Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

35" total as of about 15 minutes ago. Total depth must be around 60" as we had about 20-24" OTG before this storm (9-10" left from Friday's 12" of cement and about 10-15" of old glacier from earlier in the winter that survived the torch). This is the largest single storm total I've experienced and the greatest depth by far.

Intensity has lessened from earlier, but still snowing moderately.

PICTURES!?!? 

HOW in the Hells do you have 35" in this storm??  I thought the most was 26" in NY?  

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We aren't getting 18"...that's what's bad about it.

Happens every storm, but 18" was really pushing the limits on this storm. I mean we were all talking lower ratios than normal (closer to 10:1) and that means you needed almost 2" QPF to get close to the upper end of that range. That's a lot of QPF.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Happens every storm, but 18" was really pushing the limits on this storm. I mean we were all talking lower ratios than normal (closer to 10:1) and that means you needed almost 2" QPF to get close to the upper end of that range. That's a lot of QPF.

I'm amazed we might have a shot with how wet and paste the snow is. Never seen anything like this.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yea, that was always the upper bounds for me...expected mostly 8-16".

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It was very possible though. Places in southern NY and northern NJ got 2 feet with less than stellar ratios. QPF was forecasted to be as much if not more in parts of SNE. This is obviously a very bandy system as it typical for march and that is costing a lot of folks the high end of the forecasts 

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You need to come to grips with the fact that its going to be a forgettable event for us.

It was clear hours ago that we wouldn't hit the high end.

Nice event, nonetheless.

I literally just said multiple times it wasn't going to deliver after I looked at mesonanalysis, what else would you like?

Keep in mind, many mets thought I wouldn't even see 3". It's a positive bust from last night.

Just now, BombsAway1288 said:

It was very possible though. Places in southern NY and northern NJ got 2 feet with less than stellar ratios. QPF was forecasted to be as much if not more in parts of SNE. This is obviously a very bandy system as it typical for march and that is costing a lot of folks the high end of the forecasts 

Oh it was possible, but not probable. Parts of southern NY and northern NJ were also snowing last night at this time. You really need the duration to get those amounts, and New England didn't have it for the most part.

Snow didn't get really going steady here in Freeport (Maine) until about 10pm, but it's been slowly increasing in intensity since then.  The hotel staffer I asked said she'd classify it as "moderate", not heavy or thumping.  Lots of wind whipping sheets of snow around, and it does look impressive in the parking lot lights.  3-5" on the ground.

During the day there were just a few flakes in the morning, then a few more late afternoon.  It taunted us with 10 minutes of dandruff that would then dissipate for about 5-10 minutes before starting up again.  Just enough to give the officemates an excuse to bail "snow's started up, I'm headed home and will be back online in about an hour".  I was the last one in the building to leave, around 7pm, and there was still less than an inch on the ground, zero on the roads.

I'm really curious to see what we end up with.  The 8-12" seems awfully optimistic, but then again the "real deal" hasn't yet made it onshore, and there is tomorrow (today?).  Being from Georgia, even 8" will be wildly different from my usual experience.  I'm perfectly content with values well short of Armageddon.

Ok, no doubt about it this time, multiple transformers just blew up in the area.  Bright blue flashes across the sky, followed by the unmistakable buzz sound of electricity.  Pretty impressive.  With all of the attention and crews still working down on the South Shore, I have a feeling National Grid is going to have a tough time restoring power in a lot of places in a short period of time.  This could be days for some folks.  

Dumping snow here at the moment, as heavy as it's been all night. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh it was possible, but not probable. Parts of southern NY and northern NJ were also snowing last night at this time. You really need the duration to get those amounts, and New England didn't have it for the most part.

Very true. Duration obviously helps for any blockbuster event. Yes it was snowing here last night (I happened to be visiting family) but it was no more than 3 in from it in the morning. What delivered the 2 feet was a deathband that decided to move in at 12pm and stay there for 7-8hrs puking 2-3in/hr rates

Archived