Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Whether it's an actual Miller b, hybrid miller a/b or whatever you want to classify it as, when you have a coastal storm forming off the shores of the Delmarva it never truly gets to peak for the metro to see the biggest totals unless it's moving extremely slow or stalling. Now we usually end up doing a lot better than places like philly or Washington DC but the true winners will always be SNE. That's why the last decade has seen places like CT and LI do really well because they usually catch the good banding on the western side when the storm has fully matured and maxed out

Philly area got hit pretty hard today.

8 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Whether it's an actual Miller b, hybrid miller a/b or whatever you want to classify it as, when you have a coastal storm forming off the shores of the Delmarva it never truly gets to peak for the metro to see the biggest totals unless it's moving extremely slow or stalling. Now we usually end up doing a lot better than places like philly or Washington DC but the true winners will always be SNE. That's why the last decade has seen places like CT and LI do really well because they usually catch the good banding on the western side when the storm has fully matured and maxed out

see the Lindsay storm, Feb 8-9, 1969. True Miller B. No metro area did better than NYC. JFk 20.2"

to me its pretty simple - temp profiles. They have sucked for the better part of 7 weeks.

11 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 5 pm, we were up to 6.25" (1.5" that hour) and we then got 1.5" between 5 and 6 pm, so we're up to 7.75" for the storm (about 7" on the ground, plus the 3/4" we had this morning) as of 6 pm. And still coming down. Can we get another hour out of this and get to 9"? Maybe.

Actually it is still snowing over here too. I'll have to measure again. There can't be that much difference between here and Metuchen.

6 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

Heard that too. Also heard 59 is blocked off in a couple of places, probably lines down. Lights have been flickering recently, the last time this complex legit lost power was Sandy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All of rockland is in real bad shape, hundreds of trees down, a couple trees into houses, between this and friday's storm its been an absolute disaster. 

Moderate snow, still not much accumulation to speak of. 

Temps set the precedent for a bust here in the city, but I blame rates/disorganization of the banding far more. When it snowed hard, it stuck. Then it stopped for two hours and let everything go back to puddles. Can't accumulate if it isn't snowing. 

Briefly moderate snow as the dryslot approached, then quickly ramped back up to very heavy snow which is still ongoing.  Something just fell in the woods behind the house and ripped a wire off the house.  Everything seems to be functioning so I think it is old phone company copper that we don't use any more...but power is getting very tenuous here.  This video from about 25 minutes ago.  visibility has been running about 1/8 mile.

48 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Large crash and now lost power in Whitestone, Queens.

Where in Whitestone are you?  I'm right off the Utopia Pkwy exit right near the Throgs Neck Bridge.  We really got the shaft on this one, surprised that anybody lost any power in our neighborhood from only a couple of inches even though it's a couple of inches of cement.

4 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Still have light to occasionally moderate snow falling here, temp 32

Taking compaction into account my accumulation is around 3.5"-4.0"

Snow is very heavy and wet.

Same here. Just under 4. Metuchen is twice as much. And its snowing hard. Are we measuring wrong?

3 minutes ago, nzucker said:

You clearly undermeasured. You guys are like 2 miles from each other. No way he has 8" and you have 3".

All differences aside, and apologies for my crankiness ( public apology here ) earlier, but I am sticking the ruler on a picnic table, on the lawn, on the porch. I don't come up with more than 4. This can't that complicated. Compression? It IS snowing steadily.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

All differences aside, and apologies for my crankiness ( public apology here ) earlier, but I am sticking the ruler on a picnic table, on the lawn, on the porch. I don't come up with more than 4. This can't that complicated. Compression? It IS snowing steadily.

Well the problem is that a lot of surfaces are warm so it's hard to measure a storm like this. I don't think it's your fault personally. I just think there is bound to be variation.

Also, a lot of people had an inch overnight so you have to add that on.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived