joxey
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Saturday morning...

Definitely some impressive temps for April. DC riding the line on the 850s as well as the surface. North and west looks pretty solid at that time.

Verbatim this looks very sensitive to timing.....850s start out warm then push south throughout the day, but of course surface starts out colder and warms during daylight hours. 

36 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

ICON supports GFS solution, CMC likes a little more precip as snow, maybe think of it as a blend of NAM and GFS.

Wait for the RGEM so we don't have to use the friggen NAM.   Anyway best to stay conservative and up amounts later if needed.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So Euro has a 1001 low off the VA capes with some good 850s.  Can't see **** else on the free maps.

Not missing anything. DC is on the extreme northern edge of the precip field. Might see a trace or so. Snowfall maps (10-1) have 6-10 inch totals through southern VA up through southern eastern shore.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

I bet Eps will be full of  interesting hits :)

Yeah, not a bad look through that period of time on the op. Wouldn't take much in the way of adjustment on that run to get a good hit through the region. So it would come as no surprise, to be expected actually, if we see some of the ensembles have some nice hits mixed in.

18 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Even if it does come north, what are we looking at here....3:1 ratios?

Actually it's a pretty cold look through our region (DC/Balt). 700's are plenty cold for snow growth. 850's on down are plenty fine. Excepting any sneaky mid-level warm layer the surface is the only place coming in above freezing and that by just a degree or two. Mind you these temps are even without the benefit of evaporational cooling. Get some precip into the air mass and temps would be even better. As is I don't think temps would be an issue whatsoever and 10-1 I think would be easily achievable on non-paved/dark surfaces. 

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Actually it's a pretty cold look through our region (DC/Balt). 700's are plenty cold for snow growth. 850's on down are plenty fine. Excepting any sneaky mid-level warm layer the surface is the only place coming in above freezing and that by just a degree or two. Mind you these temps are even without the benefit of evaporational cooling. Get some precip into the air mass and temps would be even better. As is I don't think temps would be an issue whatsoever and 10-1 I think would be easily achievable on non-paved/dark surfaces. 

Hmm..well if it stays like that something to watch I think.  Hard to even get interested..it's the whole April thing that's killing it for me.  

Just now, stormtracker said:

Hmm..well if it stays like that something to watch I think.  Hard to even get interested..it's the whole April thing that's killing it for me.  

Sort of interested but like you I am pretty reserved about the possibilities. There is a good reason we don't do April snow well. Get this general look within 5 days and I might just start biting but until then I'll just observe. Besides I have already seen some changes to the overall pattern and expect more in the coming days. So lets see what shakes out a couple of days down the road first.

Archived