Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

31 straight hours of snow and counting. I absolutely loathe multiple inches of new snow on the driveway after I’ve already snowblowed.

29.9°

That sucks.  I got lucky, it was warm enough here that it melted on contact after that really heavy burst. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dendrite said:

31 straight hours of snow and counting. I absolutely loathe multiple inches of new snow on the driveway after I’ve already snowblowed.

29.9°

Saw your comment about a dirt driveway. I bit the bullet a long time ago. Nothing worse than dirt driveways with ice. Your gas guy with the truck stuck also happenned to me, after that winter 03? I had it asphalted.

Took a good chunk of the day to get this done but here it is. Tried to include every report from the PNS statements and here. Final fx map for verification. No matter what ranges i chose it would have had holes in the fill contours, the spread was very high. Kept the numbers similar to what i used for the forecast for verification.

03_08.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.47c62e9e73a0b25f87cee1434a7c6623.jpg03_06.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.4a20ef10c5d3c518ba013e8a2a61207a.jpg

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Took a good chunk of the day to get this done but here it is. Tried to include every report from the PNS statements and here. Final fx map for verification. No matter what ranges i chose it would have had holes in the fill contours, the spread was very high. Kept the numbers similar to what i used for the forecast for verification.

03_08.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.47c62e9e73a0b25f87cee1434a7c6623.jpg03_06.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.4a20ef10c5d3c518ba013e8a2a61207a.jpg

I like the 18.5" and 16.5" sitting on the end of Pinocchio's nose....:lol:

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m surprised you live where you do. You like heat and are becoming crotchety and cranky to snow pack. SC is cheap 

Agree. I’ll probably eventually end up in a place where snowpack gets wiped out consistently. Maybe a place like Tolland.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol Spring!

Ground is thawed! Seriously though it makes a world of difference. Snow melt with thawed ground soaks in...frozen ground and I end up with a river through my run. I'll improve the drainage this warm season.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ground is thawed! Seriously though it makes a world of difference. Snow melt with thawed ground soaks in...frozen ground and I end up with a river through my run. I'll improve the drainage this warm season.

EPS 46 day says your warm season is a ways away . Seeing -16 850s next week good thing you have a blanket over the ground

37 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Great job on the map and good call, Is there elevation in those two areas? Seems like if you had some the totals were higher.

Actually those are probably real, there was some definite help with topography this time around. I was still at 0 while some high elevation hill towns were already at 5-8". Wolcott is known for scoring big in elevation events or events where elevation at least helps to a certain degree. 

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Actually those are probably real, there was some definite help with topography this time around. I was still at 0 while some high elevation hill towns were already at 5-8". Wolcott is known for scoring big in elevation events or events where elevation at least helps to a certain degree. 

This event seem to favor elevation, So yeah, Should be legit.

Here are two cool things on dual pol from the storm. The first one is the enhanced KDP in NW CT that sat and rotted in that super band. Up in the snow growth zone that deformation zone was going nuts. Specific Differential Phase (or KDP) shows enhanced values between 1 and 2deg/km. Basically as the horizontal and vertical radar beams are hitting the deform band the horizontal beam is "slowing" down because of the huge number of crystals its running into. In the DGZ we know dendrites can grow very efficiently and in great numbers.

The second thing is depolarization streaks that kept showing up on - especially BOX and DIX during the storm. As the electric field in the clouds grow the ice crystals get oriented with the field and radar beams begin to lose their orthogonal polarity so you wind up with these downradial artifacts. 

KDPOKX.png

kbox_20180308_0049_ZDR_1.4.png

Archived