Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

The UHI killed the more developed areas of NYC. It wasn't really a north-south thing because Staten Island had 8"....and we had about 5-6" here in the Northeast Bronx. 

You have to account for UHI when it's a late-season storm with a marginal boundary layer. There wasn't an arctic high in place so we didn't have a very cold airmass.

Good thing you just helped validate my 6” at 120th and Broadway. Even Broadway was completely snow covered for most of the afternoon and evening here. We also have some modest elevation being in morningside hights. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Good thing you just helped validate my 6” at 120th and Broadway. Even Broadway was completely snow covered for most of the afternoon and evening here. We also have some modest elevation being in morningside hights. 

Even around central park where ABC 7 was accumulated more than just 20 blocks south 

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

took the family to Mahwah. Crazy difference driiving back between Upper Bergen and Nyc metro. Once over the GWB the roads has no snow. Went from 20 inches to about 10 in the paramaus area to around 3-5 here in Western Nassau.

NYC?LI just dont seem to accumate with borderline temps. The 850 and 925 temps were good and so was LP placement. Frustrating! but happy i saw the 20 inches and crazy snow rates before coming home.

We’ve accumulated fine with borderline temps before. And today when it fell moderate or better it accumulated fine. April 2003 had 7” accumulate during the day. We just had really bad luck with being in subsidence much of the day either from the dryslot or the band over NJ. Oddly there were times today here when solid echos were overhead but it wasn’t any better than light intensity. Overall this is one I’m glad to see gone, and by tomorrow 12 noon it’ll be like nothing fell here.

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

1 minute ago, seanick said:

Even around central park where ABC 7 was accumulated more than just 20 blocks south 

Yep got 5” here

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It wasn't a bad storm here in the Bronx, but expectations were overblown with the NWS raising totals to 10-14" today and TWC having 12-18". It's just hard to accumulate in UHI areas with a marginal boundary layer during the day in early-to-mid March. It would have been a different story at night or with an arctic high to the north.

However, we had an incredible period of heavy snowfall from 3pm to 6pm. Coated all the roads and made travel treacherous. 

Nice event but had the banding over NJ been in NYC, we would have seen 12"+. Was a lot of moisture with this system.

30 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

Not saying they are wrong, but I have yet to see an official report anywhere of over 20 inches from this storm.  I'm guessing around 10 people have stated on this board they have over 20 inches from this storm.  Pretty amazing.

20"+ zone is W Passaic county, Northern Bergen county, Northern Rockland county, Eastern Orange county 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We’ve accumulated fine with borderline temps before. And today when it fell moderate or better it accumulated fine. April 2003 had 7” accumulate during the day. We just had really bad luck with being in subsidence much of the day either from the dryslot or the band over NJ. Oddly there were times today here when solid echos were overhead but it wasn’t any better than light intensity. Overall this is one I’m glad to see gone, and by tomorrow 12 noon it’ll be like nothing fell here.

The mega band over NJ created a lot of subsidence directly to the east, and it never fully pivoted over us. By the time it shifted east, the deformation axis was weakening with the surface low heading towards Rhode Island. We had very light snow for much of the morning and early afternoon before it intensified. 

I do think marginal temperatures played a factor. That's why Staten Island had 8" and Central Park had 2.5"....The UHI made a HUGE difference on the marginal BL.

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

look at the radar - it might not be completely done....lets see if that comes down as snow or rain or as you said light precip under stronger echoes

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

i'm across from SI, am not urban and had only 4.5 or so. Areas to the west of me by 2 miles had much more. So it wasn't UHI here. But I wanna say, my local schools are closed tomorrow, because the custodians cannot clean the sidewalks leading to the schools with snowblowers. The machines are useless in this. I tried. Twice. It was impossible. I'm not dying trying to clean a March storm that is gonna melt and one that I can just drive over. I am profoundly glad we did not get a foot. My wife and I were just discussing this. We are not young and can't clean this stuff. Every one of my neighbors is complaining to high heaven about snow. I don't see how areas with a foot or more will be dug out anytime soon, and if this had hit the city it would have been a total disaster. Let's be thankful here.

13 minutes ago, nzucker said:

The UHI killed the more developed areas of NYC. It wasn't really a north-south thing because Staten Island had 8"....and we had about 5-6" here in the Northeast Bronx. 

You have to account for UHI when it's a late-season storm with a marginal boundary layer. There wasn't an arctic high in place so we didn't have a very cold airmass.

Also feel like there was always some rain mixing in at time around the boroughs which held accums down

Great find.
I think that also has to do with what I was saying before about the dry conveyer belt running over long Island as the storm to the west occluded. It allowed that punch of warmer dryer air to infiltrate north. As the CCB develops with the storm to the east, it's still scouring that out. Likewise the dynamics of the storm could still be working out that warmer dryer air through the levels.

5 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Also feel like there was always some rain mixing in at time around the boroughs which held accums down

We didn't have much rain here, but it just didn't accumulate well until the rates got REALLY heavy later in the afternoon.

Staten Island and Southern Brooklyn/Queens lost a lot more to rain. Though even Bay Ridge, my old stomping grounds, had like 5". 

I actually think UHI was the biggest factor here. LGA was the lowest report at 1.7", and they have the worst UHI in the entire City. Staten Island has the least urban footprint, and they had 8"...the Bronx is in the middle and had 5-6". Bay Ridge, though far south, is really residential and did decently too, better than much of Midtown Manhattan well to the north.

56 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

LOL - raining in the "CCB".  Raining in Woodmere as well.

For the second straight storm the GFS had the thermals "right' better than the other crap models. The euro is as worthless as the NAM these days....don't care what you guys say.

The gfs was bad with both storms.  

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

22.8 final 

Excellent, excellent storm here in Denville — 19 inches.   Had some rumbles of thunder.    Snow stuck to everything.   Lost power for 2nd time this week,   Generator running again.  Totally worth it.    Storm was fun to track as well from a Morris county perspective 

4 minutes ago, nzucker said:

We didn't have much rain here, but it just didn't accumulate well until the rates got REALLY heavy later in the afternoon.

Staten Island and Southern Brooklyn/Queens lost a lot more to rain. Though even Bay Ridge, my old stomping grounds, had like 5". 

I actually think UHI was the biggest factor here. LGA was the lowest report at 1.7", and they have the worst UHI in the entire City. Staten Island has the least urban footprint, and they had 8"...the Bronx is in the middle and had 5-6". Bay Ridge, though far south, is really residential and did decently too, better than much of Midtown Manhattan well to the north.

Rain wasn’t much of a factor here. When intensity came up late morning, it went to snow easily. 

Ratios were terrible here for sure. The snow I had is like cement. And there were good stretches where I had small, lousy flakes and even grain-like pellets. At least where I am, the problem wasn’t the heat island although down here right on the coast it was probably a degree or two warmer than northern Nassau. We had maybe an hour of really heavy rates, that’s what killed it. 

Manhattan though is a different story. I could definitely see UHI costing Central Park a few inches today. Too bad more couldn’t fall at night. I’ve seen other events in Manhattan late season that have a hard time sticking where it easily would in less urban Queens, Bronx etc. 

19 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Screwed again. Just missed the death band and ended up with 6.5''. Bomb cyclone II last Friday I had a trace. I'm ready to pack my bags and move to Caribou Maine.

You had more than me; my BIL in Piscataway, which is ten minutes by car from me, had 10, I had almost 5. But it isn't a fun snow. Its damaging wet cement.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived