Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

It takes a lot for me to jump fully on board for a storm and I go over what can go wrong. People take that as me being a downer, whatever. My original idea was this would be better north and west of the city because of the possibility of a west track. It turned out that the outcome was right but not because it hugged the coast. The low did trend SE last minute and mid level warm air didn’t make it this far north. What killed it for you and I was dry air which is much harder to predict until the storm is underway. I had a warning out for 6-10” and statements for 2-3” per hour snow which never materialized. The snow was much more banded than what usually happens, and in that case there are big winners and losers. UHI was a factor in Manhattan for sure and maybe at the airports, but that’s not what killed it where you and I are, or snow map fantasies. It was lousy rates. 

I respect your posts because you speak like a level headed meterologist, no biases either way and not in a condescending tone.  Most mets take the conservative approach especially when it's a borderline situation so basically, keep up the good work and ignore the haters.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CTNoreaster said:

By the time I was able to measure it had flipped to rain and everything was falling off the trees. I'm sure we probably had more at one point.

Gotcha. Same with Easton measured 10 and after the flip was down to 9 quickly.

According to NWS Fairfield got 10 as well.

Probably depends on where the measurement was taken

Tons of people without power (On top of those who did not have power restored from last weeks nor'easter), over 20 inches of snow just across the hudson river from NYC, A teacher getting struck by lighting, and more thunder snow in one storm than i can remember throughout my entire life. If you think this nor'easter was a dud I'd suggest you go hide back under your rock.

33 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Wound up with 4" here when all was said and done.

We’ve had some big differences this year given how close we are.  8.5 here, although upton reported your number as well.   I’m right along the north shore so maybe that helped a bit with temps. 

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

This is the first time that I can remember NYC staying under 6" while areas so close to the west topped 20" and even 25".

We were relying on that band.

Everyone busted for NYC

Huge storms haven't happened in March in NYC in a long time. We busted with March 2001 , last year and now yesterday.

Just now, Snow88 said:

We were relying on that band.

Everyone busted for NYC

Huge storms haven't happened in March in NYC in a long time. We busted with March 2001 , last year and now yesterday.

Almost reminded me of a summer thunderstorm event with an organized low where the best storms location where only known at nowcast time. Add in the warm start with rain early and the dryslot at the end for added difficulty. 

Measured about 24" on the deck in Livingston, Essex Co. NJ, about 20 miles west of midtown.  Probably a bit more fell considering compaction.  

Didn't have much until about 12:30pm, then that megaband pretty much sat over us until about 8:30pm.  Had a bit of a lull from 3 - 4 pm but otherwise averaged 3-4" / hour rates.  Most intense snow I can remember since being in some lake effect snow bands in upstate NY back in college in the early 80's.

No thundersnow though.

1 hour ago, Snowshack said:

We’ve had some big differences this year given how close we are.  8.5 here, although upton reported your number as well.   I’m right along the north shore so maybe that helped a bit with temps. 

We have, which is a bit unusual. The heavy band in the evening parked for a while just to my west after hitting hard. I'm sure that temps had something to do with it too. I could definitely see you being a degree or two colder over there throughout. 

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

The tree destruction from friday and now last night in rockland is unbelievable. Sandy was the only thing around here that was even in the same ballpark (and obviously surpassed these storms). 

The 2010's has been a particularly difficult decade for trees around the region. Seemed to get started with the March 2010 windstorm Noreaster.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 2010's has been a particularly difficult decade for trees around the region. Seemed to get started with the March 2010 windstorm Noreaster.

We've lost a lot of older trees. A factor here too was the ciccada emergence in 2013. In normal times the trees can stand it and they are nature's pruners; but the trees were weakened already from all the storms. I lost an old oak that just didn't recover from them. Took it down this year and glad I did or it would have been on the house today I'm sure.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

We've lost a lot of older trees. A factor here too was the ciccada emergence in 2013. In normal times the trees can stand it and they are nature's pruners; but the trees were weakened already from all the storms. I lost an old oak that just didn't recover from them. Took it down this year and glad I did or it would have been on the house today I'm sure.

Nearly all the older sycamore trees in Long Beach had to come down due to saltwater damage from Sandy. I still go back into town from time to time and don't recognize the blocks with all the missing trees. 

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

The tree destruction from friday and now last night in rockland is unbelievable. Sandy was the only thing around here that was even in the same ballpark (and obviously surpassed these storms). 

Did you guys get the 17 year ciccadas up there or is that a Jersey thing? There are different broods and they emerge at different times. Fascinating creatures. But they damaged a lot of trees. Estimates of brood population here was around a billion. Yes that's right. And the animals go crazy gorging on them. Squirrels, dogs, cats, birds.....seagulls migrated inland to feast on them. It's a sight to behold.

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

This week has been bad for the area. All of the weaker trees around my yard got taken out. 

The most impressive part here was so many high tide cycles with at least minor coastal flooding. While the winds were strong on the South Shore, they were no match for March 2010.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived