Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Took a good chunk of the day to get this done but here it is. Tried to include every report from the PNS statements and here. Final fx map for verification. No matter what ranges i chose it would have had holes in the fill contours, the spread was very high. Kept the numbers similar to what i used for the forecast for verification.

03_08.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.47c62e9e73a0b25f87cee1434a7c6623.jpg03_06.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.4a20ef10c5d3c518ba013e8a2a61207a.jpg

Excellent work. Your maps over the last few years have been very impressive. Seems like you nail it almost every time.

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Took a good chunk of the day to get this done but here it is. Tried to include every report from the PNS statements and here. Final fx map for verification. No matter what ranges i chose it would have had holes in the fill contours, the spread was very high. Kept the numbers similar to what i used for the forecast for verification.

03_08.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.47c62e9e73a0b25f87cee1434a7c6623.jpg03_06.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.4a20ef10c5d3c518ba013e8a2a61207a.jpg

Pretty much perfect again. Love your maps and the sharp graphics. The only thing that would possibly need correcting is maybe showing "8-16+" instead of just "8-16" in the prediction but that's just nitpicking. Amazing job as always. 

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

31 straight hours of snow and counting. I absolutely loathe multiple inches of new snow on the driveway after I’ve already snowblowed.

29.9°

Since I only did 2/3 of the snowblowing in the morning, the nearly 8" additional during the day didn't add that much to the evening work.  However, since all the snow/ice had melted the previous week, I blew cracked stone into the lawn both morning and evening.  (And paving isn't a real option, seeing as I live at the end of 2,000' of gravel road.)

My guess that the total would fall between the 16" and 19" snows of late March 2001 failed, but in a good way.  The late evening 0.2" puff left my total 0.1" shy of an even 20, so the biggest March snow event in my 20 winters here.  Total LE was 1.93", ratio 10.3-to-1.  Highest I saw for Maine was 21.7" from the Hartford co-op.  At 745', that site runs about 20% more than my place, so being within 10% was fine.  The Farmington co-op had 1.7" more than my place by 7 AM yesterday, so they probably finished about the same as Hartford.

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

Agree. I’ll probably eventually end up in a place where snowpack gets wiped out consistently. Maybe a place like Tolland.

While I'm not going to deny we warm sector fairly quickly in certain circumstances, over the past 30 years we've averaged continuous snow cover for 67 days each winter and an average peak snow depth of 16".  I know that's nothing like the north country but it's not like we live in the 80s and every year is like this year.

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

While I'm not going to deny we warm sector fairly quickly in certain circumstances, over the past 30 years we've averaged continuous snow cover for 67 days each winter and an average peak snow depth of 16".  I know that's nothing like the north country but it's not like we live in the 80s and every year is like this year.

I was just ribbing him. If I really wanted no pack I'd move next to Diane.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Since I only did 2/3 of the snowblowing in the morning, the nearly 8" additional during the day didn't add that much to the evening work.  However, since all the snow/ice had melted the previous week, I blew cracked stone into the lawn both morning and evening.  (And paving isn't a real option, seeing as I live at the end of 2,000' of gravel road.)

My guess that the total would fall between the 16" and 19" snows of late March 2001 failed, but in a good way.  The late evening 0.2" puff left my total 0.1" shy of an even 20, so the biggest March snow event in my 20 winters here.  Total LE was 1.93", ratio 10.3-to-1.  Highest I saw for Maine was 21.7" from the Hartford co-op.  At 745', that site runs about 20% more than my place, so being within 10% was fine.  The Farmington co-op had 1.7" more than my place by 7 AM yesterday, so they probably finished about the same as Hartford.

Wow nice

14" on the dot yesterday at 9:30am in Groton, MA.  Moderate snows for another few hours after that but the settled depth never got much about 14".

Anyone have an accurate storm total for the Westford, Groton, Chelmsford, or Littleton area?  I think it would come up a fair bit higher than my measurement with a snowboard and 6hr clearings.

This was a really neat event. High impact from multiple angles. The forecast worked out well I think on my end...albeit a tad on the high end of the spectrum for Logan.

Tree damage is on the high side here north of BOS. Much of it that tree/limbs snapped type stuff, but there are large trees snapped and even uprooted from the soggy ground. Really impressive. 

Wx2fish had a money forecast that I saw from him and a few met friends at work exchanging texts. He's like a wx ninja...quiet but deadly forecasts. :lol:  

6" of 33 degree cement.  Snow didn't start accumulating until 4:30pm Wednesday.  Woke up at 1:30 Thursday AM and precip was almost done.  Lost power at 7pm Wednesday night.  Forgot that no power = no sump pump.   Ground is super saturated this year so woke up to 3+ inches of water in the basement.  Got the generator hooked up quick and pumped the basement out.  Still no power at home as I write this.  Fun times.

44 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Still heading home.  Stopped to do a little research, and thought I'd share the following tweet:

Screenshot_20180309-140121.png

What about March 2013? That was 22.8" I believe.  The storm technically lasted three days but I think the first day was only 1.5-2 inches, so even if you eliminated it, then you would have over 20 inches for a "two day total". Also, check March 28-29, 1984...that was higher than the current storm.

March 2001 was also higher than any of those listed and would be #1....but I am aware that it did not make it into the NCDC database, so a search would not have found it.

The "two day" limit also kicks out 1958.  I'd guess that the 19.0" from that event fell in considerably less than 48 hours, but included parts of both 20th and 22nd.  Given the near-32 temps, it looks like a storm that started accumulating as darkness approached on the 20th and was all done before dawn on the 22nd. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

What about March 2013? That was 22.8" I believe.  The storm technically lasted three days but I think the first day was only 1.5-2 inches, so even if you eliminated it, then you would have over 20 inches for a "two day total". Also, check March 28-29, 1984...that was higher than the current storm.

March 2001 was also higher than any of those listed and would be #1....but I am aware that it did not make it into the NCDC database, so a search would not have found it.

Thanks for the excellent post.  Went back through all the data at my next stop (for food).   Not sure how I missed March 2013.. but I did.  Too much sleep deprivation, I guess?!  Based on data found here : http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=box 22.1" was recorded on 3/7-8/2013 making it #1 for two-day snowfall.  

3/29-30/1984 came in at 16.6" which did, in fact, drop .02" more than the most recent storm.  Had actually noted that total on paper, but overlooked it when typing the tweet, unfortunately.   

3/2001 didn't list any "new snow" data, and couldn't locate any totals.  Should've noted that in the aforementioned tweet.

Far as I can tell, there were no other omissions I can find.  Will definitely amend the tweet, accordingly.   Thanks again!

wow, that's incredible it was that bad ... buuuut I suppose bravo to present company, and the media ...et al etc. Can't say this wasn't precogged and warned.  

I lost power at 3 am yesterday.  That was after I crashed at midnight thinking I'd do okay out my way. Because by then, we had ground the temperature down to 31.4 F due to relentless S+ ... Not sure why I caved to such naivete .. .perhaps it was really just denial thinking that way, that 32 F - .6F was cold enough to stop clinging snow.  And so alas.. the abrupt absence of the fan's soothing white noise had me awoken in a start.  I traipsed down the stair, parted the front door, and noted the the night sky was eerily darkened even for night as it blanketed over head and to the N, while pleasantly still aglow in that winter storm butter scotch hue off to the the south. 

Turns out, it was rich people lording over poor people as having priority over the former that ultimately contributed to the entire town of Ayer dropping service. 

Apparently, the trunk that feeds this region of Mass cuts through Harvard's elite class of liberals that are bleeding maple syrup whenever someone looks at a tree with a chain saw... And so, just down line of their well lit homes and businesses, a tree felled perfectly in cahoots with their evolutionary intent to win in the economic proxy of survival of the fittest...  We're better then you because of our class distinction, so you suffer ;) 

So in the end, we suffered ..including our hospital by the way... Which is proooobably (though less that certainly) why restoration got our township back in order by noon ..just 9 hours later.  

At least, this is what my cantankerous card-carryin' middle Massachusett's red-neck neighbor was grumbling about.  Can't say I don't like the complaint. I don't know if that cultural cinema he portrayed is correctly proportioned, but I've read more egregious examples of this sort of a iniquity in plenty of literature, and knowing full-well that fiction is usually triggered by elements of fact, it's actually not the worst conspiracy theory I've heard since the word Collusion became a meme.  

Like the Titanic, where they lowered only half full boats containing the who's who of First Class down to the deathly cold ocean's soulless black beneath, right along side the throngs of dirt necks forced to plunge to their demise.  Pretty blatant example of assigning intrinsic value to human life based upon class distinction, and...  those are stories that are essentially true to history.  So, while not nearly as clear and cut a case of such iniquities... in a softer sense of it?  Wouldn't shock me at all if Harvard inadvertently albeit self-righteously managed to sack their neighboring community of provincial proletariat survivors.  You never know ... 

53 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

wow, that's incredible it was that bad ... buuuut I suppose bravo to present company, and the media ...et al etc. Can't say this wasn't precogged and warned.  

I lost power at 3 am yesterday.  That was after I crashed at midnight thinking I'd do okay out my way. Because by then, we had ground the temperature down to 31.4 F due to relentless S+ ... Not sure why I caved to such naivete .. .perhaps it was really just denial thinking that way, that 32 F - .6F was cold enough to stop clinging snow.  And so alas.. the abrupt absence of the fan's soothing white noise had me awoken in a start.  I traipsed down the stair, parted the front door, and noted the the night sky was eerily darkened even for night as it blanketed over head and to the N, while pleasantly still aglow in that winter storm butter scotch hue off to the the south. 

Turns out, it was rich people lording over poor people as having priority over the former that ultimately contributed to the entire town of Ayer dropping service. 

Apparently, the trunk that feeds this region of Mass cuts through Harvard's elite class of liberals that are bleeding maple syrup whenever someone looks at a tree with a chain saw... And so, just down line of their well lit homes and businesses, a tree felled perfectly in cahoots with their evolutionary intent to win in the economic proxy of survival of the fittest...  We're better then you because of our class distinction, so you suffer ;) 

So in the end, we suffered ..including our hospital by the way... Which is proooobably (though less that certainly) why restoration got our township back in order by noon ..just 9 hours later.  

At least, this is what my cantankerous card-carryin' middle Massachusett's red-neck neighbor was grumbling about.  Can't say I don't like the complaint. I don't know if that cultural cinema he portrayed is correctly proportioned, but I've read more egregious examples of this sort of a iniquity in plenty of literature, and knowing full-well that fiction is usually triggered by elements of fact, it's actually not the worst conspiracy theory I've heard since the word Collusion became a meme.  

Like the Titanic, where they lowered only half full boats containing the who's who of First Class down to the deathly cold ocean's soulless black beneath, right along side the throngs of dirt necks forced to plunge to their demise.  Pretty blatant example of assigning intrinsic value to human life based upon class distinction, and...  those are stories that are essentially true to history.  So, while not nearly as clear and cut a case of such iniquities... in a softer sense of it?  Wouldn't shock me at all if Harvard inadvertently albeit self-righteously managed to sack their neighboring community of provincial proletariat survivors.  You never know ... 

to summarize, you lost power, didn’t think you would, and are jealous of those who either didn’t lose power, or got theirs back sooner than you. 

3 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

to summarize, you lost power, didn’t think you would, and are jealous of those who either didn’t lose power, or got theirs back sooner than you. 

nah... describing what happened here, while at the same time bemoaning observations of culture in a kind of cynical way.

Archived