• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

The hand-wringing by public officials over whether to close school in NYC was always so alien to me. Snow days throughout the winter are just part of life, and have been for generations, in most places. 

They have to add it to the end of the school year I think....not exactly sure. But I agreed that it's just part of winter....in NYC...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

The hand-wringing by public officials over whether to close school in NYC was always so alien to me. Snow days throughout the winter are just part of life, and have been for generations, in most cold climates. 

Not in New England, according to my sources. They laugh at the snow days here; my fellow social worker is from NH. That said, even they wouldn't open in this kinda storm. My BIL in ME said when he was a kid they only closed for ice, not snow.

They have to add it to the end of the school year I think....not exactly sure. But I agreed that it's just part of winter....in NYC...
Federal funding. It all comes down to federal funding. As long as school is in session that day they receive it. If they close, they lose money. Someone explained why it is not made up for a snow day, but, being honest, I forgot.

1 minute ago, sferic said:

Rain for the meat of it where ? Suffolk or most of LI?

Eastern Suffolk still looks like much of the front part could be rain or mix. Surface temps look a little higher there and it gets really close/over freezing at 850 for a time. Further west, the wind comes off more land so temps should be colder. I'm not so concerned here about surface temps, I'm more concerned about how close the mid level warmth makes it. 

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The hand-wringing by public officials over whether to close school in NYC was always so alien to me. Snow days throughout the winter are just part of life, and have been for generations, in most cold climates. 

There are a million kids in the NYC public schools. For hundreds of thousands, the schools provide a safer, stabler environment during the day. When school is canceled it's a big deal for lots of families.

1 minute ago, Mark McIntyre said:

Some districts can't due to Project Graduation; the last day can't be changed, so they build in 3 days then take away from holidays, starting with President's Day.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Not in New England, according to my sources. They laugh at the snow days here; my fellow social worker is from NH. That said, even they wouldn't open in this kinda storm. My BIL in ME said when he was a kid they only closed for ice, not snow.

wy should they laugh when their is a big snowstorm boston closes their schools not for one day but 2 days nyc has not done that for any storm except for sandy

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

NYC public schools never used to close, and the world didn’t end. This idea of closing is a new concept and pretty pointless in Manhattan. Outer boroughs are somewhat of a different story.

absolutely - people are absurdly soft nowadays

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
2 minutes ago, Mark McIntyre said:

Federal funding. It all comes down to federal funding. As long as school is in session that day they receive it. If they close, they lose money. Someone explained why it is not made up for a snow day, but, being honest, I forgot.

State funding, which is vastly more important. They could close for the year in May if they wanted, but would lose funding. This was an issue in 94. There are emergency provisions in cases of fire or something, not for snow.

3 minutes ago, hooralph said:

There are a million kids in the NYC public schools. For hundreds of thousands, the schools provide a safer, stabler environment during the day. When school is canceled it's a big deal for lots of families.

The schools are a huge social service agency. A lot of kids get their lunch and breakfast there, which eases the burden on some families. But still, can't feed the kids if the staff can't get in.

State funding, which is vastly more important. They could close for the year in May if they wanted, but would lose funding. This was an issue in 94. There are emergency provisions in cases of fire or something, not for snow.
Ah. I stand corrected. Thank you for the info

Just now, weatherpruf said:

The schools are a huge social service agency. A lot of kids get their lunch and breakfast there, which eases the burden on some families. But still, can't feed the kids if the staff can't get in.

Absolutely. I was just highlighting why it is a very tough decision for them. 

Just now, USCG RS said:
4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

if the have to many snow days they will make it up by curtailing some days from winter recess .. they will find a way...

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Federal funding is important as well though. My position for example, is a federal grant.

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Or if the kids get stranded themselves on the way in. Nothing anyone does in a situation like this will make anyone happy. What used to get me annoyed was Bloomberg who would go on TV for a press conference and tell people to stay home -- but that the City schools were open and all City employees were expected to show up to work.

8 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

if the have to many snow days they will make it up by curtailing some days from winter recess .. they will find a way...

Yes it's unlikely they will need more snow days this year, go ahead and use one. If you use them all take a day or two from the break. I've done that many times, in 96 we got Good Friday and that was it.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived