Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Got to 4 here. Measured all over the place. Some areas under four.

Sometimes you can see very large differences in snow amounts within short distances in these very dynamic storms. Looks like being just a few miles west made quite a difference in this case. Although my 8" is far from a jackpot amount. Sounds like some places in NJ are near a foot and a half.

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Sometimes you can see very large differences in snow amounts within short distances in these very dynamic storms. Looks like being just a few miles west made quite a difference in this case. Although my 8" is far from a jackpot amount. Sounds like some places in NJ are near a foot and a half.

I'd really need to see what some towns east of me did....Woodbridge, Port Reading, Carteret, they should be a little less.

6 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Franklin lakes got 24"

10 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

All differences aside, and apologies for my crankiness ( public apology here ) earlier, but I am sticking the ruler on a picnic table, on the lawn, on the porch. I don't come up with more than 4. This can't that complicated. Compression? It IS snowing steadily.

If you have 4 inches on the ground right now you probably had about 6 inches total accumulation considering the moisture content and duration.  Bad luck today.  Plus or Minus 10 miles can make a big difference sometimes.

Just now, eduggs said:

If you have 4 inches on the ground right now you probably had about 6 inches total accumulation considering the moisture content and duration.  Bad luck today.  Plus or Minus 10 miles can make a big difference sometimes.

That's what Im thinking. I read somewhere the weather service counts what has fallen, not what is on the ground. Any truth to that?

20 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Actually it is still snowing over here too. I'll have to measure again. There can't be that much difference between here and Metuchen.

Not too far from you and I have 7" and still coming down...Sometimes its hard to figure out why the differences...Just the variability of the snowfall I guess.

This was pretty cool...

Check out this depolarization streak over NYC -- probably the most prominent I've seen yet. No wonder there's been thundersnow reported at both LGA and EWR. #njwx #nywx #nycwx pic.twitter.com/ePgMk8zf92

Depolarization streaks showing up which indicates snowflakes in the clouds are aligning with one another due to growing electrical charge in the clouds. Typically means thundersnow isn't far behind. #nbcctpic.twitter.com/Sj2miczMhv

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived