Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Holy crap, the wall of snow has finally arrived! Strap in folks, going to be a crazy 8 hours. Hope nobody is stuck on the road in this as it's going to get really bad really fast. Already accumulating on everything quickly here. At 11:45 I said to the wife (I'm "working from home" as work is closed) that I'm going to take a shower and if it's not snowing heavily in 15 minutes, I'll eat your hat (she has one of those huge Kentucky Derby hats). Stepped out of the shower at noon and the flakes just started pouring. Perfect timing. It's freaking amazing out there. Time for a walk.

Edit: just came back in from a walk - extremely heavy snow, with 1" on the ground on all surfaces (as I keep harping on, with great enough rates, surface temps and surface albedo and daylight simply don't matter - now things will accumulate easily on top of 32F snow) in 25 minutes, which is a little over 2" per hour (did that math in my head, lol).  

And so much for that Kuchera ratio - I don't even have to melt it down to tell you it's at least close to 10:1 (thought it would be), as it simply doesn't look that dense, plus hard to imagine getting a lot more than 2" per hour (if the ratio were 7:1, I'd have 3" at 10:1 - maybe it's that high, but I don't think so) , which we gave gotten in the first hour.

2" on the ground now since the noon start (and we had 3/4" on the ground around 8 am, which melted, but that counts) and 33F now.  

3 minutes ago, snow1 said:

Any idea what time this will end? I’m hearing it will be done by 8pm in NJ. If that’s true, I don’t see how we reach 8-12”

8-10 PM depending on where in North Jersey you are. The city looks to hang on until 10 or so and midnight for LI.

Edit: Just had a bright flash and 5-7 second rumble of thunder in midtown.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived