Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

its almost like the storm matured a lot later than mets/models anticipated

Make no mistake though, in my area we did not see big snows but it is 3-4 and it is a beautiful winter scene out there right now. Picturesque, and much more hazardous than the smaller amounts would lead one to think. In fact, with the difficulty removing this stuff, I may have a school delay tomorrow. Other parts of NJ will be closed again. My BIl works in Red Bank and they had nothing down there when he came home. Don't know if they got anything.

4 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

its almost like the storm matured a lot later than mets/models anticipated

What else is new with miller b's. that's why SNE is always favored with these and is no different this time. If there was an arctic airmass in place Boston would be getting 2 feet

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

No I'm by Plainfield country club on SP border. Had 3" at 330 and hasn't stopped dumping since

That's like a ten minute drive from here. I have, in my youth, jogged up to that area from Colonia. I'm wondering if the Colonia area near there did better than me; I'm over by Rahway more.

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

OMGWOW!!!!  The heaviest snow this year, no question, and maybe in many years, although I probably always say that - most recent one always stands out - this 2-3" per hour stuff, even heavier than earlier. Let's see if it holds up.  After getting now more accumulation from 2:00 to maybe 3:30 or so (sleet, rain and low intensity, plus compaction), was still at 3.0" new at 3:00 pm.  Well I just took my 4 pm measurement and we're up to 4" of new snow and 4.75" overall. Got an inch in the last 20 minutes, which is a 3" per hour rate.  Will we sustain that?  

Also, if folks didn't see it NWS-Philly just updated their snow map and warnings/advisories.   Initially surprised the NWS increased total snowfall amounts for us again, although looking at the radar and the absolute puking snowfall rates right now, maybe it's not a bad call.  

As of 5 pm, we were up to 6.25" (1.5" that hour) and we then got 1.5" between 5 and 6 pm, so we're up to 7.75" for the storm (about 7" on the ground, plus the 3/4" we had this morning) as of 6 pm. And still coming down. Can we get another hour out of this and get to 9"? Maybe.

Yeah you guys got setup very nicely by that band that parked over 287. No doubt higher amounts verify there. Everywhere else really couldn't get things going steadily 
It's still over us. Finally got lucky! I'm not even thinking about the shoveling for our cars yet. Too depressing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, weatherlogix said:

this wasnt a true Miller B

Whether it's an actual Miller b, hybrid miller a/b or whatever you want to classify it as, when you have a coastal storm forming off the shores of the Delmarva it never truly gets to peak for the metro to see the biggest totals unless it's moving extremely slow or stalling. Now we usually end up doing a lot better than places like philly or Washington DC but the true winners will always be SNE. That's why the last decade has seen places like CT and LI do really well because they usually catch the good banding on the western side when the storm has fully matured and maxed out

I heard reports of 202 being in bad shape, trees down etc.
Heard that too. Also heard 59 is blocked off in a couple of places, probably lines down. Lights have been flickering recently, the last time this complex legit lost power was Sandy

Just now, nycemt123 said:

Heard that too. Also heard 59 is blocked off in a couple of places, probably lines down. Lights have been flickering recently, the last time this complex legit lost power was Sandy

Rt. 23 is bad too, and forget about the side roads here.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived