• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tempestatis014 said:

How much wind are we talking with this thing? I know it'll be less than Friday's.

it's conceivable parts of the immediate jersey shore see some gusts to 50mph mid-morning to early afternoon, same on long island a bit later. 45-55KT modeled at 925mb on most guidance, and should be some efficient mixing with convection, rapid deepening of low to mid-level cyclones and potential gravity waves.

Examples of posts you should not be making in this thread:

-GFS SUCKS!!! It's an embarrassment

-Why are you downplaying the storm based on one lousy run wait for the Euro!!

-Gonna be a big time bust for the city and coast, all rain (with no analysis to back it up)

-DT is saying 12"+!!

-The coast has been getting slammed too many times, interior deserves it (or vice versa)

-Weren't you the guy saying last night it's gonna be a major hit?

-3" isn't a big deal, 12" is a big deal

-How much for my location (when you can see from prior posts/maps what's being shown, other threads such as Vendor and what others are calling for)

Etc, etc etc

Posts like these should be in Banter, or better yet just don't make them. Or send it via PM. This thread is for thoughtful, analytical posts only. Posts like the ones above will be deleted. 

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

it's conceivable parts of the immediate jersey shore see some gusts to 50mph mid-morning to early afternoon, same on long island a bit later. 45-55KT modeled at 925mb on most guidance, and should be some efficient mixing with convection, rapid deepening of low to mid-level cyclones and potential gravity waves.

Thanks. It isn't fun when you have to sail in that for school... but I bet it will get cancelled

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Examples of posts you should not be making in this thread:

-GFS SUCKS!!! It's an embarrassment

-Why are you downplaying the storm based on one lousy run wait for the Euro!!

-Gonna be a big time bust for the city and coast, all rain (with no analysis to back it up)

-DT is saying 12"+!!

-The coast has been getting slammed too many times, interior deserves it (or vice versa)

-Weren't you the guy saying last night it's gonna be a major hit?

-3" isn't a big deal, 12" is a big deal

-How much for my location (when you can see from prior posts/maps what's being shown, other threads such as Vendor and what others are calling for)

Etc, etc etc

Posts like these should be in Banter, or better yet just don't make them. Or send it via PM. This thread is for thoughtful, analytical posts only. Posts like the ones above will be deleted. 

The point needs to be made on how incredibly bad GFS has been, so people don't freak out over what it's showing.

Just now, David-LI said:

That spot of higher snowfall amounts keeps showing up over Nassau county in some models. Hope it verifies.

I'm wary of trusting the Hi-Res Canadian after how snowy it had this area the last storm, but it gives me some confidence the GFS/NAM are overamped. If the Euro still holds serve soon, I'll have more confidence. We can still salvage a decent snow event near the coast with a track not too east of the GFS/NAM now given how tightly wound the storm should be. The 12"+ stuff I just don't buy for this area though. By decent event, I mean maybe reaching warning criteria. NYC has a better chance at 6-8" or so. I'll give a guess once the Euro comes out. 

21 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I use the E-Wall for tracking the storm. For whatever reason, for the GFS the isobars are off the NJ coast, but the surface wind depiction has the low inside Ocean County NJ at hr 36. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/GFS13PA_12z/gfsloop.html

Using the surface wind depiction, it then essentially tracks over my head, and then into SE Mass. It's the most amped by far of the models I see. 

Thanks, although to be clear, even if TT is not absolutely "correct" in its depiction of the surface low, one would think that it's at least internally consistent and TT shows the SLP making a significant jog NW along the NJ coast at 6Z and 12Z vs. 00Z last night and that jog made a major shift in the rain/snow line to the NW.  It may be wrong, but it at least appears to be internally consistent at TT.  I'm not a met, so it's still possible I'm missing something here (and yes, I've read enough to know the GFS thermal profiles are not to be trusted).  

Just now, RU848789 said:

Thanks, although to be clear, even if TT is not absolutely "correct" in its depiction of the surface low, one would think that it's at least internally consistent and TT shows the SLP making a significant jog NW along the NJ coast at 6Z and 12Z vs. 00Z last night and that jog made a major shift in the rain/snow line to the NW.  It may be wrong, but it at least appears to be internally consistent at TT.  I'm not a met, so it's still possible I'm missing something here (and yes, I've read enough to know the GFS thermal profiles are not to be trusted).  

The mid level low tracks to me on this GFS run are concerning for NYC because 700/850 appear to track essentially overhead. That would be enough to dryslot and bring warm mid level (and surface) air in. If it's 40-50 miles southeast of that, it would be much better and match up with the colder models. The UKMET not biting on a more amped track is a bit encouraging. 

22 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

How far inland is that expected?

Ukmet did make a slight move towards the Americans initially with the low now hitting Jersey Shore. Comparison below.
I am worried about the trends and when do they stop.
P1_GZ_D5_PN_030_0000.gif.0dfaa0cca8ddcdc7b77f2614470d75f9.gif
P1_GZ_D5_PN_042_0000.gif.778583fbc1d216a247b88d8e3aa1b150.gif
Again.. Touching the coast is not the issue here, imo. It's where exactly it does and whether it shunts exactly east or continues to move NNE. With the blocking of the NAO... Im not so stuck on the idea of it coming so close to LI

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The surface low is very likely to make it to around ACY. The make or break for the city and even many coastal areas is what happens after-does it keep heading north like the GFS and NAM, or slide ENE like the Canadian, UKMET? When do the closing off upper air lows start to vertically stack and allow a more eastward jog? If that happens SE of NYC and Long Island, we're in pretty good shape. If it happens overhead, it's a problem. 

Seems like most of the time that storms pull over ACY the R/S line at least makes as far north as the South Shore of Long Island regardless of the track after.
Majority of the time, yes (barring a cold January storm with an anchored source of low level cold to spill in). However, this is why the solutions showing the Chesapeake and OC MD I would prefer (assuming it moves in a manner conducive for snow on LI following this)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived