Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived decades in the HV without ever seeing snowfall as heavy as many here are seeing now or will see later today.  It's funny to hear people worry that there's rain mixed in or a brief lull when the radar is lit up like Christmas.  I think a lot of youngsters in the area have been spoiled in recent years by a lot of epic storms.

Just now, eduggs said:

I lived decades in the HV without ever seeing snowfall as heavy as many here are seeing now or will see later today.  It's funny to hear people worry that there's rain mixed in or a brief lull when the radar is lit up like Christmas.  I think a lot of youngsters in the area have been spoiled in recent years by a lot of epic storms.

I agree with most of the above statement.  I grew up on Long Island in the 70’s and 80’s.   Snow was very hard to come by.   

As for the remainder of this storm I will wait and see 

4 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

do you live on the south shore of LI? If not, you don't know the hell JM and I consistently go through

Same is happening here on the North Shore, nada.  I know that we will get the heavier rates for a couple of hours and it'll be a good show but I doubt that the higher totals verify. Of course I could very well eat crow if the rates are 3-4"/hr for 3-4 hours.

ratios are awful here -- we're getting 5:1 maybe less ratios, and the snow is melting in between subsidence zones.  currently flurries.  

forecast is 8 to 12" currently....that means we need literally 8 to 12 inches to fall starting with next wave.  not looking good guys.  areas west are able to retain their accumulations, not the case in LIC.

There is a ton of moisture and convection off shore heading this way.  
The thing about convection and banding is that it tends to be intermittent at times. All the air being released has be brought back into the atmosphere and thus on either side of heavy bands, there is normally subsidence. Essentially the air is forced out aloft over the bands and this air has to go somewhere, which is either side of the banding.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived