Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This was pretty cool...

Check out this depolarization streak over NYC -- probably the most prominent I've seen yet. No wonder there's been thundersnow reported at both LGA and EWR. #njwx #nywx #nycwx pic.twitter.com/ePgMk8zf92

Depolarization streaks showing up which indicates snowflakes in the clouds are aligning with one another due to growing electrical charge in the clouds. Typically means thundersnow isn't far behind. #nbcctpic.twitter.com/Sj2miczMhv

I learn something every day. That was new to me. Thanks!  To make this semi-non-banter - the pivot in interesting to watch as it unfolds. Rare that I benefit from it out here. Dry slot looks to be just touching RP.  Just might work out this time.  Impressive storm.

Edit: Ground truth here is something of a blend between intellicast, NWS radar, and whatever my phone app is.

8 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
18 minutes ago, Rjay said:
Moderate snow.  Reallt blossoming overhead

Is it me or is this CCB really getting going right now?

There has to be a dry layer somewhere.  I'm under intense echoes and snowing moderately.

7 minutes ago, ag3 said:

A pathetic 3” or so here in Whitestone, Queens.

Urban Heat Island killed the immediate metro.

First time in many years that I have been on the right side of a major shaft. 

Then again at least you got something, many times I wasn't as fortunate. 

5” and snowing lightly now.

Lost power for a few seconds, I’d literally just saved multiple hours worth of computer-related work just minutes prior, I’m glad I did.

Tree branches sagging, power lines down. I just cleared the snow off my palms (yes, palms...), their leaves appear permanently damaged (saggy) from the weight of the snow, they’ll quickly grow out of it though.

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

There has to be a dry layer somewhere.  I'm under intense echoes and snowing moderately.

Agreed. Base presentation out of OKX looks heavy here in RP. Base presentation out of BOX looks bone dry here. I don't know the base elevation angle tho. No complaints - very fortunate to get what we're getting out here. 5" OTG in RP. I've seen higher totals nearby. Believable given past storm histories. Still watching the pivot to see what it brings. Given the dynamics, have hope ...

None of you are reporting on the big news of the day.

over 300,000 without power in Jersey.  And numerous major roads closed..  route 80 @ 287 has been closed like all day.  Route 280 , 78 , so many others....look at traffic.  Never seen it like that  for jersey before.

now u guys get to see what we experienced few days ago.. major roads turned into parking lots

A couple of inches here. Snowing lightly. It's March, but hard to rate this as anything but a disappointment (although this snow is extremely heavy, so maybe I should count my blessings that there's little to shovel). Especially given how the storm ultimately tracked cold. Just crazy shaft/subsidence and jackpot zones even for a storm like this. School in town was closed today, but I've seen days where school was open that were much worse.

Outside my front door a few minutes ago 

IMG_0992.JPG

You’ll prob have so many clowns complaining about the road crews not doing their job,etc ,etc...it’s not their fault.  I Knew this was going to happen....can’t do nothing when 2 to 3 inches of snow per hour comes down...for multiple hours.  

Even when there’s just 1 accident...once that standstill starts, forgetabouddit 

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived