Weathernoob335
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Just under 6" total here (5.75?)  

Luckily I stayed the course and did not get sucked into the 10-12 calls by some. Good call by Wiz (Paul) the other day with his map, and the same with NWS with their cut-back 2 days ago, before they went all nuclear with the higher totals again yesterday morning.  

Did you measure under a tree?

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ahh bummer.  I saw TWC thundersnow stuff yesterday afternoon and was thinking you guys were good for it.

Oh yeah had 7 TSSN but got into subsidence with the death band in Jersey and killed our totals. Also think UHi has something to do with the lower totals in Manhattan. The outer boroughs received 5-8”

Still no power. Took a while to find a non-tree-contaminated spot to measure. 11.25 otg plus the .25 that never happened, 11.5 total - consistent with the other PNS report of 12.2. Spots under trees had up to 6" less. No wonder there are multiple downed power lines across town.

I had a tree come down and just missed my house.

@The 4 Seasons

13 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

I don't really have a good place in my yard that wouldn't be contaminated by being under a tree, a deck awning, or being right on the driveway.

Not sure how long you've lived there but finding a consistent place that isn't in a brutal position is usually the way to go if you have that situation. Even if it's not perfect.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mitch said it was deform band fluffy... reminds me of like Pete/MRG back in the October 2011 storm.  Like 30" of feathers despite it being October. 

If its paste then no, that's not that fun or easy to ski.  Paste at that amount is great for knee injuries, ha.

Yea, pretty much fluff.  Pretty safe bet that Magic, Bromley, Stratton are all in the 24-36" range when this winds down. 

Im at 16" even here in the valley and was never even in the deform band, otherwise could have been an all timer for the lower elevations here, but still an outside chance at 20" with the fluff still falling.

Looks to be between 14-16”, which is within what I personally forecast for MBY   I will measure in a bit

I also had thought Berkshire jackpot yesterday but was persuaded to move that thinking east as per Pickles and DIT and the Euro.  Should have stuck to my guns.

Nice event.   Brings my seasonal total to close to average 

The average depth this morning is still 9.5 IMBY with compaction.  There must have been at least 10 here especially considering the .4 from yesterday morning that melted.  I would not call that a bust for this part of the valley based on many forecasts of 8-12. It was from the northern side of Springfield and points north that got the shaft. Reports I've read are  Longmeadow 10, Somers 11 and I"m going with 10.5 of mostly cement with a bit of fluff on top.  Nothing earth shattering but a nice storm.  Now for the cleanup.  

Archived