• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see here how the dry slot never quite makes it to NYC on the 3k NAM, but it stretches up into CT.

I would stress that what you're looking at is a composite reflectivity simulation which is both highly inaccurate, and doesn't account for virga real well.

sketched_5a9ea5d7bbfee.png

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

So whenever you have mid-level cyclones passing nearby, you have sinking air, which naturally causes a dry slot, similar to why the eye of a hurricane is clear, of course that's an extreme case, but you can get eyes on some of these nor'easters. If I could post a model image showing relative humidity, you could easily see the dry air. @forkyfork posted one yesterday.

So there will always be a dry slot somewhere....

If you look at the overall pattern: -PNA which tries to pump the SE ridge, little resistance to the northeast of the trough, and little blocking standing in the way, it was clear this could be a storm that may go crazy amped like this. 

I’m going to wait for the rest of 12z to come in, but this isn’t what you want to see at all if you live near the coast, and probably the city too. And the Euro has had its share of short term busts lately, so it’s hard to throw in too much to it.

Just now, North and West said:

I like snow, don't get me wrong (and MMU had 18" in the Millennium Storm), but I really don't want to lose power and heat again. 

The snow on Nov 7 after Sandy did not cause us to lose power again, if that's any consolation, and it was a wet snow.

Just now, jm1220 said:

If you look at the overall pattern: -PNA which tries to pump the SE ridge, little resistance to the northeast of the trough, and little blocking standing in the way, it was clear this could be a storm that may go crazy amped like this. 

I’m going to wait for the rest of 12z to come in, but this isn’t what you want to see at all if you live near the coast, and probably the city too. And the Euro has had its share of short term busts lately, so it’s hard to throw in too much to it.

People should be happy with a few inches in March.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

So whenever you have mid-level cyclones passing nearby, you have sinking air, which naturally causes a dry slot, similar to why the eye of a hurricane is clear, of course that's an extreme case, but you can get eyes on some of these nor'easters. If I could post a model image showing relative humidity, you could easily see the dry air. @forkyfork posted one yesterday.

It's not just the dry slot though. Everybody sees anywhere from .75 to 1.25" liquid yet only 2 to 5" if snow in and around the city so it's alot of white rain or melting going on as well

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Much of the city is part of the coast. People forget that; it's a coastal city. With ports. It has beaches.There are saltwater fish all the way to the Tappan Zee.

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's not just the dry slot though. Everybody sees anywhere from .75 to 1.25" liquid yet only 2 to 5" if snow in and around the city so it's alot of white rain or melting going on as well

Too many people are overreacting to one run of the NAM, still roughly 24 hours prior to the start of the storm.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Uh oh, sounds like you're lowering your expectations, partner....but I do agree.

I am

I mean it's possible we can still see 6 + but if the nam and gfs are correct ,  we will see at best a few inches but of course it will come down to the CCB.

As we discussed yesterday.. Writing may be on the wall for the coast

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

What does a dry slot look like on these various graphs, serious question

You typically want to use the 700mb level to locate the dry intrusion. You can see on the NAM that mid-level drying gets almost back to the CT/NY border... even if it's still precipitating, that is liable to warm and desaturate the DGZ, which would hamper totals à la March 2017.

y8yhFRu.png

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Much of the city is part of the coast. People forget that; it's a coastal city. With ports. It has beaches.There are saltwater fish all the way to the Tappan Zee.

I would only consider SI and Brooklyn to be along the coast with Queens, Manhattan and especially The Bronx away from the immediate coast.  This storm could have wild differences between the northern sections of The Bronx as opposed to southern Brooklyn.

Just now, allgame830 said:

I would only consider SI and Brooklyn to be along the coast with Queens, Manhattan and especially The Bronx away from the immediate coast.  This storm could have wild differences between the northern sections of The Bronx as opposed to southern Brooklyn.

I live in the north Bronx and I could see 8-10" here while JFK gets 2-4".

4 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

at 30 hrs on the 3K nam the majority of the column, up to 775MB for the Oceanside area is at or above 0C.

Verbatim that NAM is a brief period of snow to heavy rain, to dryslot, to maybe a period of snow after the dryslot where we are. Would be at most 2 or 3” of slop that odds are would be washed away in the heavy rain. We’re still close so a little east of that track might be OK here, but it’s concerning this close in that the NAM is trending west like this. 

With the EURO only running every 12 hours, it's at a major disadvantage with these tight-margin setups under 48 hours. Who's to say that the model wouldn't output a significantly different solution were it to run just an hour or two after its run? But it has to wait half a day, after three or more runs from other models, so it's perceived as being late to catch on.

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Not Manhattan. It's maritime. At least lower Manhattan is. Used to take the boat there from Sandy Hook all the time.

2 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I live in the north Bronx and I could see 8-10" here while JFK gets 2-4".

Yes I agree... I am not really worried about myself in Northern Westchester where I am 10 miles north of 287 but I rather sacrifice a few inches so the whole metro can cash in!!!

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived