• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

This is the latest Upton map

83E378ED-B28F-4B8F-B439-8ABC19312EC2.jpeg

Yeah that's the one I tried to post but it went back to the old image. That's a common problem that only stops if you attach the image, which I cannot do because the file size is too large.

3 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

for who..maybe for you but not for those of us in central jersey as we watch that rain line creep closer with every run

The rain is because of the mid-level cyclones tracking near, limiting the lift and also bringing in warmer air. Like I said, if those centers pass further offshore, it's less of an issue.

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

As long as the mid-level cyclones stay offshore we should be okay.

Again, the biggest threat for busting low with this storm is the dry slot.

Depending on location, mixing could be a bigger issue as a cause of lower totals then the DS. 

Just now, strgazr27 said:

Depending on location, mixing could be a bigger issue as a cause of lower totals then the DS. 

Yeah but that's directly tied to the mid-level centers. If they pass further offshore, both mixing and dry slotting become less of a threat.

Honestly it looks almost unanimous on the models that the NYC metro will see less snow then what was thought earlier. But once again a highly fluid situation where now casting will be the utmost importance. I still think the NYC metro will see several inches of snow but may not make the double digits. Time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

This is bad forecasting and frankly beneath you, Don.  Climatology shouldn't enter into a short term forecast like this because it is already accounted for in the models.  Put differently, the model already knows the water temp, the sun angle, the antecedent airmass temperature and still shows the threat; correcting for climatology is double-counting.

Normally when you post, you're talking about long range forecasts.  There, climatology is relevant because all long range model forecasts should be regressed to the mean and climatology is the mean you regress to.  But a short term forecast shouldn't be regressed because the certainty is much, much higher (and to the extent it should be regressed, it needs to be regressed based on the initial conditions - i.e. you wouldn't assume a storm would track west of the model output because it's March, because spring storms don't 'want' to hug the coast unless induced to by the upper air pattern.

Notwithstanding all of this, 4-8" probably an entirely reasonable forecast as a blended mean informed by meteorology, but historic climatology isn't an appropriate or scientific adjustment to the modeled forecast.  

Which is why they’re wrong sometimes. I see nothing wrong with dons post or his call. He’s one of the VERY FEW on here worth listening to. Personally I think 8” for NYC or any place on LI may be wishful thinking. Call it bad forecasting if you want but model runs, trends, local climatology and yes, history all play into my call. FWIW

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yeah but that's directly tied to the mid-level centers. If they pass further offshore, both mixing and dry slotting become less of a threat.

Agreed, but at this time I don’t see it shifting that Far East. That’s all I was saying. 

The last three runs of the HRRR for 12Z tomorrow have shifted the surface low at least a few miles east at the same latitude each run.  Maybe noise, maybe wipers, maybe a slightly faster track off the coast before the turn.
Imo, nothing is off the table yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Honestly it looks almost unanimous on the models that the NYC metro will see less snow then what was thought earlier. But once again a highly fluid situation where now casting will be the utmost importance. I still think the NYC metro will see several inches of snow but may not make the double digits. Time will tell. 

I hope we can salvage a good 4-8. And hopefully it isn't a compacted mess.

5 minutes ago, strgazr27 said:

Which is why they’re wrong sometimes. I see nothing wrong with dons post or his call. He’s one of the VERY FEW on here worth listening to. Personally I think 8” for NYC or any place on LI may be wishful thinking. Call it bad forecasting if you want but model runs, trends, local climatology and yes, history all play into my call. FWIW

"Trends" don't exist.  If the last run of a model moved a storm track east, it doesn't make the next run more likely to go further east.  Models don't 'correct' in that way.  

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Looks like the 18z GFS is all rain for NYC, again, I wouldn't give this much weight with regards to thermal profiles.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_4.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_5.png

Not really. Here is the KJFK sounding. Look at the bottom right. Best guess on precip (even though the precip maps have RAIN)

gfs_2018030618_024_KJFK.png

1 minute ago, weatherlogix said:

Not really. Here is the KJFK sounding. Look at the bottom right. Best guess on precip (even though the precip maps have RAIN)

gfs_2018030618_024_KJFK.png

I see what you're saying but temps are a good 2-4 degrees above freezing aren't they? If that verified, it would be a lot of white rain based on that sounding I believe.

4 minutes ago, strgazr27 said:

I can't say and will have to take his word for it, but I have seen a pro met here last year do precisely that  and he nailed the March bust, not ignoring the science ( he was seeing the warm layers ) but also looking at history of March storms. I can't wade into it too much because I don't know the science. Didn't mean to put Don on the spot so much. 

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I see what you're saying but temps are a good 2-4 degrees above freezing aren't they? If that verified, it would be a lot of white rain based on that sounding I believe.

Ironically and in typical GFS fashion at 30, with the temp 33 and the rest of the column cold it says best guess: RAIN

gfs_2018030618_030_KJFK.png

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Even though it starts out way west, the snowfall maps are basically the same for the GENERAL area as 12z. 

Amazing that this trend is not stopping at all. GFS going to pull the upset?

What ?

It's way better than 12z

8 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

"Trends" don't exist.  If the last run of a model moved a storm track east, it doesn't make the next run more likely to go further east.  Models don't 'correct' in that way.  

So what are the models useful for? Serious question, not being snide.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived