• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

I don't mind being lower in snow due to climo WHEN I HIT MY OWN CLIMO.  When I don't even sniff 1/3 of my annual then yeah, its a kick to the balls.  I get 15" of snow on avg.  Places around me get 36" or more.  Cool.  Just let me get to the 15".  Not asking for 42" every year nor are my expectations of that every year.  Climo=happy and not envy of others.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Never understood that myself. Though I admit it can be painful sometimes watching others score big it just never made sense to wish them ill in regards to getting that snow. If snow is so important to you then move to it and quite bitching about climo here.

Yeah it can snow 4 months of the year in this area in general. There other/better reasons to live in a particular location.

I did the inverse of Mappy. Lived in Carroll county south of Westminster for 10+ years. where avg snowfall is 34-35", then moved over here where its 18-19.

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

I don't mind being lower in snow due to climo WHEN I HIT MY OWN CLIMO.  When I don't even sniff 1/3 of my annual then yeah, its a kick to the balls.  I get 15" of snow on avg.  Places around me get 36" or more.  Cool.  Just let me get to the 15".  Not asking for 42" every year nor are my expectations of that every year.  Climo=happy and not envy of others.

Basically.

I'm perfectly happy with how much snow I get when I actually GET SNOW

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

But that's the thing about climo. You have your good years and you have your bad years. And though this was one of the worst years it is still to be expected with our climo. Just like 09-10 is to be expected in our climo, it just happens to fall on the other end of the spectrum. Now if you want rough, try living through the 70's here as a kid that loves snow. Horrible decade until the 79 storm.

Our Winter Part III

As February rolled in with plenty of hope 

IMG_3769.thumb.PNG.d7aa13e97ba76bf8ae751c115334cacf.PNG

some of us were already feeling like a dope. 

Based on experience and a keen mind,  some  among us left winter behind. 

Not wanting to have to take another punch, our good friend Mitch decided to take a long lunch. 

But the rest of the forum would soldier on, not knowing it was destined to all go wrong. 

The gfs and euro enselbles looked best. But in the end everything went west.  

IMG_4643.GIF.f157dc997bef0046a27e5db37fc04e4b.GIF

But come mid month when all hope was lost, Mother Nature would increase the cost. 

During a torch suddenly hope appeared. Maybe the hurdle was cleared. 

Would Mother Nature deliver the snow we crave, by sending along a friendly wave 

IMG_4130.thumb.PNG.55bb411c6da84078e3b413aed000db9a.PNG

But while the euro promised to please, in the end it was mostly another tease.

IMG_4644.GIF.f3f4f51411700ef631e76d396f3fee7b.GIF

So February came and went without satisfaction. But blocking was coming, and surely March would bring a different reaction. 

RenderedContent-4DD65915-F57E-4B70-A838-72286CAF5B33.thumb.JPG.c7b1e3756234058986d5faa4ca1bb99a.JPG

41 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Always best for one to simply accept the climo where they live. Its the sane thing to do. 

Snow envy is such an ugly look.

Agreed.

40 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Never understood that myself. Though I admit it can be painful sometimes watching others score big it just never made sense to wish them ill in regards to getting that snow. If snow is so important to you then move to it and quite bitching about climo here.

Of course its painful to see others get snow while you miss out, but to legit cheer when they don't get it. Its just petty, immature and makes them look bad. 

1 hour ago, MountainGeek said:

Can those of us in the NW/western areas put in a special request for an honorable mention and a maybe a paragraph or two designated in remembrance of our special brand of fail so far? Check out the seasonal snowfall maps to date......even with the overall pathetic totals in the MA, we've somehow managed to do even worse. Right now we're looking at 3" TOTAL for the winter.....TX, LA, FL, and Mexico are embarrassing us at this point. 

I'll toss it in the credits. Part V

1 hour ago, PCT_ATC said:

Close game???  Close GAME???  come on, its been a laugher of a winter. We didn't even get up to bat. We didn't even get to warm the bench!  We didn't even get into the dugout.  We didnt even make up to to the bigs!.. etc etc etc..  pipe dreams baby.. pipe dream.

It's a close game between the Jets and Browns. 9-3 Jets with 1:39 left and the Browns have the ball at their own 25. No one cares that it's not over but it's not over. 

8 minutes ago, 87storms said:

that's the look we needed for this storm.  a nice high instead of some barreling 500 low.

When it counted, we just never got that look we needed. How effing backwards would it be if this played out though?  It won’t, but it would be one hell of story to tell the grandkids one day if it did. 

8 minutes ago, Scraff said:

When it counted, we just never got that look we needed. How effing backwards would it be if this played out though?  It won’t, but it would be one hell of story to tell the grandkids one day if it did. 

we're kinda due for a late march snowstorm.  real talk.

Our Winter Part IVa

So March took the stage and the blocking was legit. But to open the month a wind storm would hit. IMG_4652.GIF.d57815cb93d953595d5cc4a3d7cfb49b.GIF

Then followed closely by a typical miller b, even the liberals wanted to kick a tree 

IMG_4639.GIF.47ae17e8a055e74591b37ff8194768ab.GIF

But wait a third wave in the pattern did emerge, and hope renewed for a last second snow drought purge. 

The setup was good and the block looked amazing, against our better judgement hope was raising. 

IMG_4655.GIF.86dc266be579462f70745ec5534454a9.GIF

To be concluded...

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:

We need to track this. This is OUR snowstorm.

OUR—Like just ours only? Yeah baby!  We’re a team now! Like Thelma and Louise, Batman and Robin, and well......BJ McKay and his best friend Bear 

Oh wait, you meant for everyone didn’t you? I’m cool with that. :lol:

Our Winter Part IVb

But the northern stream squashed and the wave didn't phase.

IMG_4632.thumb.PNG.0d2a50dcdf357830c297f5ba30a75eaf.PNG

This final insult sent the board into a craze. 

IMG_4665.GIF.ad9f5ee1ed443afae3a810c6fa62fa46.GIFIMG_4648.GIF.b93a37f77db4df854be72013520d73b5.GIF

And as the final bell tolled on this sh!tty season, it was hard not to feel winter had committed us treason. 

For while our hopes and dreams in this Nina were meager and humble, Mother Nature felt it funny to have every one of our chances completely crumble. 

IMG_4645.GIF.f7a5458d3e41d3eba149e02161466639.GIF

But as snow lovers head into the abyss of Summer in despair, have hope, for a 3rd straight fail of these proportions would be cosmically rare. 

Our Winter Part V Credits Part a 

I would like to thank the following for the creation of our Winter. 

To Mappy, Stormtracker, H2O, Wxusaf, and all the other mods who keep the place between the lines. 

IMG_4667.JPG.7f11a755865154786c0dceafa4fe7b33.JPG

To Bob, CAPE, and Showmethesnow, thanks for holding down the long range thread with me all year. Once again we go to the end, the 4 horsemen into the breach  

IMG_4671.GIF.56b4b847225cdb2478090ef7dbca7795.GIF

To wxwatcher007 thanks for standing ever vigilant over our souls ready to take us to the other side. I am destined to forever feel the pain to the bitter end of winters time, but for the many who you offer sweet release I salute you 

IMG_4672.GIF.040e5120347cbc7d730a91ffdfca89a5.GIF

To the NW VA crew, I feel your pain.  It's been a truly epic fail.  For that thank you for reminding the rest of us that no matter how bad it is...it can always get worse.  

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.b34462e2df8ca2d1995ad681812828b2.JPG

To be continued...

Our Winter part V credits b

Shoutouts 

To everyone that feels the need to come into a thread devoted to long range weather discussion and tell us how stupid it is to discuss long range weather 

IMG_4638.GIF.909a9ee8bafdf16c36d002faa64dddd4.GIF

Stormy: how's the drought 

IMG_4666.GIF.fd8fb896f2f95affdadf073737aef829.GIF

Mdecoy thanks for reminding us how awful "OUR" climo is, everyday, all day, constantly, again and again, over and over, repeatedly, just in case we forget. 

IMG_4642.GIF.b12e0c2513c09b8a968bac19bea6630e.GIF

continued......

Shoutouts continued..

to Vice Regent...thanks for actually making me wish my home state of NJ really was under water just to shut you up.  

IMG_4640.GIF.14dc2b41dba59badaa0e4868c7237d21.GIF

Tenmen thanks for reminding me that when the pressure is 4mb lower in skatchkatoon lake then Cape Canaveral with a 7 degree temperature inversion from Pittsburgh to Atlantic City that a low in WV should travel on a steady ENE trajectory through NC and VA before crossing NJ without jumping and obviously I would know that if I didn't waste time looking at NWP which is just a government conspiracy. 

IMG_4677.GIF.c936ed15817ee42a66e56f551391a969.GIF

and WeathermanB for the constant updates on Delaware school closings and how much this wasn't like 2010. 2010. Is next year like 2010?  Do you think this storm can be like 2010?  What has to happen to get 2010 again?  Wouldn't this setup be like 2010?  Did you know about 2010? Btw 2010. 

And yet more...

Archived