Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kat5hurricane said:

Snowing a lot harder and still not sticking anywhere except for a bit on the grass and on trees.  This is just not a storm for the coast IMO but we've been spoiled the last 15 years so can't complain too much. Ki

Really? Because it is starting to accumulate on streets and sidewalks here in Woodhaven.

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

You are being ignorant

Look at the models and try again

You are the only one calling it a bust.

Relax

The models? It's halfway through the game, just look at the radar. 

It's neither time to commit suicide nor hug the 12-18" in the RGEM was printing out. I think there's a solid chance the city sees a good 4-6" as the sun goes down and rates pick up. 

26 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
43 minutes ago, BlueDXer75 said:
There is a ton of moisture and convection off shore heading this way.  

The thing about convection and banding is that it tends to be intermittent at times. All the air being released has be brought back into the atmosphere and thus on either side of heavy bands, there is normally subsidence. Essentially the air is forced out aloft over the bands and this air has to go somewhere, which is either side of the banding.

Thats my fear. Intermittent snow unfortunately doesnt cut it for significant snow at these temps/time of yr/time of day. I try temper my excitement when relying on very heavy snowfall rates to accumulate snow in marginal temps.  I need a few inches down first around here before it can withstand any breaks in precip.

Just now, seanick said:

Really? Because it is starting to accumulate on streets and sidewalks here in Woodhaven.

Nope, all wet on the streets and the sidewalks.  Even most of the grass is bare, a bit of slush on the cartops. 

The rates just aren't dynamic enough to overcome the wet ground. I really don't mean to be one of the complainers but this storm has been a big dud thus far.

1 minute ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Eric is right.

Even here in the Bronx, minus that hour of +(TS)SN, I've had basically white rain the whole storm.

Now the dryslot is in control and everything's getting pulled east rapidly.

City will be 3-6".

I think the storm is mostly slower, not weaker, than expected. We always thought the highest totals would be inland over NNJ and Rockland, and that hasn't changed. But there's not much reason to back away from a 8-12" forecast for NYC. The radar looks ANGRY.

4 minutes ago, ScottB said:

Same. As soon as that subsidence hit we've been stuck in nothing but sleet and ice since. Haven't seen a single flake since. 

Strange storm for sure.  Been heavy here since about 12:15 but I'm only up to 2.5" meanwhile other spots have 6-10 already and others have less than 1. 10+ is not happening. I'll be happy with 6 if I can make it there

2 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I think the storm is mostly slower, not weaker, than expected. We always thought the highest totals would be inland over NNJ and Rockland, and that hasn't changed. But there's not much reason to back away from a 8-12" forecast for NYC. The radar looks ANGRY.

Okay, you tell me how we pull 7" out of this current mess. I have less than an inch for all this.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived