• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mt.Holly's update around midnight suggested they were waiting on this run to probably pull the trigger for more warnings and upping amounts. 

Definitely can see a 4/5AM package with new warnings and upping amounts where the previous I95 battleground was with higher amounts, but worded cautiously. 

Can any of the more experienced guys, give me an unbiased opinion of whether you think this snow will accumulate on concrete? I know most March snows can have 8 inches on grass, and only 2 inches on concrete. I need to know whether I should schedule a plow to take care of all of my properties. Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, rnl13 said:

Can any of the more experienced guys, give me an unbiased opinion of whether you think this snow will accumulate on concrete? I know most March snows can have 8 inches on grass, and only 2 inches on concrete. I need to know whether I should schedule a plow to take care of all of my properties. Thanks in advance

Given the potential for heavy snow in this, it won't have any problem accumulating on concrete where it's coming down. Where are you located?

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Given the potential for heavy snow in this, it won't have any problem accumulating on concrete where it's coming down. Where are you located?

All over Queens. Thanks man I really appreciate it!

Just now, jm1220 said:

Newest 6z HRRR has widespread 9-12" amounts from the city east through central Suffolk (6" at Riverhead) through 7pm with decent snow still coming down. Looks to be getting colder each run. 

Some of our locals are now saying there's a chance it never changes to rain except for the east end.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Some of our locals are now saying there's a chance it never changes to rain except for the east end.

In the last HRRR run I can't see anything besides the surface for Nassau/western Suffolk which could cause rain/sleet, very bottom of the column is 33-34F. 850-925 layer has been cooling off the last few runs. Eastern Suffolk has warmer surface temps which could mess things up. What a change from this morning.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

In the last HRRR run I can't see anything besides the surface for Nassau/western Suffolk which could cause rain/sleet, very bottom of the column is 33-34F. 850-925 layer has been cooling off the last few runs. Eastern Suffolk has warmer surface temps which could mess things up. What a change from this morning.

Any change in the track of the storm?  Late news mets were talking about a further east track to near the benchmark on PIX 11.

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

In the last HRRR run I can't see anything besides the surface for Nassau/western Suffolk which could cause rain/sleet, very bottom of the column is 33-34F. Eastern Suffolk has warmer surface temps which could mess things up. What a change from this morning.

Well it still hasn’t happened yet. But it’s pretty much the opposite of what happened last year. As the event got closer it kept getting worse. I’m still worried about you and I being so close to the water. The last thing we want is for garden city to get 12” and we get 3”. Still a distinct possibility. Once we get into the ccb it’s should rip everywhere and that’s when we safely accumulate. 

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well it still hasn’t happened yet. But it’s pretty much the opposite of what happened last year. As the event got closer it kept getting worse. I’m still worried about you and being so close to the water. The last thing we want is for garden city to get 12” and we get 3”. Still a distinct possibility. Once we get into the ccb it’s should rip everywhere and that’s when we safely accumulate. 

Never can shake that risk here for sure, but I'm thinking we might be OK even down here. The HRRR trend toward a further south 850/700 low has been pretty steady the last few runs along with better soundings, and the Euro run backs it up. It's snowing to beat the band outside now and sticking on cars/grass. The trend toward a nice CCB is also a great sign. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

6z NAM is even colder than 0z, heavy snow pretty much everywhere at some point and WOW at what it shows for the NYC area mid afternoon with crazy VVs at 700. CCB rakeage for sure, which pushes east later.

Looks even more like the Millenium storm now.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

No, because that storm pushed north, this one looks to hit near ACY and pivot east. That also rakes east on the Island 

So wait, if that happens, it would never mix or change anywhere on the island?  I think that's the classic track where the storm bends east around the latitude of ACY and heads for the benchmark.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived