• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 6 -7 Noreaster Obs Thread

ChescoWx

Location refresher: just NW of Trenton. After what felt like 3 hours getting my kids ready to go outside, we stayed out for barely an hour, due to all the snapping branches around us. We stayed away from all trees in a clearing and made our obligatory snowman and got back inside. Lost a small lower limb from a dogwood but both of my neighbors on either side lost significant limbs, one of which took many others underneath with it. Perfect snowman/ball making snow, but I have a feeling even the snowblower will struggle to toss this stuff. Safe clearing to all. Final unofficial/unscientific measurements around 7.25" (patio table, patio, etc.) of day-old refrigerated mashed potatoes. I was in the yellows/oranges pretty much from 1145 until 5. Must have snowed at least 10" but compaction is in full effect. Hoping my massive willow-oak avoids any big losses.

IMG_5531.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Physicsteve said:

Location refresher: just NW of Trenton. After what felt like 3 hours getting my kids ready to go outside, we stayed out for barely an hour, due to all the snapping branches around us. We stayed away from all trees in a clearing and made our obligatory snowman and got back inside. Lost a small lower limb from a dogwood but both of my neighbors on either side lost significant limbs, one of which took many others underneath with it. Perfect snowman/ball making snow, but I have a feeling even the snowblower will struggle to toss this stuff. Safe clearing to all. Final unofficial/unscientific measurements around 7.25" (patio table, patio, etc.) of day-old refrigerated mashed potatoes. I was in the yellows/oranges pretty much from 1145 until 5. Must have snowed at least 10" but compaction is in full effect. Hoping my massive willow-oak avoids any big losses.

IMG_5531.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

We have one of those - beautiful tree! Probably as wide as it is tall. Ours lost a boatload of small branches last Friday, I think today not too bad. Today was more of a big branch day - lost part of an old Magnolia. And a lot of bamboo :-(.

Happy for all you se guys. Would have been pretty cool to experience the thunder snow. That band looked unreal on radar. We ended up with maybe 3" in reading. Real bad bust with the nws sticking with 11-15" thought out the day. No model called for what happened today. Oh well...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Just now, wkd said:

Ended up with 9.5". I wonder what kind of totals people would get if they cleared their area every 30-60 min. I know I would have measured at least 2" more.

I had the same thought - every time I cleared one area of the driveway, next time there was at least 2 or 3 inches on it. Plus a half inch of melting from 10 to noon at 36F. An impressive storm no matter the amount that fell vs. Final depth.

4 minutes ago, Fields27 said:

Happy for all you se guys. Would have been pretty cool to experience the thunder snow. That band looked unreal on radar. We ended up with maybe 3" in reading. Real bad bust with the nws sticking with 11-15" thought out the day. No model called for what happened today. Oh well...

Thanks! Missed the thundersnow here - maybe next time, or maybe for you guys! That west trend yesterday was a bit of a head fake as it turned out.

There are usually busts and overperformers in almost every winter storm- the rt 222 lancaster, reading, allentown corridor busted badly! Not sure why nws stuck to their guns here so long when it was painfully obvious we would stay west of the pivot. Congrats to those south and east. It is march, it will all melt in a day or two.

27 minutes ago, famartin said:

6.1" in Ewing is probably the storm total as its down to flurries now.

That honestly seems a bit low based on accounts from some people in Ewing and pictures I've seen.  Also as close as Lower Makefield had 11" verified by snow board.  

Some of us Northwest guys made out pretty darn well from a snow perspective (another example as how a Miller B can work out for the NW burbs) - An amazing event in my mind....I have never recorded a double digit snowfall event (11.5") and the temp on my main station never went below freezing!!  The lowest I recorded was 32.5....now I have 2 other thermometers not fan aspirated /shielded that had most of the day below 32....but the one I use for my "official" obs never went below freezing and yet....as almost all day it was pretty much moderate to heavy snow....can't wait to see the w.e. when it melts down tonight...the heavy blue snow on my shovel as I shoveled my drive (after my snowblower failed with the wet snow) and my back tells me it was a wee bit of water in that snow

5 minutes ago, shemATC said:

That honestly seems a bit low based on accounts from some people in Ewing and pictures I've seen.  Also as close as Lower Makefield had 11" verified by snow board.  

Physicsteve above is closer, he had 7.3”. Honestly paste jobs like this will rip my parents off since they are barely 100 feet elevation. I’m sure higher parts of town got an inch or two more just because of the marginal temps.

27 minutes ago, Physicsteve said:

IMG_5531.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

Are you in Ewing, Hopewell, or Yardley?

Lots of trees weighed down all around the house here in Abington.

The worst thing about the storm was all the people trying drive regular cars through this.

Took me forever to get home from work in my 4X4 truck being stuck behind people trying to drive rear wheel drive cars.

294lbx5.jpg&key=074791b0e9a5d84613f10dc5e6f4c3a93c05c235f66ca346a4ca72ac1f09b072IMG%255D&key=85aadc1db439ed1c919ef03e30f6ae5cedad595a507f2f71402febc507e30b375aa06c3b494cd_trucksnow.thumb.jpg.1b6c7311c111f8b0034ade4f737968e8.jpg

Some people like myself only have a rear wheel drive car. No reason to talk bad about people. I can work from home, some people do not get that luxury. God bless them and may they travel safely.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Some of us Northwest guys made out pretty darn well from a snow perspective (another example as how a Miller B can work out for the NW burbs) - An amazing event in my mind....I have never recorded a double digit snowfall event (11.5") and the temp on my main station never went below freezing!!  The lowest I recorded was 32.5....now I have 2 other thermometers not fan aspirated /shielded that had most of the day below 32....but the one I use for my "official" obs never went below freezing and yet....as almost all day it was pretty much moderate to heavy snow....can't wait to see the w.e. when it melts down tonight...the heavy blue snow on my shovel as I shoveled my drive (after my snowblower failed with the wet snow) and my back tells me it was a wee bit of water in that snow

In talking to some other coop observers....clearly elevation made a big difference today. A spotter only 4 miles SW of me but 300 feet lower  (I am at 685 ft asl) recorded only 6.5"....from my experience elevation really only makes a big difference in those borderline early or late season storms....

No idea what we have, but it's at least 3-4, guessing. Been running trees and wires down calls since 330pm, long night. But I can die in peace now, FINALLY experienced thundersnow, including a CG right in front of me on the Turnpike before I left work around 1. Awesome storm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

13.4" final tally in Warminster. I saw on Mt Holly site Richboro up the road recorded 16" and Newtown 13.2" so the totals here actually make sense. Amazing storm. Some of the heaviest rates I have ever seen. Marshmallow/cotton balls/snow pillows pouring down for several hours.

Yeah, that was such a long period of time for heavy rates 

Still snowing in somoco....time to rest the magnets for round 3.

Fun storm....heavy rains....snow and incredible lightening flashes that can only be described as blinding. Everyone who saw the biggest one though it was a nuclear explosion. Several said their eyes hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived