Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

If you want to get technical the muck on the bottom is real. The deck kind of eliminates that by letting the some of the melted water drip out rather than soak up into the new and compact it. You also get cold air on the bottom side of your measuring area which helps it accumulate. I’m not sure what your ground skin temp was when this started, but if it was like 35F and you were measuring from a board on the ground, the board would feel the effects of that. More proof that measuring snow is an inexact science.

I measured 13.1" on the board just before midnight, got an additional 1.5" on cold surfaces and recently cleared pavement, and the board was still at exactly 13.1" when I got up at 4. I know maximum depth is the official total but it still feels like I'm cheating myself out of perfectly good snow. :(

Just now, Juliancolton said:

I measured 13.1" on the board just before midnight, got an additional 1.5" on cold surfaces and recently cleared pavement, and the board was still at exactly 13.1" when I got up at 4. I know maximum depth is the official total but it still feels like I'm cheating myself out of perfectly good snow. :(

Are you the person that doesn’t clear at all during the storm? 

32 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Sweet.

I've concluded that being at Pit2 in a storm with wind is not great to watch from an accumulation standpoint.  On the plus side, all the snow you see in the air is actually falling snow rather than a combination of falling and blowing.  To that end, we are ripping here with winds howling.  Snow coming in nearly horizontally.  I need to get a real station here.

29*, still now word from my wife at the Pit.

Same deal here.  I just woke up and checked the deck.  Blowing all over the place, I can’t tell what we’ve got except a very wintry look!  But I like it.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

If you want to get technical the muck on the bottom is real. The deck kind of eliminates that by letting the some of the melted water drip out rather than soak up into the new and compact it. You also get cold air on the bottom side of your measuring area which helps it accumulate. I’m not sure what your ground skin temp was when this started, but if it was like 35F and you were measuring from a board on the ground, the board would feel the effects of that. More proof that measuring snow is an inexact science.

Yeah definitely never thought of that. At least I didn't measure on grass or the roof of my car. 

Biggest event here since 2015 going from my deck measurement. Saw the radar Will posted earlier in the thread and I can see why.

Serious question:

Last night between 6:00 and 10:00pm I was at my girlfriends house.  Her house is literally situated about 20 feet from a lake (one mile in length x 1/2 mile wide, and not frozen at the time), and surrounded by very tall pines.  When I showed up there it was puking a heavy, wet snow. It was blowing off of the lake, and by the time I left 4 hours later there just was not much to show for it...maybe an inch.  The temp at her place was 34F, and when I was about  half mile from her place, the temp dropped to 32F, and there was a good 3 or more inches of snow in the surrounding area.   

Is it the combination of the lake and the trees that keep the temp the way it was?

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Need to move back to Ashby!!!

Haha, it was Ashburnham.  nORH has been unlucky the last couple years imo.  Looks like the sucker hole followed me.  

I just measured a few spots in the yard and got a pretty wide range.  No official snow board but it was between 7 and 13 inches.  Average of the five measurements came out to 9.8".  

This thread needs more ruler pics.  

20180308_073440.thumb.jpg.860c6c9259ef9142230f5c94eb88bbd3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Well, I do every 24 hours, but that so rarely comes into play. The 6-hourly clearings are discouraged now anyway, right?

I do 6-8hrs, but I’m trying to keep consistent records. I think cocorahs discourages it, but the local coco guys have been coming in higher than my cleared totals all season so who knows...

Wow this final band taking residence over eastern MA 5-7am salvaged alot of forecasts! And sealed the  decision to close most schools.

RAP really did hint at this

Also much better accumulation with temps 29-32 instead of 33-34

Scenes from Brookline MA:

5aa12e802aa34_IMG_7659smaller.jpeg.b11e68c3977459a6008be1e2f0cd5bc4.jpeg

5aa12e82d2483_IMG_7662smaller.thumb.jpg.0b6fe6da83fd6d08dd50e51a4b1c1e41.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Serious question:

Last night between 6:00 and 10:00pm I was at my girlfriends house.  Her house is literally situated about 20 feet from a lake (one mile in length x 1/2 mile wide, and not frozen at the time), and surrounded by very tall pines.  When I showed up there it was puking a heavy, wet snow. It was blowing off of the lake, and by the time I left 4 hours later there just was not much to show for it...maybe an inch.  The temp at her place was 34F, and when I was about  half mile from her place, the temp dropped to 32F, and there was a good 3 or more inches of snow in the surrounding area.   

Is it the combination of the lake and the trees that keep the temp the way it was?

Maybe the trees act as an insulator? But with the wind I would doubt it.

Microclimates abound in New England though...  You should bring her skiing at WaWa today

2 minutes ago, JJBASHB said:

Haha, it was Ashburnham.  nORH has been unlucky the last couple years imo.  Looks like the sucker hole followed me.  

I just measured a few spots in the yard and got a pretty wide range.  No official snow board but it was between 7.5 and 13 inches.  Average of the five measurements came out to 9.8".  

This thread needs more ruler pics.  

20180308_073440.thumb.jpg.860c6c9259ef9142230f5c94eb88bbd3.jpg

No big storms (20” types) but last year I got over 90”,and am close to 70” so far this season...but no retention/snowpack...  strange seasons

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Maybe the trees act as an insulator? But with the wind I would doubt it.

Microclimates abound in New England though...  You should bring her skiing at WaWa today

lol. I have work.  I would love to.  They will be skiing past April 1st easily this year unless we get some freakish warm weather and more freaking rain in the coming weeks. 

Archived