• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

Nice fluffy dimes have turned to teenyflakes in Augusta, not for the first time today, though visibility is still 1/2 mile or less.  We'll see if there's more of the good stuff to come.  At least the Maine dogsled championship races in Farmington this weekend have plenty of snow to run on.  It was looking kinda grim for a while. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31F  light snow.  Vis 2 miles   12.5"  Temps during the storm were in the 28 to 29F range so no tree issues here.  Mood flakes all day.  Peak of sun midday but now just a gentle light snow.  A friend of mine that lives NW of me in Groton called me and said she got 21".  She is at 1500 feet.  Seems suspect.  Most places in my general area according to the Gray Maine reports look like around 9-10".  Makes sense I was more being up high.  I didn't clear,  just stuck the ruler in the pack.  

Im at #4 on the boards snow list but dryslot hasn't updated so will fall back to #5.  Backedgeapproaching made a big jump with 19.5"!  

25 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Wow.  I'm just east of route 24, and I probably almost doubled that.  Had 8+ when I cleared the driveway at 6:00 and it was pouring snow when I left at 7.  Quite the gradient on the south shore.

I saw the gradient driving into work today....as I passed near 24 on 93 (pretty close to blue hill), you could see there was at least a solid 7-8" and that was after a bit of compaction since it wasn't until midday. By the time I got to the Braintree split, it was at least 2-3 inches less. Obviously that is not a very far distance between the two.

39 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Let's see, things that I've snowblowed: the Boston globe newspaper on two different occasions. It's also not very smart trying to snowblow to the wood pile when there are random chunks and pieces of bark laying around. Yep, ive gone through a few shear pins...i even got the Boston globe so wedged into the auger and chute, that we had to have a guy come and take it apart just so we could get it unclogged. I'm pretty damn awesome!

I've got plenty of wood chunks and bark stuck in mine, the funniest was when my brother had a 1" pipe wrapped around his auger, he bought a pair of those giant pliers to cut it out.

23 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

one thing I did last night as soon as I got home and try to do every time ,in these mash potato storms,was to shovel that first 1.5 of glop. That stuff mostly water removed made this mornings snow blowing very easy, no problems at all.

You're a wise man Ginxy, I should have done that yesterday, instead I had to shovel 12 inches of glop, snow blower was useless today.

42 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Nice fluffy dimes have turned to teenyflakes in Augusta, not for the first time today, though visibility is still 1/2 mile or less.  We'll see if there's more of the good stuff to come.  At least the Maine dogsled championship races in Farmington this weekend have plenty of snow to run on.  It was looking kinda grim for a while. 

Just talked to a buddy of mine in Eustis and they got 14"+ up there and still coming down.

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

6.8 lol and you were worried you wouldn't hit 6

thanks steve, i said 8, not 6, if it weren't for that thundersnow id probably be right around that number. There are some wildly variable totals in New Haven county, down to 3.2 and 4.5 in Milford and West Haven up to 18.5 in the elevated hills of extreme NWern NH county. 

working on a map now, if anyone else has numbers let me know

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’d rather be conservative than slant. But I also am not home so not much to do except send out feelers lol. I doubt more than 6.

I would say ask the wife, I know my wife is not going out to measure if i'm not around, She already thinks i'm a sicko, You probably will have a better chance of training the boy when he is older.

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

thanks steve, i said 8, not 6, if it weren't for that thundersnow id probably be right around that number. There are some wildly variable totals in New Haven county, down to 3.2 and 4.5 in Milford and West Haven up to 18.5 in the elevated hills of extreme NWern NH county. 

working on a map now, if anyone else has numbers let me know

12.5 at 540’ in Southbury but I did not measure until about 5pm so I may have lost an inch or two early. 

I gotta say, this was some of the most compactful snow I ever had to clean up... blower blade just went over top, had to bust out the spade to chop the 6" of compact snow in the driveway... my kids loved it though... wound up official to Albany was 11... but there were spots in the yard that were up to 20"...

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

12.5 at 540’ in Southbury but I did not measure until about 5pm so I may have lost an inch or two early. 

I lost an inch while it was still snowing. I measured 10" flat at a around 8 or so and then we got another .5" (cleared a surface off), i remeasured where i measured 10" before, and it was down to 9.5" and that was only a couple hours later.

7 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I lost an inch while it was still snowing. I measured 10" flat at a around 8 or so and then we got another .5" (cleared a surface off), i remeasured where i measured 10" before, and it was down to 9.5" and that was only a couple hours later.

Who in extreme nw part of the county had 18.5? I’m as extreme as it gets. 

Archived