• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13, 2019 storm thread

Ji

:o The Super Duper Uber Long Range GFS has the storm bomb to 958mb around or immediately north of VA beach. We are getting snow from hour 8880 to 8952 and, based off of what I'm seeing, rates look to be 4-6"/hr for about 18-24 hours assuming 10:1 ratios w/ sustained surface winds of around 35kts. On top of all of that surface temps are in the lower 10's even upper 0's to the north and west...very cold for a mid-March storm. If this comes to fruition.......

GIVE ME MY POWDER BOMB THUNDERSNOW!! 

And now the 12z GFS shows a Superstorm 1978 redux. It has a 957mb low over Detroit, MI. However, on the brighter side for severe weenies it shows mid 70's+ temps w/ mid/upper 60's dewpts w/ wicked shear. Low level shear looks beastly 0-1km shear: 500-750 m2/s2 along with 1,000 J/kg sbcape. It shows quite the line (probably a serial derecho) blast through the region between 20z-23z on the 12th. Roughly 1480 runs left to go before we know the final outcome. 

Note: The Superstorm of 1978 brought severe weather to the region including an F3 tornado in northern VA. 

19 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

LOL, what does the EURO at 8930 look like?

Massive snowstorm, a 920 mb Miller A, loaded with moisture. Virginia is under a State of Emergency a week before the storm. Two to four feet of snow are forecast in the Washington Metropolitan Region. Everyone is being instructed to shelter at home. In addition to record snows, sustained winds of 40 mph with gusts to 90 are forecast over the coastal sections. People are actually fleeing, going west and all the major interstates are parking lots. This, a WEEK before the storm.

Archived