Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dino said:

ratios are awful here -- we're getting 5:1 maybe less ratios, and the snow is melting in between subsidence zones.  currently flurries.  

forecast is 8 to 12" currently....that means we need literally 8 to 12 inches to fall starting with next wave.  not looking good guys.  areas west are able to retain their accumulations, not the case in LIC.

Oh well. Enjoy the snow.

1 minute ago, hooralph said:

You can, ah, see the accumulation challenges here in the scorching heat island.

IMG_9493.thumb.jpg.2feb76a63c750f4c6c4c198f302afbfa.jpg

You're asking for snow to accumulate in a border line setup in a higly urbanized area during the day in March, not an easy task. Up here in the NW burbs it's a Winter wonder land.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

You're asking for snow to accumulate in a border line setup in a higly urbanized area during the day in March, not an easy task. Up here in the NW burbs it's a Winter wonder land.

I'm not asking for anything, just providing an observation. Never thought we could hit the high end of accumulations. Harkens back to the discussion yesterday about why climatology still matters in forecasting! But I'll enjoy the rates and the slush as it piles up. If/when it picks back up, we should be able to get it to accumulate and stick to the trees.

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Snowing heavier by the minute outside. Coating on colder surfaces. The bust proclamations need to stop. Pretty sure we will be accumulating up to a few inches per hour shortly. 

Do you think we can eek out 6 inches from Lynbrook to Long Beach?

I'm getting that increase in snow as you just mentioned.

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

And so much for that Kuchera ratio - I don't even have to melt it down to tell you it's at least close to 10:1 (thought it would be), as it simply doesn't look that dense, plus hard to imagine getting a lot more than 2" per hour (if the ratio were 7:1, I'd have 3" at 10:1 - maybe it's that high, but I don't think so) , which we gave gotten in the first hour.

2" on the ground now since the noon start (and we had 3/4" on the ground around 8 am, which melted, but that counts) and 33F now.  

Well so much for that statement, lol, as the sleet mixing in certainly hasn't helped ratios (but as I've said many times, I'm a mass guy, not a density guy, lol).  For the past hour I did some errands.  Went onto Route 1 for a bit, then 287 and both were snow covered and getting bad and local roads in Edison and Metuchen are an adventure.  

Back to the snow.  About 1:30 pm or so started getting some sleet and then the past 20 minutes have been snow/sleet and surprisingly just moderate in intensity.  Looks like that's about to change and hopefully we'll go back to all snow (50/50 now).  As of 2:00 pm we have 3" of new snow on the ground, so only 1" the last hour.  3.75" total counting our 3/4" in the morning.  

1 minute ago, hooralph said:

I'm not asking for anything, just providing an observation. Never thought we could hit the high end of accumulations. Harkens back to the discussion yesterday about why climatology still matters in forecasting! But I'll enjoy the rates and the slush as it piles up. If/when it picks back up, we should be able to get it to accumulate and stick to the trees.

This is why I decided not to update my snowfall map last night even when things ticked East. I'm sure the outer burbs and LI will do well however once the sun begins to set and the system begins to pull East.

Just now, allgame830 said:

Not so sure about that... I don’t think it will until around 10pm for NYC 

That's according to the HRRR, doesn't make it correct, but the radar does look like the system is pulling East at a significant pace. The question will be whether or not the system stalls briefly as it begins to occlude late this afternoon.

6 minutes ago, nzucker said:

We want it to move east so the heavy banding currently over NJ moves here.

The bands will not be as intense once they reach Long Island because by then the system will have begun to weaken. The heaviest snows are while the storm is strengthening. Right now it's down to 992mb, so still another 4mb or so of deepening to go before it reaches it's forecasted peak.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived