• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

40/70 Benchmark

The King Regains its Throne

14" on the dot yesterday at 9:30am in Groton, MA.  Moderate snows for another few hours after that but the settled depth never got much about 14".

Anyone have an accurate storm total for the Westford, Groton, Chelmsford, or Littleton area?  I think it would come up a fair bit higher than my measurement with a snowboard and 6hr clearings.

This was a really neat event. High impact from multiple angles. The forecast worked out well I think on my end...albeit a tad on the high end of the spectrum for Logan.

Tree damage is on the high side here north of BOS. Much of it that tree/limbs snapped type stuff, but there are large trees snapped and even uprooted from the soggy ground. Really impressive. 

Wx2fish had a money forecast that I saw from him and a few met friends at work exchanging texts. He's like a wx ninja...quiet but deadly forecasts. :lol:  

• Haha 1

6" of 33 degree cement.  Snow didn't start accumulating until 4:30pm Wednesday.  Woke up at 1:30 Thursday AM and precip was almost done.  Lost power at 7pm Wednesday night.  Forgot that no power = no sump pump.   Ground is super saturated this year so woke up to 3+ inches of water in the basement.  Got the generator hooked up quick and pumped the basement out.  Still no power at home as I write this.  Fun times.

44 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Still heading home.  Stopped to do a little research, and thought I'd share the following tweet:

Screenshot_20180309-140121.png

What about March 2013? That was 22.8" I believe.  The storm technically lasted three days but I think the first day was only 1.5-2 inches, so even if you eliminated it, then you would have over 20 inches for a "two day total". Also, check March 28-29, 1984...that was higher than the current storm.

March 2001 was also higher than any of those listed and would be #1....but I am aware that it did not make it into the NCDC database, so a search would not have found it.

• Thanks 1

The "two day" limit also kicks out 1958.  I'd guess that the 19.0" from that event fell in considerably less than 48 hours, but included parts of both 20th and 22nd.  Given the near-32 temps, it looks like a storm that started accumulating as darkness approached on the 20th and was all done before dawn on the 22nd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

What about March 2013? That was 22.8" I believe.  The storm technically lasted three days but I think the first day was only 1.5-2 inches, so even if you eliminated it, then you would have over 20 inches for a "two day total". Also, check March 28-29, 1984...that was higher than the current storm.

March 2001 was also higher than any of those listed and would be #1....but I am aware that it did not make it into the NCDC database, so a search would not have found it.

Thanks for the excellent post.  Went back through all the data at my next stop (for food).   Not sure how I missed March 2013.. but I did.  Too much sleep deprivation, I guess?!  Based on data found here : http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=box 22.1" was recorded on 3/7-8/2013 making it #1 for two-day snowfall.  

3/29-30/1984 came in at 16.6" which did, in fact, drop .02" more than the most recent storm.  Had actually noted that total on paper, but overlooked it when typing the tweet, unfortunately.   

3/2001 didn't list any "new snow" data, and couldn't locate any totals.  Should've noted that in the aforementioned tweet.

Far as I can tell, there were no other omissions I can find.  Will definitely amend the tweet, accordingly.   Thanks again!

wow, that's incredible it was that bad ... buuuut I suppose bravo to present company, and the media ...et al etc. Can't say this wasn't precogged and warned.  

I lost power at 3 am yesterday.  That was after I crashed at midnight thinking I'd do okay out my way. Because by then, we had ground the temperature down to 31.4 F due to relentless S+ ... Not sure why I caved to such naivete .. .perhaps it was really just denial thinking that way, that 32 F - .6F was cold enough to stop clinging snow.  And so alas.. the abrupt absence of the fan's soothing white noise had me awoken in a start.  I traipsed down the stair, parted the front door, and noted the the night sky was eerily darkened even for night as it blanketed over head and to the N, while pleasantly still aglow in that winter storm butter scotch hue off to the the south. 

Turns out, it was rich people lording over poor people as having priority over the former that ultimately contributed to the entire town of Ayer dropping service. 

Apparently, the trunk that feeds this region of Mass cuts through Harvard's elite class of liberals that are bleeding maple syrup whenever someone looks at a tree with a chain saw... And so, just down line of their well lit homes and businesses, a tree felled perfectly in cahoots with their evolutionary intent to win in the economic proxy of survival of the fittest...  We're better then you because of our class distinction, so you suffer ;) 

So in the end, we suffered ..including our hospital by the way... Which is proooobably (though less that certainly) why restoration got our township back in order by noon ..just 9 hours later.  

At least, this is what my cantankerous card-carryin' middle Massachusett's red-neck neighbor was grumbling about.  Can't say I don't like the complaint. I don't know if that cultural cinema he portrayed is correctly proportioned, but I've read more egregious examples of this sort of a iniquity in plenty of literature, and knowing full-well that fiction is usually triggered by elements of fact, it's actually not the worst conspiracy theory I've heard since the word Collusion became a meme.  

Like the Titanic, where they lowered only half full boats containing the who's who of First Class down to the deathly cold ocean's soulless black beneath, right along side the throngs of dirt necks forced to plunge to their demise.  Pretty blatant example of assigning intrinsic value to human life based upon class distinction, and...  those are stories that are essentially true to history.  So, while not nearly as clear and cut a case of such iniquities... in a softer sense of it?  Wouldn't shock me at all if Harvard inadvertently albeit self-righteously managed to sack their neighboring community of provincial proletariat survivors.  You never know ... 

53 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

wow, that's incredible it was that bad ... buuuut I suppose bravo to present company, and the media ...et al etc. Can't say this wasn't precogged and warned.  

I lost power at 3 am yesterday.  That was after I crashed at midnight thinking I'd do okay out my way. Because by then, we had ground the temperature down to 31.4 F due to relentless S+ ... Not sure why I caved to such naivete .. .perhaps it was really just denial thinking that way, that 32 F - .6F was cold enough to stop clinging snow.  And so alas.. the abrupt absence of the fan's soothing white noise had me awoken in a start.  I traipsed down the stair, parted the front door, and noted the the night sky was eerily darkened even for night as it blanketed over head and to the N, while pleasantly still aglow in that winter storm butter scotch hue off to the the south. 

Turns out, it was rich people lording over poor people as having priority over the former that ultimately contributed to the entire town of Ayer dropping service. 

Apparently, the trunk that feeds this region of Mass cuts through Harvard's elite class of liberals that are bleeding maple syrup whenever someone looks at a tree with a chain saw... And so, just down line of their well lit homes and businesses, a tree felled perfectly in cahoots with their evolutionary intent to win in the economic proxy of survival of the fittest...  We're better then you because of our class distinction, so you suffer ;) 

So in the end, we suffered ..including our hospital by the way... Which is proooobably (though less that certainly) why restoration got our township back in order by noon ..just 9 hours later.  

At least, this is what my cantankerous card-carryin' middle Massachusett's red-neck neighbor was grumbling about.  Can't say I don't like the complaint. I don't know if that cultural cinema he portrayed is correctly proportioned, but I've read more egregious examples of this sort of a iniquity in plenty of literature, and knowing full-well that fiction is usually triggered by elements of fact, it's actually not the worst conspiracy theory I've heard since the word Collusion became a meme.  

Like the Titanic, where they lowered only half full boats containing the who's who of First Class down to the deathly cold ocean's soulless black beneath, right along side the throngs of dirt necks forced to plunge to their demise.  Pretty blatant example of assigning intrinsic value to human life based upon class distinction, and...  those are stories that are essentially true to history.  So, while not nearly as clear and cut a case of such iniquities... in a softer sense of it?  Wouldn't shock me at all if Harvard inadvertently albeit self-righteously managed to sack their neighboring community of provincial proletariat survivors.  You never know ... 

to summarize, you lost power, didn’t think you would, and are jealous of those who either didn’t lose power, or got theirs back sooner than you. 

3 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

to summarize, you lost power, didn’t think you would, and are jealous of those who either didn’t lose power, or got theirs back sooner than you. 

nah... describing what happened here, while at the same time bemoaning observations of culture in a kind of cynical way.

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

What did worcester get in 01 like 28"??? That was one hell of a storm, 54 hours-ish. 

Yeah I had it at 27". The airport actually recorded 22 inches but it was reported like 8 hours before the storm ended and they never gave another update so that became the "official" total...I put it in quotes because it didn't even get into the ncdc database so it really isn't anywhere that I know of except in the F6 data on my computer and I know NWS BOX has a copy of that data somewhere in their archives since I sent it to them. Back on the old site where you could see archived PNS reports, the 22" total was there too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codfishsnowman said:

took a drive on 83 through Manchester and there was an area that def was crushed in the storm, this was 3 pm in the afternoon after it had most certainly settled from the peak but the difference was very noticeable from the ct/ma border and we did ok

CT or NH?

Please forgive me if this question is more appropriate for the banter thread.   Was trying to determine if there might have been TSSN in Massachusetts in the area of Norwell westward towards ORH between 830 pm and 11 pm on the 8th? Reason I ask is that I saw three separate distinctive bright flashes light up the sky on my trek WNW to Union station in Worcester that evening.   Just not sure if they were related to exploding transformers or TSSN..given all the reports of each in the general region at the time. TIA

On 3/7/2018 at 10:01 PM, Zeus said:

Fear not. I intend to let the snow do its thing. 

From my estimation, you need a good pounding.

Excuse me we ought to keep sexual remarks/harassment off this site but if you would like to connect more please PM me and I will send photos or memes if you like(appropriate ones). But we please keep it appropriate on this site LOL ;)