Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Alright, next (and probably last) threat! How'd the EURO look this afternoon?

Hard to tell because of the big time difference in panels but it looked more like the CMC to me. It's at least a little north of the GFS it would appear. Still probably worth watching, especially for DC and south. Baltimore should keep an eye out as well, but it's probably too far south for us.

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

it would be supportive of snow, but it really wants to take that la nina dive to the carolinas again.  might be the last chance this season.

I haven't been following the weekend deal much but the "downhill" trajectory isn't a good way to get anything big. Quick hitter and light precip at best imho. Ops may be showing half decent qpf now but my guess is that backs down as we get closer. I guess we're in the game though. lol

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I haven't been following the weekend deal much but the "downhill" trajectory isn't a good way to get anything big. Quick hitter and light precip at best imho. Ops may be showing half decent qpf now but my guess is that backs down as we get closer. I guess we're in the game though. lol

Looks like CMC was the best model if you wanted snowfall to reach DCA... and it was decent.  Probably last call FWIW 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

2 hours ago, yoda said:

Looks like CMC was the best model if you wanted snowfall to reach DCA... and it was decent.  Probably last call FWIW 

The early March clipper in 2007 took a similar track with that diving down trajectory. That one started further to the north/northwest and dove right into us. Mountains didn't eat it up either because of the angle it hit us. An extremely cold night followed that one with fresh snow cover, light winds and high pressure coming down. There doesn't seem to be anything to pull this one up and hit us but who knows.

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Bob... I agree... even if it takes a more northern route... the mountains would destroy the precip field.  It would be what amounts to an Alberta Clipper.

What an absolute mauling for my area on almost every single short and long term model. I can not believe we have a round two storm. Funny part is this may be the main course, when we just had the appetizer. An 8” appetizer is what I’m talking about!! 

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

Mount Holly discussion on the chances for Saturday as they see it now..

Another strong vort max moves southward from eastern Canada on Saturday as a separate vort max moves west- to- east through the central U.S. and interacts with the digging perturbation. Attendant surface low in the central plains Saturday looks to be shunted southward somewhat as it tracks into the Ohio/Tennessee Valleys. Just how far south is a challenging question, with considerable disagreement among the operational guidance. The GFS looks especially suspicious, though, given its very progressive evolution of the northern- stream vort max. The 12Z CMC/ECMWF are slower and (as a result) have the track of the southern- stream system a little farther north. This may give the Delmarva Peninsula a chance for some precipitation Saturday night and Sunday. Additionally, there are some indications that as the surface low intensifies off the coast that wraparound (light) precipitation may affect the eastern CWA on Sunday (aided by the passage of the main northern-stream vort max). Cannot discount chances of rain and/or snow for much (if any) of the area during this period, so kept slight-chance PoPs in the grids. If the southward- deflection of the southern-stream system occurs later than anticipated, this may bring somewhat heavier precipitation into the area (especially Delmarva). A low- confidence forecast exists for this period, to be sure.

Archived