting squashed in that flow. 

The block is a little south of perfect. The 50/50 holds a bit too long. Without the ridging ahead of a STRONG system the flow is flat or even worse then flat. We are totally relying on a strong enough and north enough southern system here to make this work.  Absent that this will fail. 

Doesn't come easy, does it? I'm wondering when we can expect to have at least that element sorted out...(or will we have to sweat suppression until Sunday? Lol)

12 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

You know when you look at it, it's not a huge difference between last run and this one.

It only takes a little variability to get us back to crushjob land.

ag4kG7j.jpg

A 100mi shift of a comparably strong storm at D5 is what everyone is freaking out about? This was well within a reasonable error bar at this range.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

A 100mi shift of a comparably strong storm at D5 is what everyone is freaking out about? This was well within a reasonable error bar at this range.

I like where we sit 5 days out.

Central VA jackpot 5 days out  is money for us ussually with a strong storm.

Just now, Chris78 said:

I like where we sit 5 days out.

Central VA jackpot 5 days out  is money for us ussually with a strong storm.

Well... it hasn't been the last few times... but I keep hearing this, lol.

But seriously, this isn't a wipe of the storm where suddenly we're totally out of it. It's an adjustment south. For all we know we'll get an adjustment north next run. This seems like the type of storm where a difference of 100 miles will make or break.

on the bright side euro did make a big trend north.  gfs might have been too amped before.  the h5 map does look a little suspect for a noreaster unless this thing slows down and whatever confluence, 50/50 low diminishes.  i still kinda like the idea of having a sizable west to east low riding under us.  i don't think we're out by any stretch, but a hecs might be wishful thinking for now.

Just now, supernovasky said:

But seriously, this isn't a wipe of the storm where suddenly we're totally out of it. It's an adjustment south. For all we know we'll get an adjustment north next run. This seems like the type of storm where a difference of 100 miles will make or break.

Which means no model run is safe until 48 hours (at least)...lol Nerves, nerves!

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

My reservations have nothing to do with the 18z gfs. I'm concerned that looking at the setup the flow is super flat, the block is south of where I want, and the northern stream system digging that we are relying to phase is less than uber. So we're left relying on an amped enough stj system to get it done and that has been trending weaker all winter from range. I would prefer there be more wiggle room. An amplified enough trough that very minor fluctuations in the wave ejecting don't matter so much. 

But im very open to being convinced these concerns aren't legit. If you think I'm overly pessimistic about this setup please tell me because I don't mind being cheered up lol. 

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think the panic comes from watching yet another storm skip around the mid-atlantic and crush NJ on north (going on right now). 2 years with no warning criteria can get to you.

4 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

That is mostly a leftover assumption from a time in the 90s and 2000s when the gfs had a bad cold and thus south bias with storms. That's not as true anymore. The trend is North most often still but not to the extend it once was. You no longer want to see NC and southern VA jack 4 days out. A little south is good. Way south ehh. This is just one run of one op so I'm not saying this applies to now.  the models are still jumpy. But at some point in the next 24-36 hours I bet we reach some consensus. When that happens I want it to be a bullseye for D.C. or slightly south. Give it some room to come north. But I don't want to start seeing things converge on a va/Nc border jack. We've seen that plenty the last few years and no it typically hasn't trended north enough. It trends just enough to tease us. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

My reservations have nothing to do with the 18z gfs. I'm concerned that looking at the setup the flow is super flat, the block is south of where I want, and the northern stream system digging that we are relying to phase is less than uber. So we're left relying on an amped enough stj system to get it done and that has been trending weaker all winter from range. I would prefer there be more wiggle room. An amplified enough trough that very minor fluctuations in the wave ejecting don't matter so much. 

But im very open to being convinced these concerns aren't legit. If you think I'm overly pessimistic about this setup please tell me because I don't mind being cheered up lol. 

Is there room for the "setup flow" to trend better? Or is that kinda set? Hope not...because if we gotta rely on the strength of any system the way this winter has gone...we won't be able to breathe easy for awhile...

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I hear ya.and with everything else have a weaker southern vort except for the ukie you have Valid concerns.

But I always assume the blocking will actually be weaker than modeled out in range. I've been disappointed many time over the years with the rug being pulled out because of a north trend inside of 72 hours. I know you know all of this already.  I just think a little less blocking and this thing will crawl up the coast.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Where is your damn global warming when we need it???  Useless 

Keep up the good work. We can make it work eventually. Bob Chill is my new investor in SUVs. Isn't this like the 5th time you guys got shut down by the PV and 2 out of those 5 times I scored big. I don't want it like that but it's out of my control. I've crashed hard on these last two events, just snow TV.

Looking at h5 on the GEFS it seems the Canadian maritimes low get out quicker than the 12z did. Also seems like a stronger vort down south. I would think that would argue for a more north track. The surface went the other direction though.

Does anyone see what would be causing the surface to take a step back?

Archived