Newest Member
    joxey
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DomNH said:

Yeah if we can't get a uniform +SN shield it's going to be tough to see the big totals. You'll go from ripping to all of a sudden looking at the streetlight and seeing the snow dancing around instead of falling and then back to ripping. There was a storm several years ago where we were forecast 1-2' and had a banded radar all night and I ended up with a measly 9'' of baking powder. 

Once you start going banded, its a kiss of death for major additions....its a pretty linear progression in the storm's evolution.

Maybe we get a another nice burst, but the high end isn't happening.

Measured 6.5" in Dover. Still rate of 1.5"/hr.

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

Yeah if we can't get a uniform +SN shield it's going to be tough to see the big totals. You'll go from ripping to all of a sudden looking at the streetlight and seeing the snow dancing around instead of falling and then back to ripping. There was a storm several years ago where we were forecast 1-2' and had a banded radar all night and I ended up with a measly 9'' of baking powder. 

I just went out to measure. It's still snowing decently, although it does feel more powder-ish. We have big returns to our SE about to move in so I think we'll pass 10" at worst. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What do you mean by this?

That now is when the flow is getting stretched into the banding stage, we're definitely moving past the WAA driven (unless you live up by BGR).

The mid level magic may not be enough to save CON though. Just caught between the coastal front and intense band to the west.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

That now is when the flow is getting stretched into the banding stage, we're definitely moving past the WAA driven (unless you live up by BGR).

The mid level magic may not be enough to save CON though. Just caught between the coastal front and intense band to the west.

how do you think this bodes for PWM?

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I don't envision anything earth shattering...its going to oscillate between 1"/hr and nuisance for the next few hours before dying.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I think we're fine. There's a good slug that Will pointed out that has yet to rotate into the coast. 

Think we're good in DAW/PSM area as well? That does look like a good punch is coming toward us if we're still in the banding area.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice you brought the Snow back with you from BC. Beast maul job

Wish that I could have brought it back with me... but this'll help to ween off the snow fix.  Guessing the Beast should be 12-18" anyway the way that band has rotted over them.  Good day to show up early.

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That makes sense too based on watching radar all night. I'm at 5" and you have been getting the bands before the hills in Shutesbury and Pelham rip them up heading NW.   I'll be disappointed in my totals but fun storm to watch and understand snow growth. Hernia baking powder here.   Euro kind of nailed the precip shadow and it was a weird one that actually affected pretty high elevations east of here.

I agree there was/is some component of orographic shadow but I wonder if you've also been huffing subsidence with that ridiculous deformation out there.  My location is far east Btown, SE of the Pelham hills, barely SW of Quabbin at ~550´ so we don't get the full downslope that some places lower down do.  Early on today there was what I assume was a midlevel induced dryslot that was pretty ugly here for hours and hours, but once that went away we've done ok I guess.  Hopefully you get into that band here soon.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think so. I don't see any reason to jump ship anyway. 

There's only one way to find out. Fascinating conservation and observation about the banding structure of this storm. Rarely our southern snow events are dynamical enough for that.

Archived