Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 6 -7 Noreaster Obs Thread

ChescoWx

50 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Yeah, it's bad.

Saw a suv spin out of control trying to pass me.

Like me, you most likely grew up driving a rearwheel drive car in this.

People don't know how to handle this

Likewise, only got stuck once, driving around the day after the "Blizzard of 78", I tried to go through a plowed snowbank (coming to a tee intersection from the bottom) about 3 feet high, not knowing it was at least 6 feet wide. So I wound up bellied out on about 18" of packed snow, lol. The driver of a tractor trailer who was stuck nearby on the main road lent me a skinny shovel to get underneath, so it worked out. A funny memory also :lol:.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Snow is wrapped up here 5" of Miller Bust disappointment another one in the March 2001 column for me

No question the massive convection that occurred pulled moisture from the surrounding areas and hurt their totals but what I can't understand is the rapid speed of the system east

Yeah about the same here. At least it was my biggest of the season. May have one more chance for big totals before spring comes.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Newman 7.5" and Dublin probably 12 or 13" when done looks like i got 4.20" something is very wrong with the continuum 

I'm not sure how you have that much less than me. I measured 4.5" on my measuring board, wiped it off, then measured 2.75" to finish off the storm for a total of 7.25". If I just measure what's on the deck and in the grass for snow depth then I get 6.75". Not to mention Huffs Church had a spotter measure 8.2" which isn't too far east of where I am.

Wound up with 10.5" accumulation, 4.5" before 10 am and 6.0" after. Snow depth on the ground is 9.0". Nice storm!!! Going by the greens on the models the last 2 days, and allowing for the ratio, pretty much within optimal expectations here. Congrats to those getting pummeled right now! Would love to see some pics.

Just now, KamuSnow said:

Wound up with 10.5" accumulation, 4.5" before 10 am and 6.0" after. Snow depth on the ground is 9.0". Nice storm!!! Going by the greens on the models the last 2 days, and allowing for the ratio, pretty much within optimal expectations here. Congrats to those getting pummeled right now! Would love to see some pics.

I assume the 9.0 depth on ground is measured on the grass?

Hard to gauge how much snow fell here just east of Philadelphia. It's just gross and sloppy. Was a sight to see it fall but it's already melting. Just got done shoveling and tons of water everywhere. Probably around 4-6 inches on the car top, but the grass is so wet that there's patches of nothing but puddles. Let's wrap this winter up boys!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Newman said:

I'm not sure how you have that much less than me. I measured 4.5" on my measuring board, wiped it off, then measured 2.75" to finish off the storm for a total of 7.25". If I just measure what's on the deck and in the grass for snow depth then I get 6.75". Not to mention Huffs Church had a spotter measure 8.2" which isn't too far east of where I am.

Ok real wacky hard to measure snow here I just took a stroll around the homestead for the first time today. My 5" measurement is on the deck which I cleared at 10:30 this morning at that time I had 2" then 3" more. Now my south little deck I sometimes measure from is 5.5" and that was not cleared this morning. I measure consistently 7.5" on the grass! 

How much snow did Redsky get?

I will adjust to 6" considering the uncleared 5.5" area should have been more due to compaction and the 5" cleared area had some tree interference from the east which does not effect the south platform. 1.5" difference in grass is about the typical inflation rate from my experience. 

Now when ever i discuss snow totals with relatives they always measure on the grass so i  have to make that mental deduction or inflate the numbers i tell them. Does it have to be this hard?

* and to add a fluffy mash potato snow measures more inflated on grass then dry and powdery as if things weren't difficult enough.

Pretty much done now.  Down to overcast with some flurries and 33F.  Will go with the 8" because the temp never went below freezing for entire duration of the storm (event starting from just after 10 pm last night through to now) and there was constant melting from underneath whatever did accumulate... Plus I had about an hour of light rain/drizzle from ~ 10 pm - 11 am, so this was a combined measurement before/after with a board that I have, cleared in between.   A lot of dripping going on at the moment.

I ended up with about 11" on grassy surfaces, though I'm guessing compaction affects that total.   Starting to lose some branches in the area now, including in my own yard... with me standing 15 feet away...  I think I'll stay inside for a while.

Death band never made it to East Stroudsburg but we really didn’t bust that badly here. I’m on the 4th floor of a building so I can’t give a totally accurate estimate...looks like somewhere between 8-10” has fallen, though. We did get a good band of snow for a couple hours that really helped us.

Bear Creek Ski Area reported 10", official spotter from Huffs Church said 10.5" total.....and I'm right in between them.  I waited until after it stopped, got 7.5" on car roof and grass, 5" on blacktop.  I guess when you use snowboards and clean them off you get a lot higher totals?  Makes the 12" I got in the driveway on 10-29-2011 mighty impressive!  (for the date and location)  

EDIT:  My yard was kinda water logged still, I'm at 900' on the plateau but my yard at my place is a mess.  Obviously I didn't measure in those areas but perhaps that has en effect?

46 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Ok real wacky hard to measure snow here I just took a stroll around the homestead for the first time today. My 5" measurement is on the deck which I cleared at 10:30 this morning at that time I had 2" then 3" more. Now my south little deck I sometimes measure from is 5.5" and that was not cleared this morning. I measure consistently 7.5" on the grass! 

How much snow did Redsky get?

I will adjust to 6" considering the uncleared 5.5" area should have been more due to compaction and the 5" cleared area had some tree interference from the east which does not effect the south platform. 1.5" difference in grass is about the typical inflation rate from my experience. 

Now when ever i discuss snow totals with relatives they always measure on the grass so i  have to make that mental deduction or inflate the numbers i tell them. Does it have to be this hard?

* and to add a fluffy mash potato snow measures more inflated on grass then dry and powdery as if things weren't difficult enough.

Haha about the inflated totals, I see that a lot too.  Living here at 900', I usually have to drive quite a few miles for someone to have more than me, (unless it's another spot on the hilltop, which I don't count obviously)  yet I hear all the time about places that supposedly got more than me, just to drive by and think "where's the beef? (snow)".  

Lots of trees weighed down all around the house here in Abington.

The worst thing about the storm was all the people trying drive regular cars through this.

Took me forever to get home from work in my 4X4 truck being stuck behind people trying to drive rear wheel drive cars.

294lbx5.jpgIMG%5D5aa06c3b494cd_trucksnow.thumb.jpg.1b6c7311c111f8b0034ade4f737968e8.jpg

Archived