Newest Member
    Dano62
March 7-8 possible snow threat

The Iceman

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mt holly just hoisted the warnings for 7-10" out this way

Saw that. They slashed expected totals a fair amt overall on portions of their expected snowfall map. I went from 12-18" down to 10" here on the map (not complaining.....seems very reasonable). Fits my 5-10" call from yesterday. My point and click is 5-7" for Doylestown with significant sleet mixing.    70a902c7d5c7cd1ad7a46463b1813cca.jpg&key=324a9b8f92ff3a9256506d6102db26a244c8a4505c2284a41ea1dc2faff6975b

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:
20 minutes ago, penndotguy said:
Mt holly just hoisted the warnings for 7-10" out this way

Saw that. They slashed expected totals a fair amt overall on their expected snowfall map. I went from 12-18" down to 10" there (not complaining.....seems very reasonable). Fits my 5-10" call from yesterday. My point and click is also generally 5-10" now. Works for me. My biggest event of the season incoming......we take.

Hey my thinking is, as long as Im not partly sunny as folks just to East are getting slammed, Ill take what I can get. Lol

Hey my thinking is, as long as Im not partly sunny as folks just to East are getting slammed, Ill take what I can get. Lol
You quoted me before I could fix my typo lol. Point and click is 5-7" here fwiw:

PAZ106-062100- Lower Bucks- Including the cities of Morrisville and Doylestown 331 AM EST Tue Mar 6 2018 ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 3 AM EST

THURSDAY... .TODAY...Sunny early this morning, then becoming partly sunny. A slight chance of rain this afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s. North winds around 5 mph, becoming southeast this afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent. .

TONIGHT...Rain and snow. Snow accumulation around an inch. Lows in the lower 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. .

WEDNESDAY...Snow, rain and sleet in the morning, then snow in the afternoon. Additional snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. Cooler. Near steady temperature in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent. .

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...Mostly cloudy in the evening, then becoming partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of snow. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Cold. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

There is a sneaky warm tongue coming in now on the NAM soundings due to later and slower development which isnt allowing for as quickly of a collapse in thermals. Whether right or wrong this is what Mt Holly is seeing as well and why they noted sleet and more mixing probably. Cant ignore that completely on the hi res stuff.

Heaviest snow axis shifted N on the 6z RGEM as well with more mixing. Thinking mixing is going to be an issue especially S and E of say central lower Chestco, central Montco, central Bucks. N of there say a line from West Chester, Pottstown, Gilbertsville, Doylestown, Quakertown should be all snow and do very well. There is going to be a sharp gradient between heavy snow amounts and a few inches with lots of sleet/rain mixed in. System on the mesos looks tight to the coast in addition to slower development. Banding *could* play a role in precip type but there is a warm nose showing up on hi res models and it keeps punching farther N each run....very much like last March 13 storm. Maybe we can swing the other way the next couple of runs, still time and I wouldnt write it off just yet either. Confident I eek out my biggest snow of the season......many others should do the same. Just thinking some of the 12-18" total will be confined farther N into the Lehigh Valley and NE PA. Classic early March climo storm incoming.

Looking at the nam sounding for 6z and it's a near disaster for extreme se pa. Really any more ticks west at 12z and lower bucks s and e is pretty much out of the game for anything other than white rain and sleet. Even central bucks and montco should be very worried. Getting vibes of last year big time and my enthusiasm has been majorly slashed for this event this morning imby.

Not liking the trends at 6z at all. Getting last year vibes big time. If it continues at 12z I'm writing off 95 for warning level snows.
We still have some time to reverse the trend but yeah, this really looks alot like last March 13. Classic climo favored event. Storm hasnt been written off just some shifting of the heaviest snow btw for those thinking this is a storm cancel thing it isnt. Just that totals will be more realistic and more depictive of a typical March snowstorm with LV, Poconos, NE PA jackpot.

Insane the euro is gonna be off by low position 200 miles 72 hours out... Thought for sure we d tick east at 00z because the euro was so far east but everything continuing to point toward coastal hugger is going to doom everyone around 95 s and e imo if it holds or ticks west again at 12z and this could be a rain event for areas under winter storm warnings at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
17 minutes ago, The Iceman said:
Not liking the trends at 6z at all. Getting last year vibes big time. If it continues at 12z I'm writing off 95 for warning level snows.

We still have some time to reverse the trend but yeah, this really looks alot like last March 13. Classic climo favored event. Storm hasnt been written off just some shifting of the heaviest snow btw for those thinking this is a storm cancel thing it isnt. Just that totals will be more realistic and more depictive of a typical March snowstorm with LV, Poconos, NE PA jackpot.

Yeah what scares me is we got 5.5" frozen on like 2" liquid March 13 last year.. with this storm having less qpf, a similar event with less qpf and worse thermals is basically a non event...

What hurts is the slower development of lp but more importantly there is only marginally cold air prior to the storm. This time of year to really score we need a perfect track in this setup which we can still achieve. The CRAS which is usually West takes a perfect track and is East of the NAM for example.....crushes all of E PA with 1'+

Archived