Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018 Short to Medium Range Severe Thread

tornadohunter

1 hour ago, Indystorm said:

TV media showed busted out windshields from that storm.  Glad it didn't produce that hail when it was over my house before moving southeast.

I saw that this morning on the news also. I guess I should have waited a few hours before commenting.

15 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

Nothing like a backyard tor warned chase. This at 31 south of McHenry.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

you guys have had alot of rain and it looks like a mini train is moving in

concerned for the Rock River...and Des plaines and Fox rivers in Northern IL...later on

you guys have had alot of rain and it looks like a mini train is moving in
concerned for the Rock River...and Des plaines and Fox rivers in Northern IL...later on

Basically went out to check some of the flooding in Woodstock and then that cell showed rotation. Now near Round Lake Park seeing good cg's just north as this thing lumbers along.3241af24771f9c49552a0218edfb56d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Interesting day today...

Several storms exhibited rotation an couplets across the area, even behind OFB's.

Given things were close, I decided to head 15mins southwest of here and intercepted one of the storms near Wayne, IL late this afternoon. There was a lead storm, with a line behind it. The lead storm had a lowering and rotation for a time at the surface, but had a strong mid level meso/rotation. After a brief time of watching this unfold south of Wayne, a microburst signature formed a short distance from my location, northwest of Wayne. I raced north and intercepted it while I was in town. Winds were 60-70mph at my location, with tree debris flying around and penny size hail. Afterwards I went out on a short survey of damage and found there was a moderate sized swath of minor tree damage, with a smaller embedded area of significant tree damage...where numerous trees were uprooted or snapped at the trunk, large limbs were down, and two power poles were down. Winds were likely in excess of 70mph in this smaller axis. Below is a pic of the storm while I was sitting south of Wayne before the microburst, looking towards the meso to my southwest. This is the second year in a row I've managed to encounter a nearly direct hit from a microburst, the other being 7/21/17 not too far from here, though that one was even more significant.

wyane1.thumb.jpg.831b9d19970a962d1854dd3702868fcb.jpg

• Like 5

Speaking of luck on local chases, I had been keeping a wary eye on today since yesterday evening. A boundary would provide sufficient SRH and coupled with low LCLs and quite a bit of 0-3km CAPE, it seemed like an environment capable of squeezing out a few tornadoes, especially if a storm was able to latch on to the boundary. And that is exactly what happened. All CAMs fired 1 or 2 discrete supercells on the boundary, however by 3:30 nothing had taken off and I was getting ready to write it off and go do something else. Just as I said this, a nice updraft developed and persisted, so I bit, and headed out west of Shellsburg. I arrived to a very healthy looking base and had excellent positioning for what was to follow. 

ed01a29c245944cc64fcdf8f77fe1504.jpg

About 15 minutes later, the base started to really wrap up and it became evident that a tornado was imminent. So I called the NWS as the storm was not warned, and ended up staying on the phone with them through the duration of the first tornado relaying them information, as such I have no video(as I use my phone primarily), but I'd like to think feeding the NWS information was more helpful than video. Here's a picture of the multi vortex Shellsburg tornado. It lasted 5-7min.

86ebac0e4030b590f960baa83998443e.jpg

The storm proceeded to cycle, do nothing and then cycle again. By this time the storm was between Alburnett and Central City and by sheer luck I came out of a painstaking hookslice(do to locals going 20mph in the RFD) and saw the tornado wrap up. It manifest itself as a stout cone and lasted 4-5min. 

16bf183ea06724fc7dd0cf09a328a92c.jpg

The storm now began to have problems with outflow dominance. It cycled again with a brief funnel in the mid levels before the RFD cleared out the base and forced the storm to start from scratch. I decided that I'd back out for some wide angle shots and wasn't disappointed(you can see the new wall cloud and tail cloud starting to take shape.) 

5ff42d6e15742a90c199afe8d03d8a8f.jpg

The storm tried one last time to get it done here and then proceeded to go OD for good, where I called the chase. Below is just about the closest the final cycle came to a tornado. Just west of Monticello.

fcf30a95daaa90845b101a2ced1b31e0.jpg

I got back and lol'd when I saw the reactionary SPC tornado watch. I thought the day was pretty straight forward and seemed like a classic conditional 2% type of day, so was surprised when there wasn't any risk at all. I seem to have pretty good luck with these local chase thingies.

PS: @ Hoosier, if these sorts of posts are too long and you want me to condense them I can, but I've found I kinda like writing them, so I do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Speaking of luck on local chases, I had been keeping a wary eye on today since yesterday evening. A boundary would provide sufficient SRH and coupled with low LCLs and quite a bit of 0-3km CAPE, it seemed like an environment capable of squeezing out a few tornadoes, especially if a storm was able to latch on to the boundary. And that is exactly what happened. All CAMs fired 1 or 2 discrete supercells on the boundary, however by 3:30 nothing had taken off and I was getting ready to write it off and go do something else. Just as I said this, a nice updraft developed and persisted, so I bit, and headed out west of Shellsburg. I arrived to a very healthy looking base and had excellent positioning for what was to follow. 

ed01a29c245944cc64fcdf8f77fe1504.jpg

About 15 minutes later, the base started to really wrap up and it became evident that a tornado was imminent. So I called the NWS as the storm was not warned, and ended up staying on the phone with them through the duration of the first tornado relaying them information, as such I have no video(as I use my phone primarily), but I'd like to think feeding the NWS information was more helpful than video. Here's a picture of the multi vortex Shellsburg tornado. It lasted 5-7min.

86ebac0e4030b590f960baa83998443e.jpg

The storm proceeded to cycle, do nothing and then cycle again. By this time the storm was between Alburnett and Central City and by sheer luck I came out of a painstaking hookslice(do to locals going 20mph in the RFD) and saw the tornado wrap up. It manifest itself as a stout cone and lasted 4-5min. 

16bf183ea06724fc7dd0cf09a328a92c.jpg

The storm now began to have problems with outflow dominance. It cycled again with a brief funnel in the mid levels before the RFD cleared out the base and forced the storm to start from scratch. I decided that I'd back out for some wide angle shots and wasn't disappointed(you can see the new wall cloud and tail cloud starting to take shape.) 

5ff42d6e15742a90c199afe8d03d8a8f.jpg

The storm tried one last time to get it done here and then proceeded to go OD for good, where I called the chase. Below is just about the closest the final cycle came to a tornado. Just west of Monticello.

fcf30a95daaa90845b101a2ced1b31e0.jpg

I got back and lol'd when I saw the reactionary SPC tornado watch. I thought the day was pretty straight forward and seemed like a classic conditional 2% type of day, so was surprised when there wasn't any risk at all. I seem to have pretty good luck with these local chase thingies.

PS: @ Hoosier, if these sorts of posts are too long and you want me to condense them I can, but I've found I kinda like writing them, so I do.

You could make it as long as War and Peace if you want.  

Nice writeup and pics.

• Thanks 1

Weekend could be interesting in IL/IN but a lot has to go right. First NHC Day 4-5 needs to verify. Some sort of surface low needs to survive. 850 wind needs to stay up. ECMWF shows a little bit of westerlies at jet stream level. Storm motion would have a west-to-east component improving SRH thinking of the LLJ. For tropical remnants I really like them moving back east. Westward (like in the Deep South) is junk for chasing. Perhaps this weekend we can get a little hybrid action in Hoosier Alley.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Speaking of Iowa, decent amount of sunshine across the 5% area this morning.

Yea today looks quite a bit like yesterday all things considered. Same sort of parameters. Excellent low level moisture, sufficient SRH(provided by the LLJ this time around), abundant 0-3km CAPE and ~2000 SBCAPE. Only concern is storm mode and storm interactions, certainly looks to be messier than yesterday was. I would probably chase, but I'm busy. I'm also finding the amount of 0-3km CAPE an extraordinarily useful parameter with regards to tornadoes, been using it quite a lot this summer. Yesterday had 200 j/kg if I remember and 7/19 had 300-350 j/kg.