Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah it doesn't happen often. I don't recall the year, but there was a big low that retrograded SW from the NE and produced 2-3" here in early April. It occurred in the evening until about midnight, and by morning it was mostly melted. That is the only one that I can remember with actual accumulating snow in early April since I have lived in the lowlands.

Possible that big low over NE suppresses a southern stream storm if one can form.  It might leave enough room for us to get hit although it's a difficult setup for this time of year.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah it doesn't happen often. I don't recall the year, but there was a big low that retrograded SW from the NE and produced 2-3" here in early April. It occurred in the evening until about midnight, and by morning it was mostly melted. That is the only one that I can remember with actual accumulating snow in early April since I have lived in the lowlands.

I don’t remember the set up but certainly the year. April 9,1996, in the winter that would not end, saw snow for a large part of the day. Sometimes heavy. Hard to forget since I was getting married that upcoming Saturday. Despite good intensity and duration no real accumulation around the city and Fairfax. But I do seem to recall Dulles may have gotten around 3 inches. 

25 minutes ago, TJ3 said:

I don’t remember the set up but certainly the year. April 9,1996, in the winter that would not end, saw snow for a large part of the day. Sometimes heavy. Hard to forget since I was getting married that upcoming Saturday. Despite good intensity and duration no real accumulation around the city and Fairfax. But I do seem to recall Dulles may have gotten around 3 inches. 

That may be the one I am thinking of.

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro op swipes N Va with a couple inches Mon morning and then crushes ne Pa at day 10.

96' it snowed all day. Got 4 - 4.5" 

Yeah I saw that. Brings 1-2" through my yard verbatim. Next week sure does look interesting at 500 mb. Something could track underneath, but it would have to fall at night to snow and stick unless there is a wound up paste bomb or something. More than likely it just ends up chilly with some rain/snow showers at times.

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

3 in the next 15.

if only this pattern had set in a month earlier!!!

perhaps this is a sign the long term nao phase has flipped. It was due. 

We are just shortening the offseason.  The pattern does sort of scream snow, which is a hard thing to say on March 27 around here.  As Bob would say, The weather is gonna weather.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm ready for warmth but the extended winter doesn't bother me because I know the warm season will come soon no matter what. If we get an extra month of cold weather big deal it will be warm May through September regardless of pattern. 

Agree. I always have outside projects to do this time of year, and its nice if it is still chilly as there wont be tons of wasps congregating and flying around, and he carpenter bees wont show up early. Spring mosquitoes also wont come out too soon and I can methodically eradicate the larvae. One warm week in April and its all accelerated and everything goes to hell. Yeah, its mostly about the damn bugs for me, lol.

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Agree. I always have outside projects to do this time of year, and its nice if it is still chilly as there wont be tons of wasps congregating and flying around, and he carpenter bees wont show up early. Spring mosquitoes also wont come out too soon and I can methodically eradicate the larvae. One warm week in April and its all accelerated and everything goes to hell. Yeah, its mostly about the damn bugs for me, lol.

It helps my allergy season also. 

6 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Up this way I remember.. 83 ( just a kid) ,96, 2007, 2014 and I know there were others . Also several examples in the (Ludlum) books covering 1600s - 1900.

Palm Sunday storm was Mar 30th I believe 

Does anyone remember April 23, 1986?  We had about 2 inches on the grass in Charles County, MD.  It was my birthday.  I'll never forget when it snowed on my birthday.  

Archived